oliminator123

COVID - League Plans?

1 minute ago, kp96 said:

Agree completely.  I'm in IT as well and I can only imagine the meeting that will happen if they are told the game is on Tuesday.  Developers freaking out, QA staff saying they can't test in time, business people saying it will ruin the season if they dont do something....absolute chaos.

Sounds like a normal day in the software development world. Business never knows what it wants until sh&& hits the fan.

2 minutes ago, mar1kle said:

We do not know what was communicated within the NFL eco system..Unless you work for Yahoo fantasy development. If so there is a list of improvement idea's I have for you.

Its highly doubtful that the websites accounted for a Tuesday game.  Even if they did, its questionable that they would spend the money to build that functionality into their website "just in case". 

In any case, there are too many other things that are problematic about a Tuesday night game that I don't think it happens anyway.  Much easier for them to postpone to a bye week.

Just now, kp96 said:

Its highly doubtful that the websites accounted for a Tuesday game.  Even if they did, its questionable that they would spend the money to build that functionality into their website "just in case". 

In any case, there are too many other things that are problematic about a Tuesday night game that I don't think it happens anyway.  Much easier for them to postpone to a bye week.

Agreed....but then is the entire team s  eligible for IR?

The NFL says the players health is the priority.  I don't think this is limited to COVID.  If the facility is shut down, it means the players are not getting their normal recovery treatment either.  Hard to see them throwing them out there for a Tuesday game with no practice and no treatment.

I told my league mates we shoulda moved league to Fantrax this year just incase something like this happened. With the options there we could have manually worked the schedule. 

- going to suggest moving over there now and just manually punch in our teams. That way if the Tuesday thing happens we could make sure those games count for week 4

Edited by Bugs bunny

A few seasons ago..wasn't there a game that ended up being played on a Tuesday Night? Vikings/Eagles I believe? I don't think there was any hitch fantasy wise

1 minute ago, kp96 said:

I mean if everyone has the same bye week then of course it's the way to go. We had it happen last year with Bucs and Dolphins because of the hurricane and they just played on their bye week. However, different bye weeks cause a nightmare for the NFL as well.

2 minutes ago, CPuente57 said:

A few seasons ago..wasn't there a game that ended up being played on a Tuesday Night? Vikings/Eagles I believe? I don't think there was any hitch fantasy wise

Yes you are right it was week 16 and it was due to snow.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/game?gameId=301228021

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bugs bunny said:

I told my league mates we shoulda moved league to Fantrax this year just incase something like this happened. With the options there we could have manually worked the schedule. 

- going to suggest moving over there now and just manually punch in our teams. That way if the Tuesday thing happens we could make sure those games count for week 4

If there ends up being only the 3 players, seems like overkill to move around bye weeks. Maybe I’m missing something though. That basically would mean if a team has any positive tests, games will be moved. How would the NFL justify not moving a game if there was only two players positive? Because three is dangerous but two are Ok?

Hopefully, No one else tests positive by end of day tomorrow and the games can be played this week.

Edited by Butters

5 minutes ago, Butters said:

If there ends up being only the 3 players, seems like overkill to move around bye weeks. Maybe I’m missing something though. That basically would mean if a team has any positive tests, games will be moved. How would the NFL justify not moving a game if there was only two players positive? Because three is dangerous but two are Ok?

Hopefully, No one else tests positive by end of day tomorrow and the games can be played this week.

I think the fact that five people on the coaching staff also tested positive, which shows it's likely spread pretty heavily throughout the whole team.

1 minute ago, GoPackGo23 said:

I think the fact that five people on the coaching staff also tested positive, which shows it's likely spread pretty heavily throughout the whole team.

But if no one else tests positive, I’m confused as to why they can’t play. They played Sunday. So if they tested again on Friday, and no one else tests positive, I just don’t see why they would reschedule. But maybe I’m being too simplistic. 

All I hear is concern about the players and the workers of these four teams. Well, there's a fifth team... What about MY team, NFL? Huh? We're trying to win a Chip here, damn it. 

Edited by Spyplane
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Butters said:

If you have one piece of sand and keep adding to it what piece makes it a pile?

12 minutes ago, Butters said:

How would the NFL justify not moving a game if there was only two players positive? Because three is dangerous but two are Ok?

Come on now Butters, nobody likes a third wheel.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Butters said:

But if no one else tests positive, I’m confused as to why they can’t play. They played Sunday. So if they tested again on Friday, and no one else tests positive, I just don’t see why they would reschedule. But maybe I’m being too simplistic. 

Prob because team facilities being shut-down, and not able to practice/prepare for games...

Any advice on how to handle this situation for fantasy?  We are trying to decide if we should add BN spots before or after waivers this week?  

13 minutes ago, Butters said:

It's an interesting take.  If they test everyone multiple times (Mon, Tues, Wed) and everyone is negative except for the people that already tested positive, I definitely see the logic here.

The problem IMO is liability.  They are going to be overcautious here.  Even with the negative tests, they may believe it prudent to shut things down to be safe from any sort of lawsuit for negligence.

1 minute ago, AlexxelA said:

Any advice on how to handle this situation for fantasy?  We are trying to decide if we should add BN spots before or after waivers this week?  

One league, if possible, we're going to increase IR accordingly based on team needs.

1 minute ago, AlexxelA said:

Well, if you didn't account for this preseason, then your best bet is to see if you can add IR spots.  In my league, we agreed to adding 2 IR spots specifically for COVID related issues.  Anyone who has to sit someone due to the games being postponed can move those players to the IR spot and pick up replacements.  They then have to get rid of those players after the week.  

6 minutes ago, AlexxelA said:

I added IR spots for my leagues, but I am also making an executive decision for one of my leagues to add 1 or possibly 2 bench spots immediately today...we don't know if the 2 games and possibly 4 teams will be given COVID IR status, as they might just make it a BYE week. This particular league has only 5 bench spots.

Waiver wire pickups and FAB will be affected. Would be nice to know the direction this is going before waivers clear tonight.

We increased to 8 IR spots from 4 before the season started. 

[...]

Edited by tonycpsu
Comments in this thread will be focused on fantasy, not your thoughts on COVID itself
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Yes you are right it was week 16 and it was due to snow.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/game?gameId=301228021

Tuesday night is a possibility.  Rappaport even said that.  But this isn't week 16, which is obviously after bye weeks have occurred.  They have the option to use the bye weeks and IMO they will take advantage of that rather than having teams play on short rest.  You need to consider that a team will play Tuesday and then have to play Sunday.  Not ideal at all.  Using the bye weeks is better for the player's health.

But....who knows.  Maybe they move it to Tuesday.  This is all new so who knows what they do.  I just think using the bye week makes more sense from a player safety perspective.