Rotoworld.com Forums

COVID - League Plans?

Message added by tonycpsu

This thread is for discussing the impact of COVID on the game of fantasy football.  Attempts to shoehorn in other topics, including armchair epidemiology or political / ideological arguments will be removed, with posters subject to disciplinary action.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It’s not the NFLs job to find you a QB. Otherwise, all the Eagles games would be cancelled.

Posted Images

1 minute ago, JoeJoe88 said:

Forcing the Ravens to trot out guys that are one fumble away from working retail should really drum up the ratings. 

The NFL is nearing the playoffs. And thats the ultimate goal is to get to the playoffs and superbowl as fast as possible. It has nothing to do with the actual game, and everything to do with the NFL and outside of a few college basketball games is the only sports on right now. Come week 16, thats not going to be the case and I think they know that things could get worse by then so theyd rather force their hand then cancel the game and things change down the line in a forfeit. 

26 minutes ago, JacobThunder15 said:

Heres what people are not understanding, the NFL is a business, and business first. Morals, ethics out the window. They want the ratings of a divisional rival game to be played, not handing a win to a team who is already undefeated. They just played the DEN game knowing what the result would be, this is them telling teams we are the boss and follow guidelines or they have the right to treat the players as such given the contracts they sign. Its black and white business, but morally its not a right thing to do

So imagine a week 18 scenario where the Steelers need a win to clinch the #1 spot and Baltimore needs a win to make the playoffs!

Those ratings would be amazing. The only thing that sucks would be giving all other playoff teams a bye, but Pittsburgh and Baltimore would play the following week.

I’d move this game to a Thursday for week 18, so both team still get a small break heading into the playoffs.

Edited by tpat30
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, tpat30 said:

So imagine a week 18 scenario where the Steelers need a win to clinch the #1 spot and Baltimore needs a win to make the playoffs!

Those ratings would be amazing. The only thing that sucks would be giving all other playoff teams a bye, but Pittsburgh and Baltimore would play the following week.

I’d move this game to a Thursday for week 18, so both team still get a small break heading into the playoffs.

That would work if there were enough loyal fans to hold the ratings down the line, but with other sports right around the corner I just dont think theres enough to do that. 

Line of this game is still not large. Public thinks, if played, Baltimore won’t get smoked. So.. maybe a snowstorm + Covid will make for a very 1st cancellation in 2020..

26 minutes ago, JacobThunder15 said:

That would work if there were enough loyal fans to hold the ratings down the line, but with other sports right around the corner I just dont think theres enough to do that. 

?

NFL crushes basketball and hockey in the ratings. I don't think NFL has any concerns about that. Their concern is once they start postponing things could snowball and get complicated. Their ultimate goal is the Super Bowl. I'm guessing the tv/ad revenue just from that one game dwarfs the entire season. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, owenmills said:

?

NFL crushes basketball and hockey in the ratings. I don't think NFL has any concerns about that. Their concern is once they start postponing things could snowball and get complicated. Their ultimate goal is the Super Bowl. I'm guessing the tv/ad revenue just from that one game dwarfs the entire season. 

I agree that the NFL Crushes those other leagues. But out of professional curtsey I would think they also don't want to hinder those other sports revenue. Lots of the same owners/families and money coming out of the same pockets. 

12 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Don’t worry the results will be negative. It’s like magic 

Sunday morning statement from the NFL: All games are good to go today

Monday morning: We have 89 positive tests for COVID that were untraceable on Sunday

• Like 2

So 8 days in a row of positive tests, and if they get another positive test, the NFL will probably say something like "The game is still scheduled to be played, pending Tuesday test results."  And then magically, the Tuesday morning tests will all be negative (as yesterday's were), and then we'll find out on Wednesday that half the team is positive.

I'm curious what the NFL will do to that strength and conditioning coach who supposedly was Patient 0 in this scenario.  The Ravens said they disciplined him.  What exactly does that mean?  A fine?  He was sent home?  Demoted?  Fired?  His carelessness literally is costing hundreds of thousands of dollars.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, stay_woke said:

The Ravens should 100% be forfeiting this game, anything else is unfair to the steelers. This coming from someone who hates the steelers organization 

Sooo...it's unfair to the Steelers that the Ravens might have to play this game after they haven't had a chance to practice since before their last game against the Titans with a team of practice squad players and dudes they pulled of the street because so much of their team either has COVID or is in contact related quarantine. Also keep in mind the Steelers have their own COVID issues currently so it's not like they've got this all figured out. 

Wait--which part isn't fair to the Steelers again?