Jubanton

Week 2 injury thread

Recommended Posts

I get injuries are just part of the game.  But I just remember the old days and look, those were big bodied lineman just the same and grown men just busting each other up and Tomlinson, Smith, and so many others just season after season full 16 games...how did they all do it, I miss those days. It was so fun to lock on a rb first round knowing you got a season worth of top end rb numbers, it just sucks anymore . I can't believe barkley,  a dude with redwoods for legs just getting destroyed 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, beerfish said:

Cmac ankle injury, wtf?!?

I didn't see anything that looked horrible but he didn't play for a big chunk of the 4th.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Savatage79 said:

I get injuries are just part of the game.  But I just remember the old days and look, those were big bodied lineman just the same and grown men just busting each other up and Tomlinson, Smith, and so many others just season after season full 16 games...how did they all do it, I miss those days. It was so fun to lock on a rb first round knowing you got a season worth of top end rb numbers, it just sucks anymore . I can't believe barkley,  a dude with redwoods for legs just getting destroyed 

Stuff they're putting in the food/water these days? Workout regimens changed? Maybe more muscle isn't necessarily good?

Who knows - I'm not a physical trainer but I'm sure there are some theories out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, ColoWrex said:

I didn't see anything that looked horrible but he didn't play for a big chunk of the 4th.

Probably just a broken ankle. Not much to worry about, he'll suit up next week!

Edited by SyNdicateZ
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know I started to feel sorry for myself as a Barkley owner....

Then I realized in the last few years my first round pick has been Jamaal Charles, Leveon Bell, David Johnson......I don't know why I continue to be shocked when these 1st rounders go down for the count.

1 year seems like just enough time for me to forget and get excited for another crap shoot of a fantasy football season.

In the past I used to love playing the waiver wire and doing the dumpster diving....just don't have the desire to keep doing this anymore.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mostert is hurt for real I see....possible MCL injury

 

This really opens the door for McKinnon to take over that backfield.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, SyNdicateZ said:

welk thats not good! Whos the CUFF?

Streaming the opposing defense.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Savatage79 said:

I get injuries are just part of the game.  But I just remember the old days and look, those were big bodied lineman just the same and grown men just busting each other up and Tomlinson, Smith, and so many others just season after season full 16 games...how did they all do it, I miss those days. It was so fun to lock on a rb first round knowing you got a season worth of top end rb numbers, it just sucks anymore . I can't believe barkley,  a dude with redwoods for legs just getting destroyed 

Opioids. Lots and lots and lots of opioids. Unhealthy, addictive amounts of them, even. Also head injuries or potential head injuries were just regarded as "getting your bell rung" and they rubbed some dirt on it and pushed you back out there hoping you'd be able to produce through the fog of concussion. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, yossarian said:

Opioids. Lots and lots and lots of opioids. Unhealthy, addictive amounts of them, even. Also head injuries or potential head injuries were just regarded as "getting your bell rung" and they rubbed some dirt on it and pushed you back out there hoping you'd be able to produce through the fog of concussion. 

I remember LenDale White saying he suffered 20-30 concussions and used to pop Vicodin like skittles basically.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LionKid90 said:

Who is next man up in SF? Coleman or Jerick?

I'd much rather have McK.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LionKid90 said:

Who is next man up in SF? Coleman or Jerick?

Roger Craig?

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, yossarian said:

Opioids. Lots and lots and lots of opioids. Unhealthy, addictive amounts of them, even. Also head injuries or potential head injuries were just regarded as "getting your bell rung" and they rubbed some dirt on it and pushed you back out there hoping you'd be able to produce through the fog of concussion. 

I actually think all that stuff was more prevalent in the old days.

Theory I've had for a few years is over-training, specifically a combination of hyper specialization and development. 

These guys' physiques are extreme examples of low body fat and fast twitch muscles.  They work out to build specific muscle groups with isometric exercise.  Then think of the dietary science these dudes utilize.

As a result they're faster, quicker, stronger, and leaner than any humans that have previously existed.  But it's like German engineering - very complex and intricate.

Back in the day, players did more conventional workouts, so their whole bodies developed. And they were slower, smoked cigarettes, did yard work, and basically participated in real life normal people activities.  They were also less explosive athletes.

Now they pretty much live apart, hyper engineered and leisurely.  It makes them athletic specimens, but also more fragile.  The finer tuned a machine, the more narrow point of balance it has.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SadFaceHappy said:

I actually think all that stuff was more prevalent in the old days.

Theory I've had for a few years is over-training, specifically a combination of hyper specialization and development. 

These guys' physiques are extreme examples of low body fat and fast twitch muscles.  They work out to build specific muscle groups with isometric exercise.  Then think of the dietary science these dudes utilize.

As a result they're faster, quicker, stronger, and leaner than any humans that have previously existed.  But it's like German engineering - very complex and intricate.

Back in the day, players did more conventional workouts, so their whole bodies developed. And they were slower, smoked cigarettes, did yard work, and basically participated in real life normal people activities.  They were also less explosive athletes.

Now they pretty much live apart, hyper engineered and leisurely.  It makes them athletic specimens, but also more fragile.  The finer tuned a machine, the more narrow point of balance it has.

I feel like I read this description on an Apple product before...

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SadFaceHappy said:

I actually think all that stuff was more prevalent in the old days.

Theory I've had for a few years is over-training, specifically a combination of hyper specialization and development. 

These guys' physiques are extreme examples of low body fat and fast twitch muscles.  They work out to build specific muscle groups with isometric exercise.  Then think of the dietary science these dudes utilize.

As a result they're faster, quicker, stronger, and leaner than any humans that have previously existed.  But it's like German engineering - very complex and intricate.

Back in the day, players did more conventional workouts, so their whole bodies developed. And they were slower, smoked cigarettes, did yard work, and basically participated in real life normal people activities.  They were also less explosive athletes.

Now they pretty much live apart, hyper engineered and leisurely.  It makes them athletic specimens, but also more fragile.  The finer tuned a machine, the more narrow point of balance it has.

this is a good point. I've also read some interesting stuff about how sports-specialization at a young age is maybe leading to more injuries. It used to be that kids, especially the athletic marvels, played football, basketball, baseball, soccer, whatever when they were growing up, all through to the end of high school. now younger and younger kids are picking one sport and just doing that, year round. There's some science that doing the same thing all year wrong and not having the varied motions and strains and muscle building you get from playing multiple sports is actually harmful in the long run. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shanahan criticized the turf at Metlife(several players on both teams got hurt). Guess where the Niners are next week? Yep, Metlife again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ninersdd said:

Shanahan criticized the turf at Metlife(several players on both teams got hurt). Guess where the Niners are next week? Yep, Metlife again!

well...good news is i won't have any 49ers players starting for that game. bad news is it's because they all go injured today.  :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, yossarian said:

Opioids. Lots and lots and lots of opioids. Unhealthy, addictive amounts of them, even. Also head injuries or potential head injuries were just regarded as "getting your bell rung" and they rubbed some dirt on it and pushed you back out there hoping you'd be able to produce through the fog of concussion. 

Talking the leg issues tho,  those dudes avoided knee and leg injuries incredibly well

Edited by Savatage79

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

steroid use is partially to blame, seems like these guys are carrying too much muscle and their tendons cannot support all the mass. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dannyz6969 said:

steroid use is partially to blame, seems like these guys are carrying too much muscle and their tendons cannot support all the mass. 

 

no one's gonna cop to this, but no question it's rampant and ruinous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...