DerrickHenrysCleats

James Robinson 2020 Outlook

2 minutes ago, Rosenburger said:

I've got the dilemma of having to choose between RoJo, Akers and Robinson for my RB2, and I think I an leaning towards Robinson at the moment.  

I’d role with Robinson as well. Akers’ role is still up in the air and Fournette is the clear #1 in Tampa. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rotocious said:

Quickly drop your QB for Minshew and really be all in on JAX! (AKA the team tanking for Trevor Lawrence.)

Is JAX trying to downgrade at QB?

Edited by DerrickHenrysCleats
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, GurleyTHIRTY said:

Thompson is probably going to be better in standard leagues as well. Jags are going to be playing from behind a lot this season. Thompson is going to see a ton of play. 

Doubtful. Robinson has a much better chance of getting in the end zone.

18 minutes ago, GurleyTHIRTY said:

I’d roll with Rojo since he is the Week 1 starter. Akers’ role is still up in the air. Jacksonville is not that good.

FIFY

• Like 2

Typically in this situation I would want to take a wait-and-see approach, because a lot of times we would at least have seen some preseason plays where he jumps off the screen (i.e. David Johnson, Kamara or Kareem Hunt rookie seasons) before I'm starting a rookie RB that didn't come in with a stranglehold on the position. It's always dicey to start a guy who was elevated to his role out of circumstance, and who the coaching staff has nothing invested in--they are always one fumble, one missed pass protection, one stupid play away from riding the bench and seeing the next man up take their job.

Hearing Gruden talk about this guy, though, makes me think he's a lot safer of a start in week 1 than people might expect. Somehow, someway this undrafted rookie has come into town, blows the coaching staff away with his work ethic and professionalism, plays his a** off to the extent that they cut their 4th overall pick just three years ago, and then takes the starting job as he watches the rest of the RB room literally drop like flies around him. You can hear when Gruden talks just how much respect he has already for Robinson--he made it a point that he KNOWS, not THINKS, he will be ready. It's odd just how much confidence this coaching staff has in this kid, and makes you think he has already done enough behind the scenes to have a little bit of a leash heading into his first NFL game.

The team is bad, this offensive line is bad, and we haven't seen this guy play a NFL snap yet. Those concerns are real and should weigh into your considerations. But you should also consider that this guy is very clearly going to get the bulk of the opportunities, has some wiggle room to make mistakes based on how the coaching staff regards him, and will be in a role not too dissimilar from that Fournette guy who was ppr RB7 on this very same offense last year. You could do a whole lot worse than Robinson this week, and for me he's in that RB20 or so range in terms of where I would start him v. others at his position. Don't be surprised if he outperforms guys drafted as RB2s like Gordon, Mostert, Akers, etc. this week. Personally, I'll be starting him in a league where my other options are Fournette, Lindsay, and Breida (loaded up with a lot of lotto guys like Pollard, Mattison, etc.), and to me it's a no-brainer if your considerations are similar. If I had Gordon I would also start Robinson over him, for instance. It's not as crazy as it sounds!

My bench doesnt have obvious drop guy IMO... Edelman, Fournette, Dobbins, JWhite, Ruggs, CLamb

So I dumped my kicker.  Will see how Robinson looks in the early game and then figure out my next move.

45 minutes ago, AnchorDown said:

Typically in this situation I would want to take a wait-and-see approach, because a lot of times we would at least have seen some preseason plays where he jumps off the screen (i.e. David Johnson, Kamara or Kareem Hunt rookie seasons) before I'm starting a rookie RB that didn't come in with a stranglehold on the position. It's always dicey to start a guy who was elevated to his role out of circumstance, and who the coaching staff has nothing invested in--they are always one fumble, one missed pass protection, one stupid play away from riding the bench and seeing the next man up take their job.

Hearing Gruden talk about this guy, though, makes me think he's a lot safer of a start in week 1 than people might expect. Somehow, someway this undrafted rookie has come into town, blows the coaching staff away with his work ethic and professionalism, plays his a** off to the extent that they cut their 4th overall pick just three years ago, and then takes the starting job as he watches the rest of the RB room literally drop like flies around him. You can hear when Gruden talks just how much respect he has already for Robinson--he made it a point that he KNOWS, not THINKS, he will be ready. It's odd just how much confidence this coaching staff has in this kid, and makes you think he has already done enough behind the scenes to have a little bit of a leash heading into his first NFL game.

The team is bad, this offensive line is bad, and we haven't seen this guy play a NFL snap yet. Those concerns are real and should weigh into your considerations. But you should also consider that this guy is very clearly going to get the bulk of the opportunities, has some wiggle room to make mistakes based on how the coaching staff regards him, and will be in a role not too dissimilar from that Fournette guy who was ppr RB7 on this very same offense last year. You could do a whole lot worse than Robinson this week, and for me he's in that RB20 or so range in terms of where I would start him v. others at his position. Don't be surprised if he outperforms guys drafted as RB2s like Gordon, Mostert, Akers, etc. this week. Personally, I'll be starting him in a league where my other options are Fournette, Lindsay, and Breida (loaded up with a lot of lotto guys like Pollard, Mattison, etc.), and to me it's a no-brainer if your considerations are similar. If I had Gordon I would also start Robinson over him, for instance. It's not as crazy as it sounds!

I’m sorry man, but saying you’d start this guy over Gordon is ludicrous. You drafted Gordon in the 5th round for a reason. This hype train is officially off the tracks 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, AnchorDown said:

Great points. Any RB that gets volume on a team, regardless good or bad, is a valuable commodity in fantasy. Let's see what he can do with the opportunity.

32 minutes ago, UMFLADFWM said:

My bench doesnt have obvious drop guy IMO... Edelman, Fournette, Dobbins, JWhite, Ruggs, CLamb

So I dumped my kicker.  Will see how Robinson looks in the early game and then figure out my next move.

I  would have dropped any of the above for Robinson.

• Haha 2

This years Alfred Morris (Rookie Year)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SyNdicateZ said:

I  would have dropped any of the above for Robinson.

For reals?  I dropped Jeudy for him in my standard league and honestly I’m already regretting it.  These rotoworld hype trains get me every time.  

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, SyNdicateZ said:

This years Arian Foster (Rookie Year)

fixed

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MagikarpeDiem said:

For reals?  I dropped Jeudy for him in my standard league and honestly I’m already regretting it.  These rotoworld hype trains get me every time.  

Yup! The world doesnt know James Robinson yet. 

• Like 1

Just now, Magoo said:

fixed

ahhhh yes thats a better comparison. thx

I just gotta say, with all the crap that is going on, it’s great to be back, getting in on hype trains, thinking about what’s possible.....good times.

Anyway, I got nothing of substance to add that hasn’t been said, so I’ll say that this hype train may have a little longer track than others I’ve been on. Thompson is fragile so they will manage his work. So Robinson is going to get his chance. He could pull an Alfred Morris. Not predicting it. But it’s entirely possible. And it’s not like Armstead is some established guy whenever he comes back. Ball is in Robinson’s hands, so he needs to show out.

Edited by Butters
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, MagikarpeDiem said:

He's the starting rb on a bad team but he's a starter regardless so he has value.  I think the Jaguars will give Robinson this week to show something with at least 12-15 carries and if he doesn't, they'll go out and sign someone for competition on early downs with Ozigbo now out.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, UMFLADFWM said:

Non keeper lamb... already Gallup and Cooper there plus zeke how much can go around barring injury

2 minutes ago, sjm76 said:

He's the starting rb on a bad team but he's a starter regardless so he has value.  I think the Jaguars will give Robinson this week to show something with at least 12-15 carries and if he doesn't, they'll go out and sign someone for competition on early downs with Ozigbo now out.

Freeman then?

47 minutes ago, esoomer said:

Im back from the dead to say:

CHOO CHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is all.

Not quite all. You forgot to add...

FnCBOP.gif

• Haha 3

Is freeman the handcuff? Sadly, only half joking.

Could Robinson be the early season version of Samkon Gado? Quite possibly. Damn, that dude was fun to own.