octapuss

Mike Williams 2020 Outlook

10 hours ago, harck said:

God I just hold my breath every time he's tackled that something is going to pop. Really hope he is OK because this offense will be electric with him and Keenan at 100%. Good sign that he was walking off on his own at the end with no trainer in sight though. Hopefully he comes out of the BYE ok.

That tackle on the last play looked ugly. Thought for sure he was hurt. 

Yeah it did. Anxiously waiting for the practice report later in the week (I guess we might not get one until next week?), but so far I'm going to assume no news is good news. Think it would have been brought up in the post-game pressers if he was hurt and it was a good sign that he walked off on his own without any trainers around. However, some knee and hammy injuries can be deceptive where the guy can still walk around just fine.

Regardless, if Mike can stay healthy the rest of the way I think this is going to be his year. Herbert is a pure gunslinger, and now that he trusts Mike you're going to see a lot more of those 50/50 deep balls thrown his way. Herbert already stated after the game that any time Mike has 1 on 1 coverage (which should be a lot of the time with a healthy Keenan), he's going to him.

Edited by harck
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't get out this guy when from DNP to limited practice to full to playing the whole game. Thought he would sit out this one and picked him up on Friday, but dropped him. !#$%

We'll see how it goes- he's not going to last if he keeps taking falls like that lol 

15 minutes ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

I don't get out this guy when from DNP to limited practice to full to playing the whole game. Thought he would sit out this one and picked him up on Friday, but dropped him. !#$%

We'll see how it goes- he's not going to last if he keeps taking falls like that lol 

Keenan was hurt, lets not overlook that,he might have some nice games, but he will always be inconsistent with target hog keenan around.

BMW has burned me 2 years in a row, BUT he’s so talented and Herbert is a monster upgrade over noodle arm Rivers (just ask TY Hilton).  

Everyone is drooling over Claypool this week (and rightfully so), but Williams might be the best WR add this week for this season - schedule couldn’t be any better!  And Allen is not a deep threat, him being out there might actually benefit and take coverage away from him.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Texansfan said:

BMW has burned me 2 years in a row, BUT he’s so talented and Herbert is a monster upgrade over noodle arm Rivers (just ask TY Hilton).  

Everyone is drooling over Claypool this week (and rightfully so), but Williams might be the best WR add this week for this season - schedule couldn’t be any better!  And Allen is not a deep threat, him being out there might actually benefit and take coverage away from him.

[...] he is set up for gold. Herbert looks like a two WR guy, and Henry is not getting much of a target share here. Allen, Williams, RB's, then Henry look to be the pecking order. Williams has also been a better TD guy than Allen ever has.

I do think it's gold, but I do think Mike is an injury risk and boom/bust. I want a piece of this passing game if this is how it's going to be. 

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story
  • Like 1

The only thing that will hold back a Chargers stack of Herbert/Allen/Williams (other than injury) is Anthony Lynn calling so many pedantic running plays. Hopefully all these losses spurs him to be more creative, and in general, let Herbert air it out more. Particularly because his lead back is injured and his backups are JAGs.

Edited by harck

Yep. ☝️Imagine if Herbert had Eckler too. That would really be something. 
Vault them into a top 10 offense 

Edited by Bugs bunny

What's his theoretical upside if Herbert is a 35 attempts per game guy?

Keenan 10-12 targets

Henry 5-7 targets

That leaves 15-20 targets. 7-10 for RBS

10 remaining Targets. Can Mike Williams claim 8-10 targets a game, converting 5-6 at his 15-17 YPC? Better touchdown scorer than Keenan? WR2? 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

What's his theoretical upside if Herbert is a 35 attempts per game guy?

Keenan 10-12 targets

Henry 5-7 targets

That leaves 15-20 targets. 7-10 for RBS

10 remaining Targets. Can Mike Williams claim 8-10 targets a game, converting 5-6 at his 15-17 YPC? Better touchdown scorer than Keenan? WR2? 

Pretty reasonable. I think he is a nice WR2 going forward, schedule is $ and Herbert not afraid to sling it. Big Mike also playing for a contract (likely from another team).

• Like 1

I think with Keenan playing, Mike is capped at 5-6 targets at most. HOWEVER, those are going to be deep ball targets, and with Herbert's accuracy/arm and Mike's miracle catches it's not a long shot to say he could easily go for 80+ yards a game and a TD. Defenses have to respect Henry/Allen, and Herbert is going to throw it deep quite a few times a game.

I just hope they used this BYE to convert their offensive scheme to be more favorable for Herbert. They have still been playing like Tyrod is in the pocket, with a measly 20-25 pass attempts per game and a lot of first and second down run plays. They need to shift back towards a system like they had with Rivers. If we do see Herbert get a lot more pass attempts in per game, this Chargers offense is a nice stack to own.

• Like 1

Just now, Foppatosakic said:

I love this guys upside with Herbert slinging it. True boom/bust type, hopefully he can breakout like Fuller.

I like him only if Allen is out. That's exactly why he blew up in his last game.

I truly think this offense can support two wide receivers... provided they adjusted over the BYE and come out as a pass first offense. We'll see. If they do, both Williams and Allen will be great, because you can bet if Herbert has 30+ passing attempts per game that at least 5-6 of those are going to be deep balls to Williams, and we know Williams can catch pretty much any deep ball thrown his way.

Herbert's comments both last week and today give me a lot of confidence too. Reiterates he loves throwing to Williams and that anytime Williams has 1 on 1 coverage he is going to him because of his size. 

Best case scenario -- this becomes a Godwin/Evans last year Bucs situation. It's a big IF though if the coaches adjusted the offensive scheme to be more Herbert-centric out of the BYE rather than the Tyrod/Baltimore offense they were trying early on.

Edited by harck

11 minutes ago, harck said:

I truly think this offense can support two wide receivers... provided they adjusted over the BYE and come out as a pass first offense. We'll see. If they do, both Williams and Allen will be great, because you can bet if Herbert has 30+ passing attempts per game that at least 5-6 of those are going to be deep balls to Williams, and we know Williams can catch pretty much any deep ball thrown his way.

Herbert's comments both last week and today give me a lot of confidence too. Reiterates he loves throwing to Williams and that anytime Williams has 1 on 1 coverage he is going to him because of his size. 

Best case scenario -- this becomes a Godwin/Evans last year Bucs situation. It's a big IF though if the coaches adjusted the offensive scheme to be more Herbert-centric out of the BYE rather than the Tyrod/Baltimore offense they were trying early on.

Best case is 1A 1B scenario, and we know Mike has the talent to do so. However, they're two different receivers. One's finesse and route running, the other is a dominant downfield / big play receiver. Chargers are lucky to have two talents that compliment each other so well. 

It's debatable Williams might get the more valuable targets (ADOT) and red-zone. He's already had more TD's than Allen. 

Don't trust this coaching staff to get it right. However, they play at a fast pace, which is good.

• Like 1

I think Williams has shown progress each season if you squint around the injuries. He is a jump-ball wizard. 

Perfect scenario provided he stays healthy. 

1 hour ago, FitzMagic said:

I like him only if Allen is out. That's exactly why he blew up in his last game.

He blew up because he caught a couple bombs   Is he capable of doing that when Allen plays?  Yes  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Great deep ball reciever with a young, strong armed QB willing to go deep. I'm in. Doesn't need 10 targets to make an impact.

• Like 1

How are we feeling? It is possible the Jaguars put up points here as the chargers d is really uninspiring and chark looks healthy. And with Justin Jackson maybe not playing, are they gonna lean on Herbert more? Kinda looking for a high floor high ceiling play here and don’t know how to evaluate mike Williams outside of the risk reward wr tier for now. But one step ahead of the curve could be mike Williams is really involved going forward 

Mike Smash tomorrow. Adjust your lineups accordingly

Edited by cgu112

Welp. Here I was saying to myself. Mike Will showed something last game.  Justin Herbert likes to throw the ball and can move it more than Rivers.  Mike Will will get targets and him and Allen can work well with Allen in the intermiadte route and then williams over the top when the safeties drop down. 

Here I am thinking Williams will work his way into 6 targets a week. 

Here I am wrong. There he is back on the bench. 

i don’t know if it’s the scheme or if he just isn’t good or what the deal is but he will never be anything more than a lucky shot in the dark. 

I thought it was cause Rivers was washed up but it’s cause Williams is washed up 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, GottaGetTheWin said:

Welp. Here I was saying to myself. Mike Will showed something last game.  Justin Herbert likes to throw the ball and can move it more than Rivers.  Mike Will will get targets and him and Allen can work well with Allen in the intermiadte route and then williams over the top when the safeties drop down. 

i don’t know if it’s the scheme or if he just isn’t good or what the deal is but he will never be anything more than a lucky shot in the dark. 

I thought it was cause Rivers was washed up but it’s cause Williams is washed up 

Yeah wtf was. That New Orleans game he balls out then goes MIA all day today.. good stuff.

1 minute ago, GottaGetTheWin said:

is it a Bench or outright drop? Lmao

herbert had 40 fantasy points, 12 from rushing, and threw deep shot touchdowns to everyone but mike williams.

if this was a game to trust him, and he failed, what use is He?

Do not drop him. He will be very useful imo. In fact I'd try to acquire him on the cheap about now.

• Haha 1

I'm dropping him.

I had high hopes, but I have 4 other receivers I'd generally play ahead of him week to week. Not going to hold a boom bust player all year when there's so much talent at the WR position and need to gamble on RB lottos week to week. He definitely has the talent, and should be getting targeted, but I don't know what it is -- his route running potentially?

Edited by harck