Motown_Magic

Mike Davis 2020 Outlook

23 minutes ago, mmb0163 said:

You like waiver priority over FAAB because FAAB takes “more time, more research, and more grind?” Legitimate question because I don’t understand...isn’t that what separates great fantasy managers from average fantasy managers?

I didn’t get to watch much of Davis but I’d be willing to take chance on him depending on my RB depth. However, I wouldn’t blow a ton of FAAB or a #1 waiver on him if I had decent RB depth. If I owned CMC then that might change my thoughts on that though.

Agreed, I hate rolling waivers so much. 

• Like 2

Last time I remember him playing was in '18. He filled in for Carson as the starter (21/101/2 TDs, 4 rec/23 yards [opp:ARI Cardinals]), (11/58 yards, 4 rec/22 yards/1TD

[opp:LA Rams] - Rashaad Penny was the starter)

Edited by DezedandConfused

26 minutes ago, mmb0163 said:

You like waiver priority over FAAB because FAAB takes “more time, more research, and more grind?” Legitimate question because I don’t understand...isn’t that what separates great fantasy managers from average fantasy managers?

I understand that and I agree with it. Just takes fantasy football to a whole new level and next thing you know injuries happen. So you put all this time, research and grind into something that ends up coming down to some luck. You can have the best team every week but luck is huge in fantasy football. I think waiver wire spreads out the talent more. Gives people that dont grind and research as much a chance. For the average fantasy football player, Its easier to read the top waiver wire adds and make your claim, then having to determine what % of FAAB you are going to give to each player. Think of how many people wasted time thinking about Nyheim Hines and how much FAAB to spend, now they want to drop him or will be scared to start him. Less thinking of fantasy football = less stress= being happier. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, CaliBlazer said:

I understand that and I agree with it. Just takes fantasy football to a whole new level and next thing you know injuries happen. So you put all this time, research and grind into something that ends up coming down to some luck. You can have the best team every week but luck is huge in fantasy football. I think waiver wire spreads out the talent more. Gives people that dont grind and research as much a chance. For the average fantasy football player, Its easier to read the top waiver wire adds and make your claim, then having to determine what % of FAAB you are going to give to each player. Think of how many people wasted time thinking about Nyheim Hines and how much FAAB to spend, now they want to drop him or will be scared to start him. Less thinking of fantasy football = less stress= being happier. 

I won’t disagree with you in this regard as that depends on the type of league you’re playing in. I personally prefer to play in a more competitive league where research, time and grind pay off more often than not. Luck is a part of fantasy no matter what type of league you play in, so most would say that is irrelevant. To each their own though, so nothing wrong with disagreeing in that aspect.

I apologize if I derailed the thread. Best of luck!

Edited by mmb0163
  • Like 1

Listen, we all figure out FAAB is superior at our own rate. It took my casual/home league a couple years of me beating on the door and now everyone loves it. It's all good baby.

The real question is, how much FAAB are we spending on this guy? You're looking at a RB2ish with some lumps, granted, for maybe a month. That's pretty nice to have. How bad do you need him? Are you okay with risking a lot of FAAB for the downside of his JAGishness and CMC coming back at some point? Lots to consider. I think I'll make a considerable offer but I also will not be upset if I get outbid.

1 hour ago, CaliBlazer said:

Less thinking of fantasy football = less stress= being happier. 

This logic is 100% on point. But I'm going to stay in my neurotic over-management mode. I just literally spent an hour on my baseball team and I don't even have any FAAB left. But it's also a week left and I'm 1.5 points out of first. Damn, I went cool story bro. My bad.

• Haha 2

Waiting as long as I can to put a claim in this week. I want to like McKinnon and wonder if CAR brings someone in off the street.............  

12 hours ago, WaiverLooter said:

I’d say it’s him or McKinnon. With Coleman injured, I think you might get big numbers out of McKinnon but only for 2-3 weeks as opposed to 4-6 out of Davis.

Yeah, but Davis is a JAG on an awful offense. McKinnon was signed to be Shanahan's boy toy 2 years ago. Although back from a major injury, dude has fresh legs. And he's going to be used heavily on a team that is 2nd behind only the Ravens in rushing attempts and also will be without Jimmy GQ for a bit. Nobody knows when Mostert and Coleman will be back, and until BOTH are back, I see the Jet being the higher value pickup here.

• Like 3

Mostert will be back very soon. Not worth a waiver pick over Davis

• Like 2

11 hours ago, aapox said:

Listen, we all figure out FAAB is superior at our own rate. It took my casual/home league a couple years of me beating on the door and now everyone loves it. It's all good baby.

The real question is, how much FAAB are we spending on this guy? You're looking at a RB2ish with some lumps, granted, for maybe a month. That's pretty nice to have. How bad do you need him? Are you okay with risking a lot of FAAB for the downside of his JAGishness and CMC coming back at some point? Lots to consider. I think I'll make a considerable offer but I also will not be upset if I get outbid.

I’m not crazy about Davis but looking at his career stats it looks like he does catch passes. That’s a big plus even for a JAG in non ppr. He won’t be as effective, but if he fills the CMC role he should be a solid flex/LowRB2. 

I don’t see a very good ceiling here though. Not sure I want to blow FAAB on a strong flex. I feel like you can find one of those a lot of weeks on the WW. 

Edited by FreakFries
  • Like 1

It’s all about volume and Davis will get plenty. With so many injuries he will be a great RB2 or Flex. In PPR his floor is double digits.

Just now, affliction said:

It’s all about volume and Davis will get plenty. With so many injuries he will be a great RB2 or Flex. In PPR his floor is double digits.

yeah, i can see this. 

i still think they work Samuel in a bit, as well ... but ol' doctor here can thrive off them Bilgewater check downs - tough spot vs the Bolts, but they may be in for a yuuuuge letdown after leaving it all on the field vs 'Homie, then their numb nutz coach coming out and chucking the kid Herbert under the bus, ergo deflecting from his pussy azz punt in OT. 

it's doable.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

yeah, i can see this. 

i still think they work Samuel in a bit, as well ... but ol' doctor here can thrive off them Bilgewater check downs - tough spot vs the Bolts, but they may be in for a yuuuuge letdown after leaving it all on the field vs 'Homie, then their numb nutz coach coming out and chucking the kid Herbert under the bus, ergo deflecting from his pussy azz punt in OT. 

it's doable.

What?

• Haha 3

Mike Davis has actually been pretty damn good when he has a full workload so not sure what the hate is all about. The Panthers have dubbed him a 'dual-threat' RB and the backup to CMC after a strong training camp. CMC owners should make him a top priority waiver add. Even trade for him if you can because if CMC comes back too early he has a chance of re-injury. Davis' pass catching ability makes him one of the better handcuffs to own at this point.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2020 at 2:03 PM, bounce said:

At this point, it's just about finding guys who are in line to receive volume.   Davis is.   If you have the depth to withstand losing someone like CMC, I get it - but I'll take anyone who is going to get PT this week. 

My starting backfield is now, for the foreseeable future, Michel and Gaskin.  I'm throwing a ton down on him because I have no better options....

• Like 1

On 9/21/2020 at 11:10 PM, CaliBlazer said:

The thing that sucks about waivers is that players who need a particular FA the most might have the lowest chance to get him.

Take for example my position right now. Lost Saquon, have 3 RBs on roster and desperately need to add someone like Kelley or McKinnon. But I have waiver priority #9, so I had 0% chance to even get a spare like Freeman. At 0-2, I'm basically toast.

With FAAB I probably would have gotten Kelley or McKinnon or Davis and had a chance to at least stay afloat with them, or trade them. Instead, my a**hole league mates snatched those guys up even though they don't need them. 

Edited by Drewfus
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, KidDynamite420 said:

Mike Davis has actually been pretty damn good when he has a full workload so not sure what the hate is all about. The Panthers have dubbed him a 'dual-threat' RB and the backup to CMC after a strong training camp. CMC owners should make him a top priority waiver add. Even trade for him if you can because if CMC comes back too early he has a chance of re-injury. Davis' pass catching ability makes him one of the better handcuffs to own at this point.

Agreed. His offseason and how much praise he got + the confidence they have shown in making him the clear and only backup on gamedays gives me a little more comfort. I used my #1 claim on him (then traded for CMC). 

Unless you're down to shot-in-the-dark rb depth, is it a wait and see type of week for him? Obviously the touches and efficiency will be a fraction of CMC's. I'd just like to see how he performs and how they use him vs LAC before rolling him out there. Obviously not everyone would have that luxury at this point but

I'm not sure why it's unreasonable to expect he should get 15 touches with an outside chance for 20. That's playable in pretty much any league for the next few weeks.

3 minutes ago, BigNicc said:

Unless you're down to shot-in-the-dark rb depth, is it a wait and see type of week for him? Obviously the touches and efficiency will be a fraction of CMC's. I'd just like to see how he performs and how they use him vs LAC before rolling him out there. Obviously not everyone would have that luxury at this point but

Start your studs (Now Davis)

Man, I just dropped 45% FAAB on him in a super competitive 12 team league. Commish just said in the group chat next closest bid was 10%. Am I being trolled or did I make a mistake? Lmao. 

12 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

Man, I just dropped 45% FAAB on him in a super competitive 12 team league. Commish just said in the group chat next closest bid was 10%. Am I being trolled or did I make a mistake? Lmao. 

I got him at $49 out of $100 in the bank in a 12 team PPR, next highest was $41, $38, $36. I hated spending that much but clearly i wasnt too far off. If he can perform as a mid RB2 with 15-17 touches a game I will take it until CMac returns. Hoping the receptions help his floor. This is not a layup by any means, though. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, BigNicc said:

Probably a top 25 RB option this week, so I'd say you're most likely starting him at RB2 or flex, unless you're lucky enough to have depth and weren't affected by injuries

3 hours ago, '71 Bucks said:

Agreed. His offseason and how much praise he got + the confidence they have shown in making him the clear and only backup on gamedays gives me a little more comfort. I used my #1 claim on him (then traded for CMC). 

You traded who for CMC? Davis😂

26 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

I got him at $53 (out of $100) in 12 team dynasty (we roster 19 and have 4 IR spots) and next bids were $40, $25, $24, $20.