oliminator123

COVID - League Plans?

Recommended Posts

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports that "as of now" the Titans' Week 4 game against the Steelers remains on for 1PM ET on Sunday. 

The Titans aren't even allowed back in their building until Saturday, but Pelissero's colleague Mike Garafolo reports that is not viewed as an impediment to playing. "Titans coaches have told players if they have to go without any work until Saturday, have a walkthrough then and play the Steelers Sunday, then that's what they'll have to do," Garafolo reported. "No excuses." Provided there are no new cases, this actually is the best approach for the Titans and the NFL. Re-scheduling games would be remarkably complex, though a scenario does exist where it would not be overly difficult for Tennessee/Pittsburgh. The league simply does not want to have to already go down that road. Sit tight. The next few days of testing will tell the story. 

RELATED: 
Sep 29, 2020, 1:19 PM ET
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Biggest issue is if they move the bye weeks for these teams what happens if later on in the season they have another outbreak? Only a finite number of days to get these games in. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TheDoctor said:

Biggest issue is if they move the bye weeks for these teams what happens if later on in the season they have another outbreak? Only a finite number of days to get these games in. 

This is a good point.

You want to have days available in case there is an outbreak during practice on like Thursday or Friday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, kp96 said:

 

Tuesday night is a possibility.  Rappaport even said that.  But this isn't week 16, which is obviously after bye weeks have occurred.  They have the option to use the bye weeks and IMO they will take advantage of that rather than having teams play on short rest.  You need to consider that a team will play Tuesday and then have to play Sunday.  Not ideal at all.  Using the bye weeks is better for the player's health.

But....who knows.  Maybe they move it to Tuesday.  This is all new so who knows what they do.  I just think using the bye week makes more sense from a player safety perspective.

Teams play Sunday and then they play on Thursday. Tuesday to Sunday is more days off than TNF allows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there a threshold for amount of players infected to actually postpone a game?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's an idea: Get rid of the off-week between the Conference Championships and the Super Bowl.  Move the first 3 rounds of playoffs back by 1 week.  Now you have a "Week 18" at your disposal for any team(s) that miss a game. 

Don't have to mess with existing schedules, bye weeks, or the Super Bowl which already has a set date and location that can't be moved.  A game gets cancelled, it gets moved to week 18.  Since you don't know where the first 3 rounds will be played it shouldn't make much of a difference to move those.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, kp96 said:

 

It's an interesting take.  If they test everyone multiple times (Mon, Tues, Wed) and everyone is negative except for the people that already tested positive, I definitely see the logic here.

The problem IMO is liability.  They are going to be overcautious here.  Even with the negative tests, they may believe it prudent to shut things down to be safe from any sort of lawsuit for negligence.

Players are banned by the CBA from suing for negligence on any medical issues.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, oliminator123 said:

Fined? He should be suspended. He jeopardized the entire league, basically. With the potential 14 day quarantine period, could have been multiple weeks of players being asymptomatic and still playing games. 

If true he's an absolute s***head. 

Why? The NFL is centrally managing Covid testing. Lets say for arguments sake they aren't, Why woud it be on Vrabel and not the Medical staff or the front office? you really think the team would hide a positive test? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, cashvillesent said:

Why? The NFL is centrally managing Covid testing. Lets say for arguments sake they aren't, Why woud it be on Vrabel and not the Medical staff or the front office? you really think the team would hide a positive test? 

No...it unfathomable that he would take that kind of a chance with nothing really to gain and everything to lose. 

To put your career on the line for hiding something that didn't need to be hid?  And to hope that the medical staff didn't say anything?

 

Edited by K197040

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, screaming_vultures said:

Now how long till we have 5-6 teams having this problem. I think this is just the beginning. 

 

Definitely likely. Biggest question is where's the threshold point between not having enough practice, player health, and game quality. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, JJ1223 said:

Here's an idea: Get rid of the off-week between the Conference Championships and the Super Bowl.  Move the first 3 rounds of playoffs back by 1 week.  Now you have a "Week 18" at your disposal for any team(s) that miss a game. 

Don't have to mess with existing schedules, bye weeks, or the Super Bowl which already has a set date and location that can't be moved.  A game gets cancelled, it gets moved to week 18.  Since you don't know where the first 3 rounds will be played it shouldn't make much of a difference to move those.

 

 

I never understood this? Why is moving the super bowl date such an unfathomable thing? Why can't you push things to the right? This whole year has changed what we thought is possible why is the NFL excluded from this? I honestly don't know and I keep hearing this argument on why nfl won't change their schedule is something like this happens and I don't get it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, screaming_vultures said:

I think this is just the beginning. 


This won’t end well.  This doesn’t seem like it’s going to work.  This is just going to keep happening all season.  I believe this is the beginning of the end.  I don’t really see a scenario where the season could survive this.  It was fun while it lasted.  The chances of the season being completed are basically zero.  It feels like I was left at the altar and my bride ran off with the best man.

Those are all quotes from the first few pages of the baseball COVID thread.  

I suppose I just prefer to stay positive.  The doom and gloom doesn’t help matters as far as I can tell.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Tommy Lee Jones said:


This won’t end well.  This doesn’t seem like it’s going to work.  This is just going to keep happening all season.  I believe this is the beginning of the end.  I don’t really see a scenario where the season could survive this.  It was fun while it lasted.  The chances of the season being completed are basically zero.  It feels like I was left at the altar and my bride ran off with the best man.

Those are all quotes from the first few pages of the baseball COVID thread.  

I suppose I just prefer to stay positive.  The doom and gloom doesn’t help matters as far as I can tell.

t3qkhrohrh321.jpg

  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really regret that my league has 0 IR slots and only 5 bench slots. Can't believe the commissioner refuses to change it. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, atdharris said:

Really regret that my league has 0 IR slots and only 5 bench slots. Can't believe the commissioner refuses to change it. 

Bad commish.  See if you can rally the troops against him and coerce him to give y'all at least one IR slot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, atdharris said:

Really regret that my league has 0 IR slots and only 5 bench slots. Can't believe the commissioner refuses to change it. 

Dang, that's just awful. What's the rest of the league think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Justinrlstn said:

 

 

I never understood this? Why is moving the super bowl date such an unfathomable thing? Why can't you push things to the right? This whole year has changed what we thought is possible why is the NFL excluded from this? I honestly don't know and I keep hearing this argument on why nfl won't change their schedule is something like this happens and I don't get it.

Are you serious?  It's a major, major event for these cities that takes extreme amounts of preparation and planning.  Why do you think they decide the city years ahead of time?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JJ1223 said:

Are you serious?  It's a major, major event for these cities that takes extreme amounts of preparation and planning.  Why do you think they decide the city years ahead of time?

Indeed. The Super Bowl is a Holiday!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These thoughts of moving a game here or there are not understanding the situation.  You have to expect the whole team, coaches and support staff have been exposed.  More will come down with COVID during this week.  The Titans could be several weeks from being able to play, and having a game would put the Steelers in the same situation the Vikings are in now as new Titans cases come up into next week.

 

The fact that the NFL doesn't seem to understand this and already have a plan for it is stunning, and does not bode well for the whole league being able to finish this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JJ1223 said:

Are you serious?  It's a major, major event for these cities that takes extreme amounts of preparation and planning.  Why do you think they decide the city years ahead of time?

 

That is a great point and I 100% agree with you but I really doubt that moving it a couple weeks (if necessary) would really have that much impact on the host city. As you said, they've already known for a while now they were going to host, so if you know the date is pushed by 2-4 weeks with at least a 3-4 month notice, I don't see that as having a negative affect.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, collucho said:

Is there a threshold for amount of players infected to actually postpone a game?

It was said, if only 3 players are positive, no problem. BUT, if, for example, the entire OLINE tests positive, the game obviously can't be played.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stevieglick said:

Dang, that's just awful. What's the rest of the league think?

 

Since Covid has not become an issue yet, no one has said anything. We've played this way the last 4 years - obviously not during a pandemic. I imagine others will say something if/once many players begin missing games due to an outbreak. Unfortunately, I have 2 Steelers players (Conner and Big Ben), so I really hope they don't cancel the game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.