ginocan

Yahoo! Draft Grades

So I’m going to finish last in the 8 Pro Leagues that I am in, according to Yahoo! And apparently Yahoo! think I am the worst FF player ever.

I have never got better than a C from them. And I always came out of the draft liking my team so I don’t know. 

Topic? Well how much stocks do you put in Yahoo! grading. And what is your opinions of them...

BTW, if enough people care about this topic, I’ll post the roster that I drafted with the letter C- from Yahoo! 

No stock on Yahoo grading.  Every team in my league with the top grade would up finishing poorly.  An A+ grade is the kiss of death in my PPR league.  

• Haha 2

Zero....I always finish with a C- D in Yahoo.  A few years back I made my first pick and then lost internet connection.   Rounds 2-11 were all Auto Picks.    Round 2 I believe they drafted me an injured RB... Round 4 It took the vikings defense.... Round 7 was Greg Zureline.   I logged back in and said well this is a waste of a season.   Draft grade B.....  

I also do not take any stock in projections in the first few weeks.   If you are drafting a great team based on the previous years your projections will be much higher.  If you are drafting on 2020 upside you will have much lower numbers for the first few weeks until your players actually start to perform the way you expected and those projections move up.  

In my humble opinion: Disregard completely. In my time playing on Yahoo (granted, it is a small sample size with 5 seasons played and 2 leagues), not once has the team that got the Yahoo trophy for "winning the draft" won the league. We actually make fun of whoever is declared the draft winner by Yahoo.

I think that actually it is a good sign if you get a bad grade by Yahoo, because you did research on your own and made your own decisions instead of just going by what Yahoo tells you.

1 hour ago, ginocan said:

So I’m going to finish last in the 8 Pro Leagues that I am in, according to Yahoo! And apparently Yahoo! think I am the worst FF player ever.

I have never got better than a C from them. And I always came out of the draft liking my team so I don’t know. 

Topic? Well how much stocks do you put in Yahoo! grading. And what is your opinions of them...

BTW, if enough people care about this topic, I’ll post the roster that I drafted with the letter C- from Yahoo! 

I usually get As, and I completely ignore that. I also generally finish with no more than a 3rd of the players I start with so I don't think it matters too much.

FWIW, at least Yahoo has learned to give those grades irrespective of the K/D you draft, so that's good.

Well, I often think yahoo's default rankings aren't the best so a bad grade from them is probably a good thing

2 hours ago, ginocan said:

I never get good draft grades from them but it is a generic auto response based on their rankings of players. They don't identify breakout players like we do.

I'd like to see your team that got a C

I've got a C grade for going too heavy on rookies but this is a big year for rookies in good situations, CEH, Ruggs, Bryan Edwards, Jeudy, Taylor, Pittman are all in situations to be immediate fantasy factors 

Just drafted a team last night. Got an A. Predicted to win the league with a 10-3 record.  In other words, I’m totally f*@ked!!

Edited by Rod6874
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

They were right about that part.

Yeah, that’s hilarious.

If you want a good grade on yahoo. Take the top available player each round to fill your starting lineup... And then draft the top available backup for each position that doesn't have the same byes as your previous picks... This includes kickers and Def. The grade is based on projected points scored based on your best lineup each week. 

Typically these guys getting the best grades have backup qbs tes defs and kickers.. And didn't reach for any sleepers early 

I always do poorly in my actual yahoo drafts. If you do enough mock drafts you can figure out how to "game" an A ranking if you want, but I never like those teams. For example, in baseball teams sometimes I don't draft relievers, and in football I never draft defenses or kickers. If you do either of those things you will not get a good grade. Nonetheless I am diamond rated in all three of the major sports. 

Of course they’re garbage...because a season is never won or lost in the draft. You win your league with FA moves and waiver claims, trades, sits-starts, and a lot of luck. The draft just gets you on your way. 

• Like 1

Draft 12 QBs and you'll get your A

13 hours ago, Travis C. said:

If you want a good grade on yahoo. Take the top available player each round to fill your starting lineup... And then draft the top available backup for each position that doesn't have the same byes as your previous picks... This includes kickers and Def. The grade is based on projected points scored based on your best lineup each week. 

Typically these guys getting the best grades have backup qbs tes defs and kickers.. And didn't reach for any sleepers early 

Yup. Ignore the grades. Can't remember exactly what I got last year, but pretty sure it was a B at best and I won the league. I do know that the guy who finished dead last got an A.

One guy in our league autodrafted and he was give a C grade.  In the analysis of his draft, he was criticized for the choices he made.  Yeah, ignore the grades.

This is funny, just the other night all my buddies were ripping me because I got a C grade! Imagine putting stock in those Yahoo draft grades lol 

Loved my draft last year, refreshed the league homepage some time after that and noticed Yahoo gave me a D grade for my draft. I laughed audibly when I saw it, changed my team name to "Draft Grade D", and won the league.

I think the guy who had the best draft grade went 2-11 with the second fewest points scored. 

Moral of the story? Yep, there's no correlation to Yahoo draft grade and a successful season. If anything, it might be an inverse relationship.