oliminator123

COVID - League Plans?

9 minutes ago, Moveless said:

any chance Mondays game is in danger with all the positive tests on NY?

Yes, I would plan accordingly.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Moveless said:

Maybe 5 weeks ago.  Since then, the NFL has learned how to ignore Covid successfully.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, kp96 said:

Like I said, I don't disagree that the player bears a lot of fault here.  I just wonder if the Panthers management figured "hey, this is an opportunity to lay down the law on the organization" and made him the sacrificial lamb.  As I said, this doesn't happen to CMC.

There's no salary cap implications of cutting a taxi squad player, totally different when a proven player has a ton of guaranteed cash and would have massive knock-on effects. Leverage works both ways, nothing new about that.

I think you're reading into this too much, SEA cut a fringe player earlier this season for sneaking someone into camp too and I don't think anyone really thought twice about it.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Moveless said:

Worst case is they say they can't have anymore positive tests for a couple days in order to play Tuesday and then like magic all the tests suddenly don't come back positive.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, trilly said:

There's no salary cap implications of cutting a taxi squad player, totally different when a proven player has a ton of guaranteed cash and would have massive knock-on effects. Leverage works both ways, nothing new about that.

I think you're reading into this too much, SEA cut a fringe player earlier this season for sneaking someone into camp too and I don't think anyone really thought twice about it.

Fair enough.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports a Broncos offensive lineman and Vikings linebacker tested positive for COVID-19.

This comes after the Broncos placed OL coach Mike Munchak under COVID-19 protocols Thursday. It's the second player case for the Vikings, who sent CB Cameron Dantzler to the reserve/COVID-19 list earlier this week. Both teams will need no new positive tests over the next two days for their games to be played.

Not looking great for Broncos/Chargers game

33 minutes ago, beerfish said:

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports a Broncos offensive lineman and Vikings linebacker tested positive for COVID-19.

This comes after the Broncos placed OL coach Mike Munchak under COVID-19 protocols Thursday. It's the second player case for the Vikings, who sent CB Cameron Dantzler to the reserve/COVID-19 list earlier this week. Both teams will need no new positive tests over the next two days for their games to be played.

Packers Vikings would be a devastating game to lose for fantasy purposes. I know I'd be scrambling at RB if that game is postponed. 

7 hours ago, beerfish said:

Meh they've said this before, had a positive test on Sunday, pushed it to Tuesday and still had the game. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, beerfish said:

If they need no new positives everyone just became immune to COVID so all good.

16 hours ago, Gohawks said:

If they need no new positives everyone just became immune to COVID so all good.

Yes, that's how the NFL seems to think Covid works.

The lack of consistency is what is maddening.  Games were cancelled before in past. Why is it any different now? Now somebody has a positive test, if everybody is negative the next day, that player just doesn't play and the game goes on.

The NFL seems to be following the erroneous "as long as I'm negative it means I'm not incubating" line of thinking.

At this point in the season, as some teams have had their byes already, there is starting to be much less flexibility in terms of postponing games and swapping bye weeks.  Which means the games will go on.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, CooL said:

The NFL seems to be following the erroneous "as long as I'm negative it means I'm not incubating" line of thinking.

I ask everyone in this thread to just please google "incubation period". It does NOT mean how long before you test positive. It means how long the virus replicates in your body to the point where you start exhibiting symptoms. Hep B has an incubation period of up to half a year. That absolutely does not mean if I contract it I won't test positive for six months. A virus is binary, you either have it, or you don't. 

Now that said, testing is in its infancy, meaning not excellent, so is it possible an hour after the virus is first contracted the test isn't advanced enough to pick up trace amounts? Sure, that's possible. 

But all things considered I'd say the NFL is doing about as good a job as you possibly could with this. I'm a little surprised with the amount of negativity/backlash towards the NFL in here on this topic. We're into week 8 and we've had very few games moved. That's great for us as fans. 

Edited by BGDDYKWL
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CooL said:

Yes, that's how the NFL seems to think Covid works.

The lack of consistency is what is maddening.  Games were cancelled before in past. Why is it any different now? Now somebody has a positive test, if everybody is negative the next day, that player just doesn't play and the game goes on.

At this point in the season, as some teams have had their byes already, there is starting to be much less flexibility in terms of postponing games and swapping bye weeks.  Which means the games will go on.

Goodell:

I dunno what they're doing, but it's working. If they had a serious problem with people getting sick there'd be no way to keep a lid on it. If a player ended up seriously ill or hospitalized; it'd be a massive story.

Edited by LongBalls

3 minutes ago, LongBalls said:

I dunno what they're doing, but it's working. If they had a serious problem with people getting sick there'd be no way to keep a lid on it. If a player ended up seriously ill or hospitalized; it'd be a massive story.

Like Ryquell Armstead?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Like Ryquell Armstead?

His condition pre-dates the season. I'm talking about one of these instances blowing up and guys ending up out for the season, or something. Hasn't happened.

Edited by LongBalls

7 minutes ago, LongBalls said:

His condition pre-dates the season. I'm talking about one of these instances blowing up and guys ending up out for the season, or something. Hasn't happened.

Ok - seems like an arbitrary distinction, though.  Regardless of when he contracted the virus, he is a player that ended up seriously ill and hospitalized (multiple times).

6 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Ok - seems like an arbitrary distinction, though.  Regardless of when he contracted the virus, he is a player that ended up seriously ill and hospitalized (multiple times).

Well yes, but it's easy for the league to distance itself from that specific case and continue to do what they are doing. Armstead did not contract anything during the course of play, which is really what matters for the continuation of the season. Similarly, a lot of these cases happened off the facility and could be isolated before spread. The issue for the NFL would be a serious on-field event.

Edited by LongBalls
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, BGDDYKWL said:

I ask everyone in this thread to just please google "incubation period". It does NOT mean how long before you test positive. It means how long the virus replicates in your body to the point where you start exhibiting symptoms. Hep B has an incubation period of up to half a year. That absolutely does not mean if I contract it I won't test positive for six months. A virus is binary, you either have it, or you don't. 

Now that said, testing is in its infancy, meaning not excellent, so is it possible an hour after the virus is first contracted the test isn't advanced enough to pick up trace amounts? Sure, that's possible. 

But all things considered I'd say the NFL is doing about as good a job as you possibly could with this. I'm a little surprised with the amount of negativity/backlash towards the NFL in here on this topic. We're into week 8 and we've had very few games moved. That's great for us as fans. 

I'm a little unclear if we have the same understanding of incubation period or not.  I am VERY familiar with what incubation period means.  The incubation period is the number of days between when you're infected with something to when you start showing symptoms.  The CDC says for Covid that the incubation period is 2-14 days.  People who get infected with Covid can spread it to others 2-3 days before symptoms start and are most contagious 1-2 days before they start feeling sick.

The virus replicates.  The "viral load" builds.  It's not binary.  Magic Johnson has an undetectable HIV viral load.  So he's considered not infectious.  But if your viral load increases, then that's when you start to show symptoms.  The point is that an NFL player can be exposed to somebody who has Covid, test negative the next day, but could still be in the 2-14 day incubation period yet the league is letting these players play on.  They may test negative every day between now and Sunday, but that doesn't mean they're not still incubating the virus.  The game plays on Sunday, and then a player can test positive on Monday.  That means that everybody he played with and against is potentially now again exposed.

In the beginning, it seemed like the league was taking this more seriously.  Just like in baseball.  The Cardinals had positive players, I don't they think they played for 10 days, which some would say is the expected incubation period (even though CDC says it could be up to 14 days most people have symptoms by 10 days.). That's the whole point of self-quarantining.  You have exposure, you quarantine for 10-14 days.  If you're not sick then, then you know you didn't get exposed.  A negative test right after exposure doesn't mean that you weren't infected and aren't at risk.

The negativity is in the lack of consistency of decisions.  Some games were cancelled and moved to other weeks.  Some were postponed to Monday or Tuesday.  Now that that they're running out of flexibility, the decisions seem to be more loose.  

Back to the football, yes, I'm surprised there hasn't been more cancellations and more upheaval in players being out.  Certainly has made for some tough decisions and choices.  I know reading here that some leagues instituted the "retroactive replacement player" policy.  My league didn't.  So if you lose a player, it's like having an injury on a Saturday and that just sucks.  Wish that my league had added some additional bench spots to give more flexibility, but in larger 12 and 14 team leagues, adding those bench spots just for the occasional Covid issues would deplete the already thin waiver wire.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, LongBalls said:

Well yes, but it's easy for the league to distance itself from that specific case and continue to do what they are doing. Armstead did not contract anything during the course of play, which is really what matters for the continuation of the season. Similarly, a lot of these cases happened off the facility and could be isolated before spread. The issue for the NFL would be a serious on-field event.

Armstead presumably contracted it during the preseason, no?  Because that's when it was announced.  So yes, we don't know if he got it going to the strip club, the grocery store, or during organized team activities.  But it's still the same.  He presumably was infected, and got others infected on the Jags...didn't Minshew end up with Covid before the season started?  The NFL pretty much swept Ryquell under the rug.  He didn't play in games, he's not a star, so his story doesn't matter.  Pretty sad.  You can bet if Patty Mahomes came down with Covid that it would be an ESPN breaking news like we got with Trevor Lawrence, and there would be more discussion about it.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, CooL said:

Armstead presumably contracted it during the preseason, no?  Because that's when it was announced.  So yes, we don't know if he got it going to the strip club, the grocery store, or during organized team activities.  But it's still the same.  He presumably was infected, and got others infected on the Jags...didn't Minshew end up with Covid before the season started?  The NFL pretty much swept Ryquell under the rug.  He didn't play in games, he's not a star, so his story doesn't matter.  Pretty sad.  You can bet if Patty Mahomes came down with Covid that it would be an ESPN breaking news like we got with Trevor Lawrence, and there would be more discussion about it.

Armstead was placed on the list initially on Aug. 2 - Aug.20 and then went back on it Sept. 4. Even if he was on-field at all, it might have been one day something. He basically tested positive the first time they tested everyone I'd think, and has basically never had a non-positive test. Yes, very unfortunate situation, but likely not much to do with the NFL since he likely got it prior to any organized, on-field activities even starting given those days. I dunno if he was doing non-sanctioned workouts with Minshew prior to the official scheduled NFL dates, though.

Main point being, the NFL probably doesn't view that case as particularly relevant to their strategy.

Edited by LongBalls

43 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Players have gotten paralyzed playing football. Hasnt stopped them playing.

3 minutes ago, yanksman said:

Players have gotten paralyzed playing football. Hasnt stopped them playing.

One even died.

2 ARZ players are positive

1 GB player-- AJ Dillon

1 BAL- star CB Humphrey

How's your Mon??