Sign in to follow this  
csv2209

2020 Buy Low/Sell High Thread

1 hour ago, MBarbarian said:

This rule has served me well: never buy injured players 

It all depends on the cost, roster depth, and perhaps most importantly, your team record, but I usually buy all the broken guys I can. Like with any trade, sometimes it blows up in my face. But more often than not I think it works well. Depending on the injury, of course. I'm not going to mess with turf toe, and hamstrings make me skittish, but I'm all for buying Thomas. 4-6 weeks is a tough pill to swallow but if you get lucky with some of the ww pickups and managed to avoid some injuries on your squad, this is a guy that can carry you through the second half and into a championship game. He was a first round pick and I see no reason he won't be playing like one when he returns. Yeah, that's a big burden but there's no chance you'd be able to grab him without the injury. 

11 hours ago, joebaker23 said:

Traded Singletary and a '21 3rd for Conner. Would that be considered buying low for Conner?

I think you over paid BIGTIME!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Got offered Christian McCaffrey for my Chris Thompson. Should I pull the trigger? 

That’s how this thread sounds.

Edited by LAeagle
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, FreakFries said:

I see what you’re saying and that could happen but high ankle sprains can ruin entire seasons. 

How confident can you be that MT is effective when he cones back? 100%? 75%?

I think this one has more to do with my lack of confidence in Conner. You are trading for someone that could be a backup at this point for a guy that, even at less than 100%, will probably still be startable. I think you have to aim higher than Conner if trading MT.

21 hours ago, CooL said:

First off, you quoted AnonymousRob who quoted me, that's my statement about Ekeler not being a SELL HIGH.  AnonymousRob is clearly on record here showing that he has a different definition of Buy Low and Sell High than the majority of the public, and apparently so do you.

So in your example, Ekeler was drafted in the first round.  He wets the bed in week 1.  Yet somehow you think somebody is going to give you a first round player for him? Somebody is going to give you CEH for him?  Please show me a league transaction where somebody will give you a first round talent for Ekeler after week 1.

You draft Ekeler in the first round.  You think his best case scenario is that he'll return third round value.  So you finagle a trade where you get a second round player in return.  That's NOT "selling high", even though you think he'll return only third round value and you managed to get a second round value in return.  Your original cost was a FIRST round pick.  Yet you're now getting a SECOND round pick.  You're not getting a return on your initial investment.  You've LOST equity.  It's not selling high.  It's called "cutting your losses".

Sheesh.  Why is this simple concept so hard to understand?!   Mind boggling.

I believe OBJ is a buy low.  He's talented and he gets targets.  If I can flip Corey Davis for him, that's a classic example of Sell High and Buy Low.

Barkley / Mixon wet the bed. Would their owners take 80 cents on the dollar? Would NO ONE trade a ,number whatever round they wee drafted, pick?

I get it. In your mind PLAYER have one bad game PLAYER loses all value. Good luck with that.

Edited by this guy right here

5 minutes ago, this guy right here said:

Barkley / Mixon wet the bed. Would their owners take 80 cents on the dollar? Would NO ONE trade a ,number whatever round they wee drafted, pick?

I get it. In your mind PLAYER have one bad game PLAYER loses all value. Good luck with that.

??? The discussion is buy low and sell high.  Not sure what at all you're talking about.  There were some posts here saying Ekeler was a sell high.  He is not.

There were a lot of panicked Chubb owners this week.  I even heard some talking heads saying they would try to ship off Chubb for whatever they could get.  That qualifies as a sell low, not a sell high.  And look, he just scored.

5 hours ago, gbill2004 said:

Anyone think Chubb is a good buy low?

He was sold for Robert Woods before the game in 1 PPR League and he was not stacked with RB. 

Buy low: Kareem Hunt

Sell High: Kareem Hunt

• Haha 2

Sell High - Odell Beckham

He just won't ever get the volume he did with Eli on this run first offense with a bunch of other weapons and Mayfield being very irratic

6 hours ago, this guy right here said:

I think people have a tendency to confuse buying low with buying for some crappy scrub who had a hot week. You can't buy those guys for Malcom Brown and Parris Campbell. If you offered the Ekeler or Mixon owner Chris Carson and a little something, that's going to get some bites in leagues, even at 90 cents on the dollar. Of course they haven't lost all value after one bad game. But they have lost some value. The further you go into a season the more a player's value will rise or fall, but it's not like there's ZERO movement after each week.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, No1Statistican said:

Sell High - Odell Beckham

He just won't ever get the volume he did with Eli on this run first offense with a bunch of other weapons and Mayfield being very irratic

Bengals awful D made mayfield look good

15 hours ago, gbill2004 said:

Anyone think Chubb is a good buy low?

Not after last night. 

3 minutes ago, The G Man said:

Not after last night. 

Exactly. Glad I bought low just before the game. 

1 minute ago, gbill2004 said:

Exactly. Glad I bought low just before the game. 

Congrats. 

What did you give up?

AJG is a buy Low right now. Targets are there. PLUS they just lost their better TE.

Taylor in Indy is a sell high for me. I know I know, he hasn't even started a game yet, but the hype is unreal. I hope I'm wrong, but I have a feeling this is gonna be real close to a 50/50 split, and Taylor will be gamescripted out because they'll be losing quite a bit. 

OBJ was mentioned but I'd unload him ASAP if I could get something decent. I just don't think you'll be able to rely on him. 

Saquon for sure if you can find an antsy owner. My guess is no, but he's just too good not to produce. 

I do like AJG as a buy (extremely) low. I actually think he's shot, but his connection with Burrow will just continue to improve and he should be looking at 150+ targets. 

Mixon would be another potential buy low, especially for someone who owned him last year as well. This offense should continue to get better, and Mixon's been bad this year just like he was for the first half last year. 

On 9/16/2020 at 10:15 PM, CooL said:

I believe OBJ is a buy low.  He's talented and he gets targets.  If I can flip Corey Davis for him, that's a classic example of Sell High and Buy Low.

Agreed that is definitely selling high and buying low, but probably no one with any FFootball savvy is going to trade away OBJ for Corey Davis. One challenge in buying low after 1 week is that the people you are trying to buy from are the people who went out of their way to draft the player you're trying to get. So you not only have to convince someone to part with OBJ after one week, but you have to convince someone who was higher on OBJ than most of the league when they drafted. Fantasy Football players do overreact a little to recency bias, but not enough to make bad trades after 1 week. It takes until about the 3rd or 4th week in the season for people to give up on the draft position where they took someone. Its hard to acquire a 3rd rounder for barely above waiver wire material after a one week sample of performances. Most FFootballers know that top players have bad weeks and so-so players blowup some weeks so its harder to exploit bad weeks of top players to part someone from a player they believed in more than the rest of the league when they drafted, than most of the suggested trades in this thread imply.  

6 minutes ago, BGDDYKWL said:

Taylor in Indy is a sell high for me. I know I know, he hasn't even started a game yet, but the hype is unreal. I hope I'm wrong, but I have a feeling this is gonna be real close to a 50/50 split, and Taylor will be gamescripted out because they'll be losing quite a bit. 

OBJ was mentioned but I'd unload him ASAP if I could get something decent. I just don't think you'll be able to rely on him. 

Saquon for sure if you can find an antsy owner. My guess is no, but he's just too good not to produce. 

I do like AJG as a buy (extremely) low. I actually think he's shot, but his connection with Burrow will just continue to improve and he should be looking at 150+ targets. 

Mixon would be another potential buy low, especially for someone who owned him last year as well. This offense should continue to get better, and Mixon's been bad this year just like he was for the first half last year. 

lol no one is selling Taylor or Saquon and nobody wants AJG or OBJ

Edited by phegotgame14
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, phegotgame14 said:

lol no one is selling Taylor or Saquon and nobody wants AJG or OBJ

I'd love to sell Taylor based on some of the offers I've seen out there. Some have been absolutely crazy IMO. 

If nobody wants AJG or OBJ that's even better if you're a buyer. If you play in anything beyond a 10-teamer both are still weekly starts. 

4 minutes ago, BGDDYKWL said:

I'd love to sell Taylor based on some of the offers I've seen out there. Some have been absolutely crazy IMO. 

If nobody wants AJG or OBJ that's even better if you're a buyer. If you play in anything beyond a 10-teamer both are still weekly starts. 

What offers have you seen for Taylor? ( I have Taylor in an auction keeper league I got for $17)

Get Scott Miller now guys! Im tellin ya!!!!

I see lots of Bengals/Browns in this thread after last nights game. 

Do any of you play in leagues where you can somehow trade players after they’ve played in a given week? I’m assuming no, because I don’t know how that would work, other than a “gentleman’s agreement” to be executed on Tuesday. I hate having to wait until Tuesday to try and trade these players, would like to strike while the iron’s hot. 

Edited by Lamont Sanford
  • Like 1