Rotoworld.com Forums

COVID - League Plans?

Message added by tonycpsu

This thread is for discussing the impact of COVID on the game of fantasy football.  Attempts to shoehorn in other topics, including armchair epidemiology or political / ideological arguments will be removed, with posters subject to disciplinary action.

23 minutes ago, FantasyGeek2018 said:

This happened years ago when a game was postponed about 7-8 weeks later. CBS/yahoo held up the fantasy weeks standings until that game was played and counted for that earlier week. It was not covid of course and I forget why it was postponed that week. Also was not made up week 18 though...I also play in a few leagues with all 17 weeks and no playoffs so will work there.

No that never happened 

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It’s not the NFLs job to find you a QB. Otherwise, all the Eagles games would be cancelled.

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Best case scenario for Ravens would be to move Sun game to Tues, and then swap the Thurs game to the Mon nighter.

No, the best case scenario for the Ravens would be to move this week's game to Week 18, and next week's Thursday night game to the following Sunday/Monday.

The reason is that the Ravens lose for sure if they play this upcoming Tuesday without Lamar, Dobbins, Ingram, and their other COVID players. But they could easily beat the Steelers in Week 18 straight up, or because the Steelers are resting their starters.

15 minutes ago, Heisenburg23 said:

Week 18 is a disaster - unfair to Steelers and gives playoff teams week rest. Ravens should be forced play this sun with non-Covid players. 

It's not fair to the Ravens to force them to play, after the NFL set a precedent by moving the Titans to a later week. The NFL has come out and said Week 18 will be possible in the exact scenario that's unfolding with the Ravens. The NFL can't afford to look bad by forcing a team to travel and play in the middle of an outbreak.

And it's not even about the NFL looking bad. It's about doing the right and responsible thing from a medical perspective.

Edited by OriolesMagic
3 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

I believe a forfeit or no game is more likely than a week 18. They’re not going to have a week 18 for one game. 

I totally disagree. There won't be a forfeit, because the NFL has already stated that a Week 18 will be possible or needed if a team has an outbreak and their bye has already passed.

If the Week 18 game dictates whether the Ravens make the playoffs, which it very well could, then it will be played. You're right that a "no game" scenario would be possible, but only if the Week 18 game doesn't have playoff ramifications. But there's no way there would be a forfeit. No chance of that after the Titans had their game moved.

Just now, OriolesMagic said:

I totally disagree. There won't be a forfeit, because the NFL has already stated that a Week 18 will be possible or needed if a team has an outbreak and their bye has already passed.

If the Week 18 game dictates whether the Ravens make the playoffs, which it very well could, then it will be played. You're right that a "no game" scenario would be possible, but only if the Week 18 game doesn't have playoff ramifications. But there's no way there would be a forfeit. No chance of that after the Titans had their game moved.

I didn’t say a forfeit would happen...I said it is more likely. Frankly, I expect neither a forfeit or week 18 to happen. If I’m wrong, I’m wrong...but I don’t see it. The NFL is also more likely to do what it’s done earlier this season: push the game back to a Monday or Tuesday and adjust the week 13 schedule if necessary. 

• Like 4
52 minutes ago, yanksman said:

No that never happened 

What never happened? The fantasy week being put on hold until all that weeks scheduled games were finish month later? Yes that happened.

I found the game I was thinking of too. Your lineups were locked in for that week so even if you traded away that player he was back on your team in your lineup for that one game to finish up the week. I had teams in cbs and yahoo and they did this. Not sure about other sites.

Hurricane Irma prompted the postponement of a game between the Miami Dolphins and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, originally scheduled for September 10, 2017, to November 19; both teams coincidentally were scheduled for the same bye week, leaving the latter date available for the game to be made up.

3 minutes ago, FantasyGeek2018 said:

You said move the game again. Why move the game again if they are still going to be out and use practice players?

More time to test the players they’ve traced? Get PS players more practice time to get caught up? Maybe a couple of thoughts. I could be off. 

50 minutes ago, FantasyGeek2018 said:

What never happened? The fantasy week being put on hold until all that weeks scheduled games were finish month later? Yes that happened.

I found the game I was thinking of too. Your lineups were locked in for that week so even if you traded away that player he was back on your team in your lineup for that one game to finish up the week. I had teams in cbs and yahoo and they did this. Not sure about other sites.

Hurricane Irma prompted the postponement of a game between the Miami Dolphins and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, originally scheduled for September 10, 2017, to November 19; both teams coincidentally were scheduled for the same bye week, leaving the latter date available for the game to be made up.

Yes I remember that game. You didn't get stats from the makeup applied to week 1. It was just treated as a week 1 bye.

Just now, yanksman said:

Yes I remember that game. You didn't get stats from the makeup applied to week 1. It was just treated as a week 1 bye.

After I posted this I was thinking it was not that soon. The game I am thinking of happened about 15-20 years ago. not three. I swear they put games on hold back then and finished them later with same rosters.

2 minutes ago, FantasyGeek2018 said:

After I posted this I was thinking it was not that soon. The game I am thinking of happened about 15-20 years ago. not three. I swear they put games on hold back then and finished them later with same rosters.

I've been playing fantasy football since Barry Sanders was in the league and Brett Favre was a rookie and I never remember that happening but I'll take your word for it. 

2 minutes ago, yanksman said:

I've been playing fantasy football since Barry Sanders was in the league and Brett Favre was a rookie and I never remember that happening but I'll take your word for it. 

As much as I hate to admit it I am prob older then you since I have been playing fantasy since 1986. Stats by hand days. Even baseball by hand which really sucked. lol. 

2 hours ago, FantasyGeek2018 said:

You said move the game again. Why move the game again if they are still going to be out and use practice players?

2 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

More time to test the players they’ve traced? Get PS players more practice time to get caught up? Maybe a couple of thoughts. I could be off. 

Exactly. Moving the games was never intended to give good players more time to clear protocol. It was always to insure that the effected team is no longer spreading the virus and thereby endangering the opposing team (and I guess their own team as well).

The league is probably furious with the Ravens right now and not likely looking to do them any favors.. like waiting until Lamar is cleared.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, wideopen21 said:

Exactly. Moving the games was never intended to give good players more time to clear protocol. It was always to insure that the effected team is no longer spreading the virus and thereby endangering the opposing team (and I guess their own team as well).

The league is probably furious with the Ravens right now and not likely looking to do them any favors.. like waiting until Lamar is cleared.

Either way, considering the penalties levied to other teams, the Ravens should get slammed pretty hard on this.  Forcing the NFL to move their primetime Thanksgiving day matchup?  I would imagine multiple draft picks and millions in fines.

• Like 1

BAL should be forced to play Sunday as scheduled. Harbaugh was one of the few HC whining in the off-season about how impossible it would be to follow COVID protocols, then lets a strength coach near players without a mask.

No leniency should be provided for the Ravens...their arrogance led to this outbreak and threatens to upend the entire NFL schedule. What they have done is far worse than the Raiders or Titans did earlier in the season.

3 hours ago, joshua18 said:

BAL should be forced to play Sunday as scheduled. Harbaugh was one of the few HC whining in the off-season about how impossible it would be to follow COVID protocols, then lets a strength coach near players without a mask.

No leniency should be provided for the Ravens...their arrogance led to this outbreak and threatens to upend the entire NFL schedule. What they have done is far worse than the Raiders or Titans did earlier in the season.

I’m not sure why people keep pushing this narrative. Postponing the game isn’t about doing Baltimore a favor or leniency. It’s about attempting to stop the spread in what appears to be a full on outbreak within their organization. 

They continue to have multiple positives each day, you can’t possibly have the whole team travel to the stadium, interact all day, and play in a game. You’re going to infect the entire team, plus more. Positive tests don’t appear immediately, there is an incubation period.

It’s not about being lenient to the Ravens who have a short lineup, it’s keep everyone isolated from each other until they are certain this outbreak is contained. 

• Like 2
  • tonycpsu locked and unlocked this topic