MyFistYourFace

Myles Gaskin 2020 Outlook

3 minutes ago, rolled_set said:

No hype on Gaskin?

Are you just ignoring the last few posts? Hype train is gaining steam... 

4 minutes ago, rolled_set said:

No hype on Gaskin?

27 touches, 77% of snaps on a team with a bad offensive line last night. 

Volume based RB3, maybe he sneaks into RB2 territory. Nothing too hype about that, but great value from the waiver wire or super late round draft pick nonetheless. 

Is that hype enough for ya?

Edited by next big thing cp84

1 hour ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

You did quote yourself though. 

You pat yourself on the back in front of your mirror too? 

Lol, I'm just teasing... Kind of. 

Lol fair enough, it's probably the second time I've done that on the forum. Just felt the need to prove a point when another poster responded to my original post about Gaskin a league winner in deeper leagues and said it was going too far. 3 games in and I think it's definitely trending the way I anticipated (knock on wood, fingers crossed).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rolled_set said:

No hype on Gaskin?

Hard to gain a lot of hype when you know if their team gets inside the 5 they are bring the vultures out. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

He’s been better and more consistent than Henry so far this year. Straight facts. 

Good thing fantasy isn't won in the first 2 weeks.

Even better and more relevant fact.

Boom.

39 minutes ago, K197040 said:

That and that last trip up late in the 4th quarter on the 15 yard run.  

I'd have to watch again but that might have been the last man back on defense. 

It's impressive how much better he has been than Derrick Henry thus far.

31 minutes ago, TheDoctor said:

Hard to gain a lot of hype when you know if their team gets inside the 5 they are bring the vultures out. 

Again, it's worth noting that Gaskin got several carries from inside the 5 too, and several more from inside the ten as well. It's not like they brought in Howard as soon as they got anywhere near the goal line. It's more like Howard is a fullback at this point.

We could easily be talking about Gaskin having 25+ touches, 100+ yards, and 2 TDs today. It didn't work out that way, but one or two decent blocks, and this thread would have 5 more pages of posts today. 

• Like 5

really liked what I saw last night, think Flores has decided this is his lead back for the foreseeable future. We got a RB2 on our hands for ROS outlook especially if he sees that level of snap count on a weekly basis!

1 hour ago, TheDoctor said:

He had a couple of carries inside the 5. Howard only came in when its 1yard out. Altho I found it curios that toward the end of the game (last trip inside the 5 yards) the dolphin coaches keep running him up the middle inside of utilizing his lateral agility in a zone run or something.

1 hour ago, ajs723 said:

Again, it's worth noting that Gaskin got several carries from inside the 5 too, and several more from inside the ten as well. It's not like they brought in Howard as soon as they got anywhere near the goal line. It's more like Howard is a fullback at this point.

We could easily be talking about Gaskin having 25+ touches, 100+ yards, and 2 TDs today. It didn't work out that way, but one or two decent blocks, and this thread would have 5 more pages of posts today. 

Jordan Howard has 8 attempts inside the 5 verse Gaskin's 1 on the season. 

Gaskin has 5 attempts from inside the 10, but Howard only plays from inside the 5 as he has the same attempts from inside the 5 as 10 since all rushes inside the 5 are obviously rushes inside the 10.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2020/redzone-rushing.htm

This is nothing to takeaway from Gaskin he's a good player, but to say he's not getting vultured or automatically being taken out on designed rushing plays inside the 5 is totally false.

One takeaway I had is that later in the game he was running right into the line up the middle and didn’t seem to have any desire to bounce anything outside. Bouncing it outside is pretty much what this undersized guy made a living doing in college. I’m not sure if that’s what the coaches wanted him to do simply to protect the ball and burn clock, but this guy could have picked up another 20 yards if he wasn’t tucking into the pile the last bunch of carries. 

9 minutes ago, TheForearmShiver said:

One takeaway I had is that later in the game he was running right into the line up the middle and didn’t seem to have any desire to bounce anything outside. Bouncing it outside is pretty much what this undersized guy made a living doing in college. I’m not sure if that’s what the coaches wanted him to do simply to protect the ball and burn clock, but this guy could have picked up another 20 yards if he wasn’t tucking into the pile the last bunch of carries. 

Agree, I think the coaches just want to run the clock out

• Like 1

One thing to note as well is Howard is and looked down right awful. He fell in for the TD but on his other GL stint he got stuffed each time. The problem is, he had no second effort at all. Just fell over. Breida also looked awful. Was extremely indecisive running the ball and spent way too much time dancing around.

Just not much of a threat. Gaskin also got 25% target share this game and caught every single pass thrown at him.

I’ll say it again, this game is not a fair judge of his talent. They basically played the offensive version of “prevent defense” the entire second half. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, TheDoctor said:

Gaskin has 5 attempts from inside the 10, but Howard only plays from inside the 5 as he has the same attempts from inside the 5 as 10 since all rushes inside the 5 are obviously rushes inside the 10.

This is nothing to takeaway from Gaskin he's a good player, but to say he's not getting vultured or automatically being taken out on designed rushing plays inside the 5 is totally false.

That has to be out of date. Gaskin had 3 carries inside the 5 just last night. 

So the updated numbers would be, what... 7 for Howard and 4 for Gaskin?

45 minutes ago, TheDoctor said:

Those damn interference calls in the end zone are killers.  Two of them last night.

Had those not happened, Gaskin had a good shot at a short pass for TD.

Edited by K197040

18 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

That has to be out of date. Gaskin had 3 carries inside the 5 just last night. 

So the updated numbers would be, what... 7 for Howard and 4 for Gaskin?

It's up to date they already included all the stats this is how it works out on the play-by-play. A rush on the 5 yard line counts as a rush inside the 10 since it is an exclusive number range.

What's worse is that Howard was brought it after the failed attempt by Gaskin in the 3rd quarter. Again this isn't any slight to Gaskin as a player, but it is something that limits his upside. 

3rd & 1 at JAX 9
(10:14 - 1st) (Shotgun) M.Gaskin up the middle to JAX 5 for 4 yards (J.Jones). (RUSH INSIDE 10)

1st & Goal at JAX 5
(9:39 - 1st) M.Gaskin up the middle to JAX 3 for 2 yards (M.Jack). (RUSH INSIDE 10)

2nd & Goal at JAX 3
(8:57 - 1st) M.Gaskin up the middle to JAX 3 for no gain (M.Jack). (RUSH INSIDE 5)

1st & Goal at JAX 5
(4:04 - 3rd) (Shotgun) M.Gaskin up the middle to JAX 4 for 1 yard (J.Jones). (RUSH INSIDE 10)

Jordan Howard

1st & Goal at JAX 1
(2:37 - 1st) J.Howard up the middle for 1 yard, TOUCHDOWN.J.Sanders extra point is GOOD, Center-B.Ferguson, Holder-M.Haack. (RUSH INSIDE 5)

1st & Goal at JAX 1
(3:19 - 3rd) J.Howard left end to JAX 2 for -1 yards (A.Gotsis). (RUSH INSIDE 5)

2nd & Goal at JAX 2
(2:40 - 3rd) J.Howard up the middle to JAX 1 for 1 yard (C.Marsh). (RUSH INSIDE 5)

Edited by TheDoctor
  • Thanks 1

Glad I got on board this train prior to last night's game. RB3 with some upside in PPR for free.

1 hour ago, TheDoctor said:

It's up to date they already included all the stats this is how it works out on the play-by-play. A rush on the 5 yard line counts as a rush inside the 10 since it is an exclusive number range.

What's worse is that Howard was brought it after the failed attempt by Gaskin in the 3rd quarter. Again this isn't any slight to Gaskin as a player, but it is something that limits his upside. 

3rd & 1 at JAX 9
(10:14 - 1st) (Shotgun) M.Gaskin up the middle to JAX 5 for 4 yards (J.Jones). (RUSH INSIDE 10)

1st & Goal at JAX 5
(9:39 - 1st) M.Gaskin up the middle to JAX 3 for 2 yards (M.Jack). (RUSH INSIDE 10)

2nd & Goal at JAX 3
(8:57 - 1st) M.Gaskin up the middle to JAX 3 for no gain (M.Jack). (RUSH INSIDE 5)

1st & Goal at JAX 5
(4:04 - 3rd) (Shotgun) M.Gaskin up the middle to JAX 4 for 1 yard (J.Jones). (RUSH INSIDE 10)

Jordan Howard

1st & Goal at JAX 1
(2:37 - 1st) J.Howard up the middle for 1 yard, TOUCHDOWN.J.Sanders extra point is GOOD, Center-B.Ferguson, Holder-M.Haack. (RUSH INSIDE 5)

1st & Goal at JAX 1
(3:19 - 3rd) J.Howard left end to JAX 2 for -1 yards (A.Gotsis). (RUSH INSIDE 5)

2nd & Goal at JAX 2
(2:40 - 3rd) J.Howard up the middle to JAX 1 for 1 yard (C.Marsh). (RUSH INSIDE 5)

I don’t understand. You just stated in your prior post above that Gaskins only has 1 rush inside the 5 yard line compared to 8 for Howard, then rattled off 3 plays where they gave Gaskin the ball on or inside the 5...or are we just using the actual 5 yard line as an arbitrary point to skew perception? Look, the bottom line is that a rush on or near the 5 yard line is promising usage. The fact that he’s even on the field taking snaps means that he could be involved in play-action/screen passes from that range in the future. Sure, the touchdown efficiency grows the closer you get to the end zone, and he might get vultured several more times if they get down to the 1 or 2 yard line, but it’s still promising usage on top of a nice floor of volume. The takeaway that he’s automatically out of favor in short yardage goal-line packages is misleading when you simply bring up the 8:1 “inside the 5 yard line” ratio. 

On another note, I love how he’s proving most doubters wrong. Almost every analyst scoffed at him after the first couple weeks. They recognized the snap% and routes run, but consensus takeaway was to avoid the backfield at all costs. Meanwhile moments later, they’re suggesting 30+% FAAB bids on Devonta Freeman. It just didn’t make a ton of sense and I can see all of them being forced to change their tune now.

Spent some FAAB on him prior to the game, the volume of touches is very encouraging. Compared to the other back performances and looking at the end of the season schedule he's going to be a high waiver pick this week. 

1 hour ago, varock said:

I don’t understand. You just stated in your prior post above that Gaskins only has 1 rush inside the 5 yard line compared to 8 for Howard, then rattled off 3 plays where they gave Gaskin the ball on or inside the 5...or are we just using the actual 5 yard line as an arbitrary point to skew perception? Look, the bottom line is that a rush on or near the 5 yard line is promising usage. The fact that he’s even on the field taking snaps means that he could be involved in play-action/screen passes from that range in the future. Sure, the touchdown efficiency grows the closer you get to the end zone, and he might get vultured several more times if they get down to the 1 or 2 yard line, but it’s still promising usage on top of a nice floor of volume. The takeaway that he’s automatically out of favor in short yardage goal-line packages is misleading when you simply bring up the 8:1 “inside the 5 yard line” ratio. 

On another note, I love how he’s proving most doubters wrong. Almost every analyst scoffed at him after the first couple weeks. They recognized the snap% and routes run, but consensus takeaway was to avoid the backfield at all costs. Meanwhile moments later, they’re suggesting 30+% FAAB bids on Devonta Freeman. It just didn’t make a ton of sense and I can see all of them being forced to change their tune now.

That's just how stathead does the statistics. I mean take it up with them as to why the statistic isn't <=5 yard line and is <5. 

Anyway you look at it you have a RB splitting 50/50 'inside' the 10 and isn't used inside the 3. That's not the best for a RB on a team where he will be hard pressed to not have most game scripts go sideways on him. 

And there's nothing misleading it's simply the stat on the site for redzone rushing that I published a link for, but I know the nuance is probably lost on you.

Edited by TheDoctor

1 hour ago, afro insomniac said:

Spent some FAAB on him prior to the game, the volume of touches is very encouraging. Compared to the other back performances and looking at the end of the season schedule he's going to be a high waiver pick this week. 

I would be shocked if he's still available.  He was already a reasonable target last week.

22 minutes ago, fingers said:

Jordan Howard thru 3 games: 16 carries for 12 yards

6 Pts the past 3 weeks so at least he is consistent.