Sign in to follow this  
KCTD25

Jalen Hurts 2020 Outlook

5 minutes ago, devaster said:

Because Howie is an idiot and bought into the media dubbing the Eagles as a QB factory. They traded Kolb, Foles, and Bradford successfully. They might have something in Sudfeld as well. There is no concern about Jalen overtaking Wentz for the next couple years barring injury.

Same reason the Jets went after Tebow yrs ago.....they fell in love with his athleticism and view him as a weapon like the Saints have in Hill.....also it would be insurance if Wentz got hurt....but I have to believe he was not taken to challenge him for the job in the 1st 3 yrs in any way - way overpay for that.....

31 minutes ago, Big Tuna said:

Cap hit to cut Wentz is about $100M over the next 3 yrs......that will give him a lot of leeway.......

I don't think anyone is suggesting the Eagles cut Carson Wentz. At least, not yet - they do have an out in 2022 that can save the team $22 Million.

The Eagles could choose to trade Wentz after this year. They are projected to be $84.9 million over the salary cap in 2021. Trading Wentz would lower that number to $84 million. This would increase their cap space in 2022 and 2023 by $31 million and $35 million, respectively. Wentz's base salary for his new team would look like:

2021: $15.4 million

2022: $22 million

2023: $20 million

2024: $21 million

That's pretty reasonable for a starting QB, and he wouldn't really have any power to negotiate for more. Frank Reich and the Colts could be interested. Reich coached Wentz to his best season in 2017.

If a draft pick or two was sent to the Eagles, they could justify the $33 million in dead money as money spent toward "buying" those draft picks. And with Hurts making only $1.5 million, the QB room total would not be unreasonable in the short term, and extremely inexpensive in the long term.

For now, it's best they allow Wentz to work through his issues and hopefully increase his trade value. My guess is Pederson is fired after this year, if not sooner. New management will likely want to rebuild with "their guys" and cap space, so Wentz could be out.

The Eagles, with a high 2021 draft pick, could double down and take another young and inexpensive QB. If it were me, this is what I would do. Best case scenario, Jalen Hurts shows us something in 2020 and that pick can be used in another area. All the more reason to play Hurts at some point and find out what you have. Hell, doing so could even save Pederson's job 🤷‍♂️

There is a reason why they drafted Jalen Hurts.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MrCantaloupe said:

Good analysis, buffalo 🐃

Looking further down the road, there are a lot of potential shootouts for the Eagles:

Week 12: Seahawks (MNF)

Week 13: @Packers

Week 14: Saints

Week 15: @Cardinals

Week 16: @Cowboys

But the Eagles will be bringing knives to these shootouts

16 minutes ago, MrCantaloupe said:

There is a reason why they drafted Jalen Hurts.

Same reason they drafted Arcega-whiteside over DK Metcalf. And the list goes on. Howie is an idiot in the front office.

Eagles are not going to be trading Wentz.  They have hitched their wagon to him.

I wish the Cowboys traded for him...

Wentz is doing a good job impersonating James Winston-19.

Wentz has actually looked better last 2 weeks - Hurts is going to be a gimmick guy like the Saints employ...way too little use from where he was picked.  

With Wentz leading the NFL in turnovers, philly coaching staff may make the switch to Hurts yet this season.

Considering how mobile he is and the upside here... I think I’ll take the speculative add here.

Yes, please put this clown in so he can get destroyed. He's not NFL QB material. He'll run until he lands on IR. 

3 hours ago, FavreCo said:

Yes, please put this clown in so he can get destroyed. He's not NFL QB material. He'll run until he lands on IR. 

Spoken like the real Brett Favre.. think he won't be any good? Seems like he has some traits, that might be useful 

Might add this guy in a couple of super deep 2QB leagues just on pure speculation. Given that their next 4 opponents are non-NFC teams (hawks, packers, cards, saints), not sure how long Doug can watch the season slip away and convince people that Wentz is good without trying something else out. 

Edited by Gfycat

I wouldn't rule out seeing Hurts start next week. Wentz puts up another horrific game against a once terrible, now bad Seattle defense, and you have more than enough justification to bench Wentz. 

2 minutes ago, BGDDYKWL said:

I wouldn't rule out seeing Hurts start next week. Wentz puts up another horrific game against a once terrible, now bad Seattle defense, and you have more than enough justification to bench Wentz. 

He doesnt really need to be horrific. Another Eagles loss and they could be 3rd place in the division. A change up at QB might be the spark they need.

• Like 1

I think he’s saying if Carson Wentz plays terrible again and turns it over multiple times, we’ll see Hurts in week 13 or the 2nd half of Monday night’s game.

This isn't gonna end well, but now it is definitely time to jump ship from Wentz at least from any fantasy perspective. Irl, I don't know, they are just going to toss some gimmick gadget plays for him that will have a 10% chance to actually work. 

On 9/26/2020 at 11:09 AM, sSektor said:

Wentz is getting paid over 30 mil a year and 100 mil guaranteed. The only way he's sitting is if he's injured. Doug Pederson and the offensive coordinator would get fired before Wentz got benched.

Nobody wants to admit they threw this much money at an experiment gone horribly wrong. But somehow, PHI is still in the division hunt due to just how terrible the NFC East is. Coaches keep their jobs by winning, period. If Hurts gives them their best shot at winning, then Hurts should be the starter. Now, that's not to say what will happen, just to say what should happen.

Edit to add: And I'm not saying Hurts gives them a better chance than Wentz, I admittedly don't know a lot about Hurts. But if he was better than Wentz, then he should be playing.

Edited by JAG_challam

5 minutes ago, owenmills said:

Can this guy throw? 

Yeah, he gets way more hate then he should. He 100% needs to develop more, but he’s athletic with a nice arm and he’s super accurate. I think at this point it’s just gonna be the mental aspect and how far along he is. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, owenmills said:

Can this guy throw? 

No. He totally sucks. You put a clown like this behind a really bad OL and its always a disaster. See the now sucky Lamar jackson. He will do a lot of drop back and run.