shakestreet

2020 Vent & Rant Thread

I'm surprised I haven't seen more rants about Odell. Am I the only shmuck who started him? I lost by 2 after going against Lockett and Rams D Sun and Mon night. Could've played ANYONE on my bench over him this week and won. I'm angry!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TeflonDonNewcombe said:

I'm surprised I haven't seen more rants about Odell. Am I the only shmuck who started him? I lost by 2 after going against Lockett and Rams D Sun and Mon night. Could've played ANYONE on my bench over him this week and won. I'm angry!

We just all saw it coming I guess.

26 minutes ago, JDE said:

I still think don’t think it’s a bad idea to limit your risk and pick up a Herbert/Wentz/Tannehill off the waivers as insurance at some point during the season. 

last year alone Ben missed most of the season, Brees missed a ton of time, I think Mahomes missed some time, Cam was MIA. And I remember a few seasons before that several big name QBs went down with significant injuries. If you roll with one QB one bad break could really set your team back.

Admittedly I do deeper leagues with 8 bench spots, which makes it much easier to carry a backup QB without sacrificing the bench space, but even when I do shallow leagues I almost always carry a secondary QB.

If there is a stud being ignored like Herbert I pick him up. Did with one team I have Kyler on but it just depends. On another team that is 6-1, I lost Saquon and Dak. Picked Herbert up and kept rolling. It all depends. Most QBs though are not that far off in scoring after you get past the first few. I mean, there is Russ, Kyler, Mahomey, Allen. Herbert is right up that area with them based on his points average.

4k1c1y.jpg

Edited by FitzMagic
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

Agreed. I think it's not just a difference in strategy though, the individual league will make a difference. People stash QBs in my 14-teamer with short benches, but don't stash them in my 10-teamer - at least, nearly all of them don't. With that in mind I'm far more likely to pick up a bye week cover QB early in the 14-teamer than the 10-teamer (still haven't, and I have Kyler this week). It's like a rush on a position in the draft - on the one hand, you don't want to reach for somebody, but on the other hand if everyone else joins in you can get left behind.

Yeah I was talking about a 10 team league, and imo there is no more replaceable position in a 10 team league than QB. I mean I'm annoyed that I'm probably going to have to start Teddy Bridgewater this week, but he's still not a terrible play. And that's the thing about hoarding QBs, you may be screwing over your opponent a little, but they will still always have a viable play on the waiver wire in 10 team leagues. And I will never trade for a QB in 10 team leagues, so what you have is a player sitting on your bench all season who has zero trade value, and is only going to be used in the bye week. To me, that's a waste of a bench spot

But it's more of an annoyance than something that is gonna completely screw over my season...

Yeah, it's all about situation. I've really enjoyed having Russell and Kyler this year in my main leagues because I just haven't had to faff around with streaming. Just got lucky with Russell's bye week cover, and hoping to get lucky with Kyler's. Was looking at RB and WR depth instead of picking up another QB...although that hasn't exactly panned out lol.

Just now, atrium said:

Yeah I was talking about a 10 team league, and imo there is no more replaceable position in a 10 team league than QB. I mean I'm annoyed that I'm probably going to have to start Teddy Bridgewater this week, but he's still not a terrible play. And that's the thing about hoarding QBs, you may be screwing over your opponent a little, but they will still always have a viable play on the waiver wire in 10 team leagues. And I will never trade for a QB in 10 team leagues, so what you have is a player sitting on your bench all season who has zero trade value, and is only going to be used in the bye week. To me, that's a waste of a bench spot

But it's more of an annoyance than something that is gonna completely screw over my season...

Yup. I like trading, but it's clear that in 10-team leagues it just rarely happens and when it does you're more likely to regret it than otherwise. There's just too much left on the wire.

Depends on the league, if everyone else stash one, you're going to end up left with garbage when you need to stream. Stashing an unproven young QB can be also nicely rewarding, when you stash someone like Mahomes in his sophomore season, or Herbert this year

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FitzMagic said:

If there is a stud being ignored like Herbert I pick him up. Did with one team I have Kyler on but it just depends. On another team that is 6-1, I lost Saquon and Dak. Picked Herbert up and kept rolling. It all depends. Most QBs though are not that far off in scoring after you get past the first few. I mean, there is Russ, Kyler, Mahomey, Allen. Herbert is right up that area with them based on his points average.

4k1c1y.jpg

that is literally me this week with Lamar looking on. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cleanface said:

that is literally me this week with Lamar looking on. 

Yep me too

3 hours ago, atrium said:

I guess it just comes down to a difference in strategy.

i like using my bench for high upside lottery stashes. I don’t use my bench to screw over the one or two other teams out there who waited on QB because it doesn’t help my team enough (especially not in 10 team leagues). And I don’t use my bench for a 1 week bye fill-in because there’s just not enough value in that to warrant a bench spot

that's pretty self-centered of you, honestly. Maybe they're not thinking "man. i really want to fck atrium over so I'm gonna keep a backup qb"? Perhaps they know they play in a league where almost everybody keeps a backup qb, thus qbs in that league are more valuable. It sounds to me like, frankly, you have not valued the qb position in that league properly and are now paying the price. It's not your leaguemate's job to only each take one qb so you can horde value elsewhere and stream to your heart's content. If they are running with backup QBs on the bench and they are winning and you are not, doesn't that kind of imply there is a deficiency with your strategy and not theirs? You like using your bench for "high upside lottery stashes". They like using theirs to ensure they don't have to start Nick Foles or Sam Darnold. 

also perhaps they are taking in to account COVID and how that can put anybody at any time out for the week making backups and depth more valuable this season. 

5 minutes ago, yossarian said:

that's pretty self-centered of you, honestly. Maybe they're not thinking "man. i really want to fck atrium over so I'm gonna keep a backup qb"? Perhaps they know they play in a league where almost everybody keeps a backup qb, thus qbs in that league are more valuable. It sounds to me like, frankly, you have not valued the qb position in that league properly and are now paying the price. It's not your leaguemate's job to only each take one qb so you can horde value elsewhere and stream to your heart's content. If they are running with backup QBs on the bench and they are winning and you are not, doesn't that kind of imply there is a deficiency with your strategy and not theirs? You like using your bench for "high upside lottery stashes". They like using theirs to ensure they don't have to start Nick Foles or Sam Darnold. 

also perhaps they are taking in to account COVID and how that can put anybody at any time out for the week making backups and depth more valuable this season. 

Self-centered? Really, dude? I was responding specifically to leffe186, who said that part of his strategy is having QBs so that other teams won't have them. That isn't self-centered, it's a strategy that some people employ. Don't attack me for responding to something someone else said. What is your problem?

3 hours ago, leffe186 said:

Yeah, but there's also the fact that a good QB on your bench is a good QB not starting for somebody else. The fact it's annoying atrium so much suggests that it's working.

For example, at TE I have Andrews, picked Goedert up at cover (now sitting in my IR spot) and had to grab Gronk as cover for him. Now if Goedert is back I may have three usable TEs which is obviously a luxury. Yet the guy who's interested in a trade (only has Jimmy Graham) is a competitor for the playoffs. If he offers me a lot I will do it, obviously, but I'm tempted to hold them to play keepaway.

Edited by atrium

3 hours ago, atrium said:

I guess it just comes down to a difference in strategy.

i like using my bench for high upside lottery stashes. I don’t use my bench to screw over the one or two other teams out there who waited on QB because it doesn’t help my team enough (especially not in 10 team leagues). And I don’t use my bench for a 1 week bye fill-in because there’s just not enough value in that to warrant a bench spot

when i said "self-centered" i was replying to this (which I admit was not what I quoted). Here you're implying that your opponents are holding backup qbs only to screw with your team/strategy and not to make their teams better. In this statement you're basically making their strategy all about you, which I thought was a self-centered thought. I probably could've used other phrasing and clearly I don't know you as a person (you might be a very giving, wonderful person--who knows) nor should I have implied that. Sorry about that. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, yossarian said:

when i said "self-centered" i was replying to this (which I admit was not what I quoted). Here you're implying that your opponents are holding backup qbs only to screw with your team/strategy and not to make their teams better. In this statement you're basically making their strategy all about you, which I thought was a self-centered thought. I probably could've used other phrasing and clearly I don't know you as a person (you might be a very giving, wonderful person--who knows) nor should I have implied that. Sorry about that. 

In a vacuum, yeah it does looks like a self-centered thought. just to clarify, i was responding directly to the other guy saying that was his exact strategy. I'm sure people hold players on their bench for all sorts of reasons though and not just one single reason. And I know that the blame lies on me for my roster management, not on my leaguemates. I'm just here to vent, and I know it's not always rational lol

Anyway, hope we cool 🤝

• Like 2

Just now, atrium said:

In a vacuum, yeah it does looks like a self-centered thought. just to clarify, i was responding directly to the other guy saying that was his exact strategy. I'm sure people hold players on their bench for all sorts of reasons though and not just one single reason. And I know that the blame lies on me for my roster management, not on my leaguemates. I'm just here to vent, and I know it's not always rational lol

Anyway, hope we cool 🤝

Just to clarify, it’s not my strategy, but it’s something my league mates do in the 14-teamer and something it sounds like your league mates employ. It’s precisely because other teams do this that I invested in Russell Wilson in one league and Kyler in the other.

• Like 1

This is not my rant but the most stacked team in my league is 2-5.

These are his starters

Ryan Tannehill, Aaron Jones, Raheem Mostert, Davante Adams, Chris Godwin, George Kittle, and flex is any pick of Jonathan Taylor, Ronald Jones, Keenan Allen, Dionte Johnson.  

Due to our custom keeper rules this team is pretty stacked (12 team) but injuries have absolutely wrecked what should be the dream team.  

• Like 2

If you can't decide on starting two players and it's a tie in your mind just go with the dude who ESPN projects to get less points. 80 percent of the time it works every time. 

• Like 1

Imagine drafting Odell, Parker, Drake, Sanders, and J. Brown in one league.

Then imagine drafting M. Thomas and Drake in another.

spacer.png.

1 hour ago, Gohawks said:

Imagine drafting Odell, Parker, Drake, Sanders, and J. Brown in one league.

Then imagine drafting M. Thomas and Drake in another.

spacer.png.

Imagine this :*(

I knew this would be a bad week for me at RB with having James Robinson and Edmonds on bye, along with Mostert being hurt...and now I find out Aaron Jones and Allen Robinson are also both likely out. And to make it worse my opponent is super weak at RB and he has Jamaal Williams. I went from having 3 RB1's to starting McKinnon, Deejay Dallas, and Darnell Mooney in one week 😔

On 10/28/2020 at 2:00 PM, GoPackGo23 said:

I knew this would be a bad week for me at RB with having James Robinson and Edmonds on bye, along with Mostert being hurt...and now I find out Aaron Jones and Allen Robinson are also both likely out. And to make it worse my opponent is super weak at RB and he has Jamaal Williams. I went from having 3 RB1's to starting McKinnon, Deejay Dallas, and Darnell Mooney in one week 😔

me 2. go from jones and sanders to gaskins and perine plus with nuk and cooks on bye starting baller corey davis.

My Vent & Rant is that this Thursday night game has these two sh*tty teams in even worse weather.   That is all.