DerrickHenrysCleats

James Robinson 2020 Outlook

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Cardiak said:

Should I drop Latavious Murray for him?

Latavious Murray should drop himself for him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Cardiak said:

Should I drop Latavious Murray for him?


I think we’d all prefer that there were no AC questions in this forum, including in the player threads. That said, it depends—do you need someone you can play now to fill in as a RB2/flex option, or are you looking towards future potential? If your only consideration is a week 1 starter, Robinson is the clear choice. If you are thinking more long term, it’s a tough call until we see the kid play. Robinson has a much greater opportunity right now but he’s much more of an unknown. Murray on the other hand is a known quantity—not likely to be super reliable week to week as long as Kamara is active, but according to reports his health is a little bit of a question mark.

I’ll tell you this: fantasy football is a lot more fun the more opportunities you give yourself to really care about your players and how they perform. Murray is a great guy to have on your team but he isn’t exactly someone that titillates the sensations. Robinson on the other hand is the Rotoworld darling, and fantasy owners emotions will live and die watching his journey play out. He’s the kind of guy that keeps you glued to the box score to see how he performs, so you can run back here and be a part of it, positive or negative. I like being on the trains so it’s Robinson all the way for me, but it’s all about how you like to play and what makes you happy. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, pepper11 said:

what is he going for in FAAB?

 

In a covid year I'd make sure I got him.... hell pony up 20-25%

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More generally speaking, I think of you're wondering to drop my highly rated cuff, particularly if you don't own the starter, I would say this is the type of situation you hope your cuff gets into, namely that there's a possibility he takes a job and runs with it.

It's Jacksonville, I know, but from a fantasy prospective Fournette was fine last year.

So why not?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, AnchorDown said:

Murray is a great guy to have on your team but he isn’t exactly someone that titillates the sensations. 

Murray titillated the $heet out of me last year for a few games. It was OBJ like and was a nice break from watching Kamala throw up duds. Hoping for some more LatMur titillations again this year. Fortunately, I also have Robinson for additional titillations as needed. 

Edited by vikesrube

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, UVA_Drew said:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tT2p4SOY7Qc

 

For your enjoyment until Sunday 

 

I counted 9 runs, 7 of them were untouched touchdowns against division 2 opponents or whatever they are now FCS. Hate to break it to you but this Jaguar offense ain't gonna block for him like these highlights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, turner46 said:

 

I counted 9 runs, 7 of them were untouched touchdowns against division 2 opponents or whatever they are now FCS. Hate to break it to you but this Jaguar offense ain't gonna block for him like these highlights.

I’d imagine Gruden has taken that into account.
 

NFL is a different animal than NCAA, let alone Div 2. For a guy to walk on and get starting reps, he has to have shown something. 
 

Let’s hope he can produce at this much higher level. Right now, he’s a free lotto ticket at a RB2, which could be a league changer off the waiver wire at the start of the season.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Rosenburger said:

I’d imagine Gruden has taken that into account.
 

NFL is a different animal than NCAA, let alone Div 2. For a guy to walk on and get starting reps, he has to have shown something. 
 

Let’s hope he can produce at this much higher level. Right now, he’s a free lotto ticket at a RB2, which could be a league changer off the waiver wire at the start of the season.  

 

that's a very rational take ... until we see it get rebuked with the inevitable onslaught of "BUT THEY TANKING, YO!! THEY DON'T CARE!!" opines 

🤷‍♂️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, JE7HorseGod said:

More generally speaking, I think of you're wondering to drop my highly rated cuff, particularly if you don't own the starter, I would say this is the type of situation you hope your cuff gets into, namely that there's a possibility he takes a job and runs with it.

It's Jacksonville, I know, but from a fantasy prospective Fournette was fine last year.

So why not?


Fournette got 88% of the snaps behind only McCaffrey. Next highest was Barkley at 83% (doesn’t count missed games for anyone). 
 

Jay brought Thompson over from the Redskins because he likes what he can do and originally wanted someone capable of spelling Fournette more frequently. They even raved about what Thompson brings to the table in the red zone early in camp. Then Fournette shot off about Cam should be signed and starting which caused him to fall out of favor, leading to his eventual release. 
 

Best case Robinson shines and gets early down work. But the Jags will be trailing in a lot of games and will have to abandon the run game. I think 3rd downs, 2 minute, and games they fall behind early will belong to Thompson. 

Edited by alleyce

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only chance that Robinson has to blow up this year is to come out of the gate blazing and break a long one. Otherwise the other no name guys will start getting carries next week. This is his one shot. Hope he mskes the most of it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, alleyce said:


Fournette got 88% of the snaps behind only McCaffrey. Next highest was Barkley at 83% (doesn’t count missed games for anyone). 
 

Jay brought Thompson over from the Redskins because he likes what he can do and originally wanted someone capable of spelling Fournette more frequently. They even raved about what Thompson brings to the table in the red zone early in camp. Then Fournette shot off about Cam should be signed and starting which caused him to fall out of favor, leading to his eventual release. 
 

Best case Robinson shines and gets early down work. But the Jags will be trailing in a lot of games and will have to abandon the run game. I think 3rd downs, 2 minute, and games they fall behind early will belong to Thompson. 

Jacksonville has a pretty decent schedule really. Not terrible but I see your point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Kaii23 said:

The only chance that Robinson has to blow up this year is to come out of the gate blazing and break a long one. Otherwise the other no name guys will start getting carries next week. This is his one shot. Hope he mskes the most of it. 

 

the only other backs are CT and Dare Ongobongobingoo - Ozingbongo is out at least a month, Armstead is on the covid list - who knows how long he'll sit, or what kinda shape he'll be in once reinstated ...

so what other guys are we talkin' about? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Kaii23 said:

The only chance that Robinson has to blow up this year is to come out of the gate blazing and break a long one. Otherwise the other no name guys will start getting carries next week. This is his one shot. Hope he mskes the most of it. 

I mean there’s nobody behind him so the worst that can happen is he loses some touches to CT but Robinson is the backfield unless he fails miserably.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, JE7HorseGod said:

More generally speaking, I think of you're wondering to drop my highly rated cuff, particularly if you don't own the starter, I would say this is the type of situation you hope your cuff gets into, namely that there's a possibility he takes a job and runs with it.

It's Jacksonville, I know, but from a fantasy prospective Fournette was fine last year.

So why not?

Yep, I think Robinson should be prioritized over any handcuff. He has a clear path to being a fantasy RB3 with a chance of much more. Handcuffs only have a small chance of having an impact on your team throughout the year. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

From NFL.com James Robinson headline story.

 

"I would say [the hard work] hasn't paid off just yet," Robinson said. "I still have to play. It means a lot for me and my family. I'm in position to try to take care of them. It's a long season and I still have to continue to work hard and just go out and help my team."

There's a new No. 1 in the Jaguars backfield and it's time to see what he can do.

Edited by SyNdicateZ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, alleyce said:


Fournette got 88% of the snaps behind only McCaffrey. Next highest was Barkley at 83% (doesn’t count missed games for anyone). 
 

Jay brought Thompson over from the Redskins because he likes what he can do and originally wanted someone capable of spelling Fournette more frequently. They even raved about what Thompson brings to the table in the red zone early in camp. Then Fournette shot off about Cam should be signed and starting which caused him to fall out of favor, leading to his eventual release. 
 

Best case Robinson shines and gets early down work. But the Jags will be trailing in a lot of games and will have to abandon the run game. I think 3rd downs, 2 minute, and games they fall behind early will belong to Thompson. 

I know this is the conventional wisdom and most likely scenario, but what if:

A.) Jacksonville is bad but not quite as terrible as they look on paper (say some of these unheralded young defenders actually play good defense)?

B.) Robinson can actually have some success catching the ball?

I don't think it's a huge stretch to imagine at least one of these things defying expectations at least a little bit. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I know this is the conventional wisdom and most likely scenario, but what if:

A.) Jacksonville is bad but not quite as terrible as they look on paper (say some of these unheralded young defenders actually play good defense)?

B.) Robinson can actually have some success catching the ball?

I don't think it's a huge stretch to imagine at least one of these things defying expectations at least a little bit. 

C) What if they're not actually tanking? What if the players and coaches play like they want to keep making money in the NFL?

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

C) What if they're not actually tanking? What if the players and coaches play like they want to keep making money in the NFL?

Quite right.  It seems like every year teams surprise us both pleasantly and unpleasantly.  But I tend to believe that "tanking" doesn't really start for anyone in September at a competitive level.  I could certainly see by Thanksgiving if you've only got a couple wins that motivation is hard to get, but no one gets to the NFL with a mentality that losing is ok.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

C) What if they're not actually tanking? What if the players and coaches play like they want to keep making money in the NFL?

An organization can tank, but players and coaches never do (for the most part). DeSean Jackson is one player that comes to mind that mailed it in so that he was healthy for his next contract, but that is an isolated case. Players and coaches want to put it all out there on film, because a lot of times that single year is their best chance to do so.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do people really think that Minshew is going to mail it in and agree to a tank, all so they can replace him with Lawrence? 
 

Likewise with any other players, they are all going to try and ball out. The better years they have, they better ammo they have for contract negotiations when they come up. 
 

If the Jags suck (the likely will) it’s because they are not a good team, it will have nothing to do with tanking. 
 

Now, the GM can go out of his way to “not improve” the team in places it could, which I’m sure they have done, but the guys on the field will be going all out. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

C) What if they're not actually tanking? What if the players and coaches play like they want to keep making money in the NFL?

Yep. To me, tanking is what the GM does by cutting or trading players. The players are going out there to win. I get that mentally, it’s tough if you feel like management is doing things to win later, but Robinson isn’t some sure thing with a huge contract. He’s going out there like his hair is on fire to prove he belongs in the NFL.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, alleyce said:


 

25 minutes ago, Rosenburger said:

Do people really think that Minshew is going to mail it in and agree to a tank, all so they can replace him with Lawrence? 
 

Likewise with any other players, they are all going to try and ball out. The better years they have, they better ammo they have for contract negotiations when they come up. 
 

If the Jags suck (the likely will) it’s because they are not a good team, it will have nothing to do with tanking. 
 

Now, the GM can go out of his way to “not improve” the team in places it could, which I’m sure they have done, but the guys on the field will be going all out. 

 

The jets traded jamaal Adams and are starting Blake cashman at LBer, their WR1 is Jamison Crowder. 

 

If anyone is tanking for the #1 pick it's the J.E.T.S.

Edited by DerrickHenrysCleats

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This guy hit the ultimate jackpot situation for an undrafted rookie. This is the most important moment of his football career. I hope he crushes it.

Edited by Spyplane
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Spyplane said:

This guy hit the ultimate jackpot situation for an undrafted rookie. This is the most important moment of his football career. I hope he crushes it.

tenor.gif

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...