oresteszero

Trading Before Week 1

What are your thoughts on trades that occur before the first game of the year? I always found it a bit strange when trades take place before the season starts, especially with no pre-season.

What do you think?

I don’t guess I see it as strange. Guys may go through a draft and realize they left themselves with a hole in their roster...or may have drafter’s remorse and want to move a guy...or wish they would have reached for a guy and then make a deal for him after missing out on him...or maybe they don’t like the camp reports coming out on one of the guys they drafted. There could be a variety of reasons for trades before the season. 

• Like 5

I've done it. Would do it again if I believe it'd help improve my team. I have been burned though. Traded WW pickup Conner for 4th or 5th round Hilton to the Bell owner before Bell's holdout I was short on WRs and deep in RB. But that one hurt.

28 minutes ago, oresteszero said:

What are your thoughts on trades that occur before the first game of the year? I always found it a bit strange when trades take place before the season starts, especially with no pre-season.

What do you think?

Always. Everyone's on the block at all times. I have depth and am trying to help out teams who don't have depth but are top heavy, 2 for 1 type of deals. Or if you have draft regrets, trade them away :)

• Like 1

might be the cheapest time you get to trade. also the most riskiest as the guy you give up value can go up.

I love it, try it yourself! My personal favorite pre-season trade is when you are able to pick someone up for free off the waivers, then turn around and add them to sweeten your trade nectar. 

True, I've definitely been burnt before and it ruined my season. But you know what they say "cocaine is one helluva drug!" 

But one strategy I've used this year is, don't make a trade that involves your starting line-up. People draft players that are good that won't even crack their starting line-up because they're loaded at a specific position. I drafted RB heavy this year and was able to make some good trades.

Sometimes things go perfect and you trade at the perfect time! Timing is everything, I traded away Kerryon Johnson to an owner who needed a rb and then the next couple days later AP is signed, I was able to get SOME value out of him before it just flat lined. 

• Like 2

Just my preference but I don't like to make trades before week 1...Even more so this year with no preseason 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oresteszero said:

What do you think?

In Dynasty it's more or less the norm. We're talking long-term considerations, so it makes total sense to try and reshape your roster.

In Redraft - meh. I prefer to sit tight a watch a couple weeks before taking action, unless you're really not happy with your draft. I managed to upgrade one redraft roster which had not gone to plan, and I feel it's more balanced now.

2 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

In Redraft - meh. I prefer to sit tight a watch a couple weeks before taking action, unless you're really not happy with your draft. I managed to upgrade one redraft roster which had not gone to plan, and I feel it's more balanced now.

this is basically how I feel. I feel like a lot of people just look right back at the draft and assign play value similarly to that even though it’s ever-changing. I’m certainly not against it, I just rarely feel like there’s ground to be gained for my team and I think there’s typically more leverage to be played with around game stat sell high/buy low as opposed to camp hype, roster moves, etc. 

This year in my dynasty league I have already made 5 or six trades. shifting picks around, trading players away that have risen in the rankings and I don't like or need them etc.

in redraft it highly depends on your draft. I sometimes draft a player with the sole reason to trade him (which is always a gamble but can pay off). Otherwise I only draft if I made a mistake during the draft or if a team made a mistake I can exploit.

Beware, trading is a hell of a drug and I'm addicted af.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, devilfish said:

Traded Deboo Samuel and RoJo away for OBJ and James White... Lottery if RoJo will escalate sunday

The other owner is just an idiot even if this was pre-Fournette (bigger idiot if this was ppr or even half ppr).

• Like 2

It's the post week 1 trades that hurt the most.

I traded away breakout Arian Foster for Fitzgerald in a down year and then followed that up by trading breakout Alfred Morris for Justin Blackmon.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, young dude said:

The other owner is just an idiot even if this was pre-Fournette (bigger idiot if this was ppr or even half ppr).

Half ppr... this is why I think White has value..

Like others say, it's high-risk, high-reward. I wonder if it's more prevalent in salary cap leagues because you have a bit less control over which players you end up with.

There was a legendary pre-season trade a few years back in our league. Guy traded for Peyton Manning and Demaryius Thomas just before that massive opening game where they got like 70pts between them. I think that put us all on tilt for years.

I love pre-week 1 trades. It gives you a chance to jump on a guy you like before his value balloons. 

• Like 1

Just now, Ryansm11 said:

I love pre-week 1 trades. It gives you a chance to jump on a guy you like before his value balloons. 

Or plummets, in which case you hate yourself. 

10 hours ago, BLINDSIDERS said:

I just can't do it. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if the guys I gave up go off. 

Bingo. I draft players I want, I don’t draft players I don’t want.
Only one rule to reconsider if the trade is too damn good then and only then will I make a trade. 

I use it more for roster construction... sometimes you draft on value rather than on what you need or makes most sense for your roster.  As the Jonathan Taylor owner, one trade I’m considering right now is offering RoJo to the Fournette owner for Mack to lock up the Colts backfield.

I would never trade a high pick for another high pick just because I had second thoughts, unless it had something to do with roster construction. 

Edited by SkinsChargersFan
  • Like 1

Dalvin Cook fell to me at 11 this year.  I was ecstatic to land him, but given his injury history I thought it prudent to get Mattison.  He was sniped a few picks before I intended to grab him.  I took Tony Pollard instead.

The dude who took Mattison had an early pick and went with Zeke.  So we ended up with each other's handcuff.  I'm sure he was planning on getting Pollard as well, but I obviously threw a wrench in his plans.  After the draft he hit me up with an offer, Mattison for Pollard.  I made the trade.  I think Pollard has the higher ceiling, but it's offset by the greater likelihood that Cook gets hurt and Mattison gets called up.

• Like 1

Funny you made this thread as I just made my first before week 1 trade and I'm not sure how I feel about it lol. I gave up Jonathan Taylor as the other owner really needed a RB and he offered me Hopkins and Ertz for JT and Gesicki. To me it was a no brainer but with no preseason I might have just gave up a top 5 RB. Oh well I guess that's the fun in it.

I just traded Nick Chubb and Anthony Miller for Davante Adams.

My WRs were Robert Woods, D.J. Chark, Will Fuller, Bryan Edwards, Parris Campbell and Brandon Aiyuk and Anthony Miller
My RBs were Clyde Edwards-Helaire, Nick Chubb, Aaron Jones, Zach Moss and Chase Edmonds.