Sign in to follow this  
Nap Time

Marvin Jones 2020 Outlook

Lions fan checking in!

Sorry but unfortunately I have not much insight to contribute.  I'm just as confused as the rest of you.  Before the season I thought he as a lock for a 4 rec/50 yard floor with 100 yard/TD upside weekly.  Obviously that's not he case, but Marvin is absolutely still an above average receiver. 

He is a great team guy and still has good relationship with Stafford.  He actually led all Lions receivers in snaps yesterday - more than Kenny G.  So, whoever mentioned locker room issue, intentional phase out, I don't think any of those theories hold water.  They're just spreading the ball around a lot, and for some reason the offense is having trouble hitting it's stride this year.  I have noticed he's had a few drops, and as a guy with supreme hands, it's uncharacteristic and I think he will correct that.

Are better games ahead?  Yes.  Is he going to be a consistent every-week contributor?  We have our answer, he's not.  I don't advise running to the WW just to dump him, but I certainly understand managers who may have to cut him out of necessity due to bye, injury, etc.

Edited by JJ1223
  • Thanks 1

For those interested, a Lions writer did a write-up on Marvin based on this past week's All-22 film:

What happened to Marvin Jones?

Many fans—myself included—were concerned by Jones’ lack of production over the past two games. He’s managed just three catches and 17 yards total over that span, causing many to throw accusations that he’s dogging it or that he just doesn’t have it any more.

I didn’t see signs of either of those things against the Jaguars. It’s a boring answer to this question, but Jones was just mostly a decoy on Sunday—and an effective one, at that. Let me show you some examples:

jones_as_a_decoy.png

This is the Lions’ patented deep shot to Marvin Hall, and Marvin Jones Jr. is the key to it all. He needs to run his route behind the linebackers, and has to convince that deep middle safety the ball is coming his way. That way, it opens up the middle of the field for Hall, who has inside leverage on the deep left defensive back. It works to perfection:

marvin_hall_open.png

Stafford threw the ball considerably behind Hall, who had to slow to get it, allowing the Jaguars defensive back to break it up.

Another example:

jones_decoy_part_2.png

With the Jaguars in man-to-man coverage with a single high safety, Jones’ job is to clear out the middle of the field. Jacksonville often tried to take away deep shots, so we saw Detroit use their running backs, tight ends and slot receivers (responsible for 18 of 31 pass targets) as their primary reads.

Jones’ purpose here is to occupy that middle safety and give Amendola room, as long as he can beat his guy. Jones, too, could be an option here, but it would be a much more difficult “turkey hole” throw. Again, everything works to perfection here. Amendola beats his guy, Jones occupies the safety, and it’s an easy 19-yard pickup:

insta.gif

So am I really concerned about Marvin Jones Jr.? No, not really. Sure, he isn’t getting a ton of separation, but that’s always been the case. Just look at the Next Gen Stats for Average Separation

2016: 2.0
2017: 2.2
2018: 2.2
2019: 2.1
2020: 1.8

Yes, it is smaller, but not to the point where we’d see this significant drop in overall production.

The truth is, Jones has a reputation as a significant weapon, and the Lions are using that to their advantage. And let’s not forget that Jones had a 20-yard catch in this game called back due to a ticky-tacky illegal hands to the face penalty on Joe Dahl.

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2020/10/22/21527156/3-observations-lions-jaguars-all-22-film-marvin-jones-run-defense

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, JJ1223 said:

For those interested, a Lions writer did a write-up on Marvin based on this past week's All-22 film:

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2020/10/22/21527156/3-observations-lions-jaguars-all-22-film-marvin-jones-run-defense

This makes me feel better. Thank you!

• Like 1

Really tempted to play him this week. Falcons D. This could be the marvin explosion game. 

9 minutes ago, cgu112 said:

Really tempted to play him this week. Falcons D. This could be the marvin explosion game. 

Don't. You have better options on your roster and if not there is probably someone on the waiver/free agency that is better.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ergogh said:

Don't. You have better options on your roster and if not there is probably someone on the waiver/free agency that is better.

see this is the kind of doubt that fuels marvin

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, iretirefromfantasy said:

I heard the Browns, Saints, Patriots are interested in him. 

Browns would be cool. Saints would relegate him to situational deep threat when everyone is healthy. Patriots are a dumpster fire. 

Pretty solid plug-and-play next week versus a barely there Vikes secondary.

3 hours ago, YK35 said:

Might be a good play if Golladay misses time

Will be good. He's always produced when Golladay misses time. He's immediately a high upside WR3. Even if Golladay is fine, I think he needs to be back on the fantasy radar. 

4 hours ago, ajs723 said:

Will be good. He's always produced when Golladay misses time. He's immediately a high upside WR3. Even if Golladay is fine, I think he needs to be back on the fantasy radar. 

Did absolutely nothing when Golladay was off the field to start the year

4 hours ago, ajs723 said:

except for 2 of the 3 weeks golladay has missed in 2020

Edited by iamkoza
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, iamkoza said:

except for 2 of the 3 weeks golladay has missed in 2020

Touche. He's done well over a bigger sample though.  

34 minutes ago, TheBridge2011 said:

Thoughts on firing him up this week? He’s got a good matchup with the Vikings, but the Chase Daniels possibility has me worried.

Seems like most likely  gonna be Stafford 

Vikings are having to play a DB that was cut by the Lions a few weeks ago. They have 3 or 4 DB's that are injured and might have to promote someone else of the practice squad.

If the Detroit O-Line can protect the QB, Detroit should score at least 40 no matter who the QB is. 

I think Chase Daniels torched the Vikings as the starting QB in Chicago last year. And the Vikes defense was at least halfway decent last year. I would think Marvin should have a good day tomorrow with the Vikings Def in the shape that it is in this year.

Edited by rabaak
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, GeneralTsou said:

Any hope for Starvin Marvin this week against WFT?

Of course. No Kenny G. Looking like no Hock. He should be the number 1 target. You could do a lot worse in a pinch.