Nexrus

Podcast Suggestions?

Reviving this thread as I have been frustrated listening to SiriusXM fantasy sports channel lately.

My morning commute with "The Jeff Ratcliffe show" is awesome.  I find him insightful and lots of great analysis and suggestions.

My afternoon commute unfortunately has become "Fantasy Dirt" with the short man Michael Fabiano.  He is awful.  I think I used to commute during Fantasy Alarm with Howard Bender.  He is a little obnoxious, but I loved the relationship between him and the GM Jim Bowden.  But Fabiano?  He's idiotic.  Why first did he leave the NFL Network?  Was he fired?  All he does is regurgitate the obvious, and he talks WAY TOO MUCH about his fantasy teams and his leagues.  Sometimes the show is just him and talking to some C list celeb that is in one of his leagues, and they just talk about the week's matchup, close calls, roster moves, etc.  Hey Fabs - NOBODY CARES about your fantasy team!

I've caught Fantasy Footballers before and I agree that it is entertaining.  Unfortunately not during my commuting times.  I think I might have to start streaming through the app instead of the radio.

• Like 1

FantasyFootballers is the best listen, and FootballGuys have great info. I second the Dr Gene Bramel endorsement. 

Living the Stream is good grist for the mill and they can make you laugh. Too much poop humor the last couple of seasons though.  

The Pat Mayo Experience is thorough, but he’s Canadian, so it’s a bit oddball. 

I like Fitz on Fantasy a lot. He’s knowledgeable, he has good guests, and he’s humble and soft spoken, which is nice. 

Fantasy Footballers is my favorite. If they’re not on during your commute, download a podcast app and listen to them on that. They’re fun to listen to, but I also like the information they offer and the segments they have. 

• Like 1

Second for the FantasyFootballers although I don’t think anyone has pointed out that 2 of the 3 usually rank very high in accuracy each year.  

Second FantasyPros as well.  Tags really does his homework.

glta

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BigBlueMachine said:

Second for the FantasyFootballers although I don’t think anyone has pointed out that 2 of the 3 usually rank very high in accuracy each year.  

glta

Good point on the Fantasy Footballers. My one “complaint” is that they seem more geared towards shallow redrafts. Their waiver wire shows are virtually useless for me in my two leagues. But otherwise, good info and insights, and they’re fun to listen to. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm going to be starting a podcast along with @DerrickHenrysCleats next week, "The Al-Al Hour," so named because he's going to be a homer for Bama alums and I'm going to flak for Alshon because "this is his week, I swear."  Look for it next Monday!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BigBlueMachine said:

glta

Coincidentally those two guys on FFBallers are the two guys I like on the show, especially Jason Moore. Check out their Halloween episode on YouTube if you want to see him dressed up as Rodrigo Blankenship.

Edited by Vendetta
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

IMO, the CBS Fantasy Football Today crew is by far the most entertaining to listen to.  They have a great dynamic, and Adam Aizer does an amazing job facilitating the podcast.  That being said, it’s apparent sometimes that they haven’t really done their homework.  I just love hearing Dave Richard & Jamey Eisenberg go back and forth, and Heath rip on Adam the entire time.

Now that they got rid of the AWFUL Bobby Sylvester, the other podcast I listen to is FantasyPros. I used to love Tagliere, but I feel like he’s slipping lately... he’s WAYYY too biased with his opinions on a player.  Sometimes I find myself shaking my head, saying “Huh?” That being said, Tagliere does awesome homework, and he’s always prepared.

I know I’m in the minority, but I’m not a big fan of the Fantasy Footballers. I find their voices and schtick obnoxious.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, candygram4mongo said:

The Pat Mayo Experience is thorough, but he’s Canadian, so it’s a bit oddball. 

image.jpeg.d4e69091943ae56a5850832dbc69c7f2.jpeg

• Like 1

If you're looking for a more up and coming show I really like the Don Juan's of Dynasty. Their podcast is more heavily tilted towards Dynasty Leagues but their insight is really helpful even in redraft if you're looking for 2021 players that are likely to have value spikes. They also still review week to week trends as well and how it's affecting player value. Overall I find it to be a good listen.

Their most recent episode takes around 15 players and discusses if luck, situation or skill is causing them to produce or not produce. For example is JT not producing because of skill or is there something more there. Here's the most recent episode https://open.spotify.com/episode/6vn7UrIvyKtHrFdFGKgQGV?si=wClbWtMvQCqyhABFMN0wRw

Great post. Here’s my power rankings:

Fantasy Footballers — Funny AF, moderate level content, but I always laugh and learn something and generally feel good about playing fantasy after listening. 

CBS - same as above, maybe slightly not as funny or as solid of content, but I love the dynamic and range of the personalities. However, minus points for not holding Ben Gretch who was a sorely needed fresh voice in the room. I genuinely think the analysis is pretty weak here but I love the guys.  

Rotoworld - Less entertaining but still enjoyable, I think I always learn a couple things from this pod and laugh a little bit, too. RotoPat is hilarious, and Daigle and Winks are solid. 

Fantasypros - Bobby is gone, we can all agree that helps, but what it did for me is made Tags so much more annoying now that he’s not being compared relative to Bobby. Dude, get off your micro/passive aggressive high horse takes that pop up once or twice every episode and go back to having fun doing what you do. I do like Harris, though, and I really like Yates. 

The Audible - new to this, but it’s growing on me. It’s not as fun as the top 3, but it’s enjoyable to listen to and will definitely give you some things you might not pick up elsewhere 

Espn - ugh, how the mighty have fallen...  entertainment only and even then how much is left?

Other:

yahoo - who cares? Don’t even listen anymore 

4x4 with JJZ - heard great things just haven’t listen - this is a no nonsense content giver (which is not my style, I want entertainment)

• Like 1

I used to listen to the Fantasy Focus podcast but listening to Matthew Berry proved to be more than I could stand. One thing that just kept rubbing me the wrong way is the man is apparently incapable of properly pronouncing the word literally. He says it without pronouncing the "R" in it. He says it like "littily" (sounds like Italy with an L). He also uses the word "like" ALL. THE. TIME. It's "like" listening to a teenager. So irritating. He's also constantly talking over and interrupting others, and thinks he knows more than anyone else. He also thinks he's some sort of stand-up comic. He's not funny, at all. And, the thing about him is I go WAAAY back with him when he was just a fantasy writer (i.e., The Talented Mr. Roto), and really enjoyed reading his articles. I found them not only insightful, but also well written and at times both humorous and even poignant. He should've stuck to writing IMO.

As for the Fantasy Footballers, I only discovered them last year. I really like their show and think it's both entertaining and at times also insightful. That said, I agree with others that say while they listen, they form they're own opinions. The thing about any podcast or fantasy show IMO is they typically base their information and recommendations on shallower leagues. I play in a deep league with very savvy owners, so quite often their recommendations of players to pick-up for example are players that were either drafted, or snatched off the WW a weeks before they become the hot pick-up. Still, I like them. If I had to pick one of them that I think is the most knowledgeable though, I think it's Mike The Hitman Wright. He's usually spot on IMO. 

I will have to check out some of the other podcasts that have been mentioned because while I've been doing this for a very long time, I guess I'm a noob when it comes to all that. 

Sorry for the long winded post BTW.   

Edited by The G Man
  • Like 1

I have a few I like to listen to...In no particular order...

1. The Podfather
2. BDGE Nick Ercolano
3. Late Round QB (Mostly just the 15 transaction episode)
4. Fantasy Footballers (but mostly just for entertainment purposes, I don't find their knowledge all that great)
5. Fantasy Football Today (But like FFBallers, I don't take what they say to seriously, I find Dave Richard to be kind of a moron and Heath and Jamie seem like egotistical A-Holes. Could be wrong, just the vibe I get from them.) 

Edited by GurleyTHIRTY
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GurleyTHIRTY said:

1. The Podfather
2. BDGE Nick Ercolano
4. Fantasy Footballers (but mostly just for entertainment purposes, I don't find their knowledge all that great)
5. Fantasy Football Today (But like FFBallers, I don't take what they say to seriously, I find Dave Richard to be kind of a moron and Heath and Jamie seem like egotistical A-Holes. Could be wrong, just the vibe I get from them.) 

Yeah not enough people are talking about The Podfather. Matt Kelley clearly does his homework and is an eccentric podcast host. 

• Like 1

These lists have some good ones, thanks for sharing y'all! What are peoples thoughts on the Dynasty Nerds? I feel like they sometimes have a really hard time moving off their initial evals. They were smitten with Dobbins and have not adjusted their rookie rb ranks to reflect how good Swift has been whatsoever.

First time I have seen this thread.  I listen to a lot of podcasts.

CBS has the best combination of information and entertainment.  Definitely listen to Eisenberg's takes.

A lot of hate for ESPN here.  Yes a lot of fluff.  However, whenever Mike Clay is on take note.  He knows his stuff and I would pay money to hear his information.  Stephania helps with injury info.

I like Cecil Lammey and Sigmund Bloom on The Audible.

One podcast that hasn't been mentioned here is In This League.  Not as informative as the others but may be the most entertaining.  Check it out

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/in-this-league-fantasy-football/id994353832

Agree on Mike Clay, used to hear him when he would come on with the FantasyGuru John Hansen on SiriusXM. Smart, analytical, and insightful. 

Will continue to pound the table for how bad Michael Fabiano is. So awful. Today he was talking about Taysom Hill ad nauseum. Enough. 

I’m glad to see this thread getting so much attention and positive replies. I’ve tried several of the podcasts suggested but I keep going back to FFBallers and FantasyPros. Maybe because that’s what I cut my teeth on? I’ve also added The Podfather and In this League to my list. Looking forward to giving them a try.  

19 hours ago, Dr. Strangeglove said:

I like Cecil Lammey and Sigmund Bloom on The Audible.

The only guys who said earlier in the week that Taysom was the pickup ahead of Winston

• Thanks 1

I find fantasy footballers very superficial, talking for minutes on an irrelevant player but never address the players you want them to talk about. Also they never give a firm opinion. You listen the podcast but get nothing out of it. It is fun  but useless. Cbs is the best imho. They could be wrong but at least have an opinion and explain their point of view. Adam aizer is doing a great job asking the right questions and being entertaining at the same time

Mines CBS.  Easy listening, consistent, they even throw out bonus short pods as news breaks throughout the day.  Adams the best...just the right amount of humor and off topic stuff, while keeping the show on track.  Been listening for 7-8 years, ever since starting fantasy sports, and I give a fair amount of credit for a couple of chips to them.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2020 at 8:23 AM, GurleyTHIRTY said:

1. The Podfather
2. BDGE Nick Ercolano

Second this. Depends what kind of league you’re in. If your in a semi-competitive league the footballers n cbs is all you need. Footballers n cbs is generic espn stuff. If you’re in a competitive league Podfather and JJ is solid and next level. He’s not always right but his process is good.