Rotoworld.com Forums

COVID - League Plans?

Message added by tonycpsu

This thread is for discussing the impact of COVID on the game of fantasy football.  Attempts to shoehorn in other topics, including armchair epidemiology or political / ideological arguments will be removed, with posters subject to disciplinary action.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It’s not the NFLs job to find you a QB. Otherwise, all the Eagles games would be cancelled.

Posted Images

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30430540/sources-baltimore-pittsburgh-game-wednesday-2-more-ravens-positive-covid-19

The Ravens will be tested again Wednesday before the game with point-of-care tests that return results within 30 minutes and are viewed by the league as more accurate than the point-of-care tests that were used earlier in the season. If the point-of-care tests are negative, the game is on, a source told Schefter.

tenor.gif?itemid=16851593

• Like 2
  • Haha 6
1 hour ago, TTo34 said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30430540/sources-baltimore-pittsburgh-game-wednesday-2-more-ravens-positive-covid-19

The Ravens will be tested again Wednesday before the game with point-of-care tests that return results within 30 minutes and are viewed by the league as more accurate than the point-of-care tests that were used earlier in the season. If the point-of-care tests are negative, the game is on, a source told Schefter.

tenor.gif?itemid=16851593

Amazing that this game is STILL potentially up in the air. Hopefully none of y’all were counting on your Ravens or Steelers this week and made other plans. 

6 hours ago, kraftwrk_5 said:

Amazing that this game is STILL potentially up in the air. Hopefully none of y’all were counting on your Ravens or Steelers this week and made other plans. 

I feel like I messed up by playing the numbers game with the Ravens. I went with Gus the Bus in my line up with the expectation that he was the bell cow for this game being that Dobbins and Ingram were out and Jackson couldn't vulture TDs.

IMO - NFL should ban players for the game that caused the delay.

Edited by MonsterMan
1 minute ago, MonsterMan said:

I feel like I messed up by playing the numbers game with the Ravens. I went with Gus the Bus in my line up with the expectation that he was the bell cow for this game being that Dobbins and Ingram were out and Jackson couldn't vulture TDs.

But now with the game pushed back, Dobbins and Ingram have cleared the 10 day quarantine and are eligible to play and I have no recourse to go back and play one of my other backs that I probably would have played over Edwards.

IMO - NFL should ban players for the game that caused the delay.

See post above

• Like 1
1 hour ago, yanksman said:

Sounds like Dobbins and Ingram didnt make the trip.

They're probably Ubering right now...

So because the nasal swab PCR tests take about 24 hours, they're going to the rapid point of care tests.  Which have been shown to be inaccurate.  Not sure how they think these new ones are going to be any better than the ones used previously - let's see some data.  At this point, I think the league wouldn't care if you gave them 10 year old pregnancy tests to use.  "OK, you're all negative, good to go!"

If I was a Steelers player - or a Ravens player for that matter - I'd wear a mask while playing.  I think it's silly to think that your performance is going to be decreased significantly while wearing a mask.  We all know you can still breathe while wearing one.

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, CooL said:

They're probably Ubering right now...

So because the nasal swab PCR tests take about 24 hours, they're going to the rapid point of care tests.  Which have been shown to be inaccurate.  Not sure how they think these new ones are going to be any better than the ones used previously - let's see some data.  At this point, I think the league wouldn't care if you gave them 10 year old pregnancy tests to use.  "OK, you're all negative, good to go!"

If I was a Steelers player - or a Ravens player for that matter - I'd wear a mask while playing.  I think it's silly to think that your performance is going to be decreased significantly while wearing a mask.  We all know you can still breathe while wearing one.

It’s silly to believe wearing a mask DOESNT hamper your performance. While doing any physical activity, if you’re breathing heavy you suck in the mask fabric.. it’s trippy. But if I were a player on either team, I would for sure wear a Mask, Sleeves and Gloves. Just pull the mask down in between plays.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
7 minutes ago, CooL said:

Don't know if I ever read something more awkward. 

Have you ever made a run / workout with mask on? Please do it, come back and tell us your experience.

• Like 6
6 minutes ago, Cam4Future said:

Don't know if I ever read something more awkward. 

Have you ever made a run / workout with mask on? Please do it, come back and tell us your experience.

Of course wearing a mask is awkward. But do you think if Patrick Mahomes wears a mask, he turns into Mitchell Trubisky? I’m sure the guy could still sling it 60 yards with accuracy. So your performance goes from 100% to maybe make up a number 90%? We’d have to get some sports physiologists to figure it out for sure. 
This Ravens team is infected. If the players are negative, doesn’t mean that they couldn’t be asymptomatic and brewing an infection. I’d for sure wear a mask around any of these guys.

• Haha 2
3 minutes ago, CooL said:

Of course wearing a mask is awkward. But do you think if Patrick Mahomes wears a mask, he turns into Mitchell Trubisky? I’m sure the guy could still sling it 60 yards with accuracy. So your performance goes from 100% to maybe make up a number 90%? We’d have to get some sports physiologists to figure it out for sure. 
This Ravens team is infected. If the players are negative, doesn’t mean that they couldn’t be asymptomatic and brewing an infection. I’d for sure wear a mask around any of these guys.

First of all, wearing a mask is intended to protect others not yourself. Just more misinformation...

Second of all, 10% in performance is a HUGE difference. Even 5% at this kind of level.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Gohawks said:

First of all, wearing a mask is intended to protect others not yourself. Just more misinformation...

Second of all, 10% in performance is a HUGE difference. Even 5% at this kind of level.

This isn’t a Covid epidemiology forum, but it’s been pretty much proven that masks protect both the wearer and others from transmission either way. Period.

And again, I’m not a sports physiologist. ESPN used to have that nerdy science guy who would have little segments on players and performance and physics. It would be interesting to see what impact a mask really does have. To just say, “exercising with a mask is crazy and stupid” is simplistic and putting on blinders. 
What do you want to bet that some players will get infected if this game is played?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
9 minutes ago, CooL said:

This isn’t a Covid epidemiology forum, but it’s been pretty much proven that masks protect both the wearer and others from transmission either way. Period.

And again, I’m not a sports physiologist. ESPN used to have that nerdy science guy who would have little segments on players and performance and physics. It would be interesting to see what impact a mask really does have. To just say, “exercising with a mask is crazy and stupid” is simplistic and putting on blinders. 
What do you want to bet that some players will get infected if this game is played?

Not going to get into the mask thing because posts will just get deleted.

However, I don’t need a sport scientists to tell me that masks will impact players. Now, if the NFL invested into special masks then it’s a different story. Honest I don’t know why they didn’t

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, yanksman said:

Not necessarily true. It protects others MORE than yourself.

Sorry, @Gohawks is right. Sure, you can split hairs if you want and say maybe there's some kind of small protection for the wearer, possibly. Not enough to matter or be worth mentioning. The masks prevent the wearer from spreading 

3 minutes ago, owenmills said:

Sorry, @Gohawks is right. Sure, you can split hairs if you want and say maybe there's some kind of small protection for the wearer, possibly. Not enough to matter or be worth mentioning. The masks prevent the wearer from spreading 

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/11/11/933903848/wear-masks-to-protect-yourself-from-the-coronavirus-not-only-others-cdc-stresses

Seems the CDC found it worth mentioning

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, TheBridge2011 said:

So for future fantasy reference, it’s pretty safe to assume a game won’t get cancelled in a given week due to Covid. You may just need to worry that you’re player catches it after the point you are able to sub them out.

I think that's pretty safe to say.  I think at this point it might take World War 3 for them to cancel a game; and even then, they'd probably just postpone it until later in the week.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, TTo34 said:

I think that's pretty safe to say.  I think at this point it might take World War 3 for them to cancel a game; and even then, they'd probably just postpone it until later in the week.

“How many square miles are the ravaging band of murderous militiamen from the stadium, again? Oh, ten whole miles? Double the security and game on baby.”