NoHablaIngles

2021 First Round Players

Recommended Posts

For all my other fellow eliminated managers, I thought it’d be fun and helpful to take a look at next years projected first round. (5x5)
 

Here is my take:

 

  1. Ronald Acuna
  2. Mike Trout
  3. Mookie Betts
  4. Trea Turner
  5. Fernando Tatis Jr.
  6. Jacob deGrom
  7. Juan Soto
  8. Shane Bieber
  9. Trevor Story
  10. Christian Yelich
  11. Cody Bellinger
  12. Freddie Freeman
  13. Bo Bichette
  14. Gerrit Cole
  15. Jose Ramirez

 

Honorable Mentions: Bryce Harper, Manny Machado, Alex Bregman, Rafael Devers, Francisco Lindor

 

What does your projected first round look like? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the aggressive ranking of Bichette. I figured I’d be the high person on him next year, but you’ve got me beat. 

Here’s my top 12:

1. Acuna

2. Betts

3. Soto

4. Tatis

5. Turner

6. Story

7. Trout

8. Ramirez 

9. Bieber

10. deGrom

11. Cole

12. Yelich 

The top 7 for next year look loaded. You could make a compelling case for any of them to go #1 overall. It’s hard to put Trout so low, but he gets dinged by the lack of steals.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, meh2 said:

 The top 7 for next year look loaded. You could make a compelling case for any of them to go #1 overall. It’s hard to put Trout so low, but he gets dinged by the lack of steals.

 

100% agree. I think deGrom may get taken #1 overall in some drafts too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yellich and Bellinger 2nd round.  Machado and Harper slide in at bottom.

Otherwise that is what I have.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bichette seems like a reach for what essentially was a hot start to the season and then a prolonged injury

Edited by UberRebel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Acuna has really shown me a lot in the last month. I think I've turned on him and am ready to put him in my top 3 for next season as of today.  

The four for me are probably Tatis, Betts, Acuna (in some order), and then Soto. Soto is a great hitter, but the first three are surrounded by really strong lineups.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would take Soto #1 in my OBP league. Or actually any league. Pro rated his numbers would be insane. 300 runs + RBI. 50+ homers. 20+ steals. Monster BA. Other than that it's hard to bicker about placement in the top 10 since so many guys are so close to one another.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, UberRebel said:

Bichette seems like a reach for what essentially was a hot start to the season and then a prolonged injury

 

Based on his career stats to date, he's on a full season pace to put up 35 HRs with 18 Steals and a .310 batting average with elite run and rbi production on that deep jays line-up. That is easily a first rounder. Not to mention the fact that he's 22 and only going to get better.

He went 10th overall in a recent 2021 mock draft done by the fellas at nasty cast (and reputable fantasy analysts like Eric cross and Chris Clegg). https://www.spreaker.com/user/12828472/ep-240-2021-mock-draft

I think if he had a full-season without the injury, we'd be talking about him in the same conversation with Tatis

 

 

Edited by NoHablaIngles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I probably go:

 

1. Acuña

2. Trout

3. Soto 

4/5/6: Some combo of Tatis/Ramirez/Betts

7. Story 

8. Turner 

9/10/11/12/13: Some combo of Bellinger, Yelich, DeGrom, Cole, Bieber 

 

1-8 are the premier hitters with steals minus Soto and Trout who are generational hitters.  (And Soto might even get 20 steals, he said he was aiming for that).  I wouldn’t blame anyone for taking Soto #2 over Trout but I just have a little more confidence in Trout’s power.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, NoHablaIngles said:

 

Based on his career stats to date, he's on a full season pace to put up 35 HRs with 18 Steals and a .310 batting average with elite run and rbi production on that deep jays line-up. That is easily a first rounder. Not to mention the fact that he's 22 and only going to get better.

He went 10th overall in a recent 2021 mock draft done by the fellas at nasty cast (and reputable fantasy analysts like Eric cross and Chris Clegg). https://www.spreaker.com/user/12828472/ep-240-2021-mock-draft

I think if he had a full-season without the injury, we'd be talking about him in the same conversation with Tatis

 

 


So you’re saying he hasn’t yet posted a full season of first round stats.
 

Pump the brakes. Guy has potential but has played less than 80 MLB games so far in his career. You could make the case he really hasn’t even had enough PAs for scouts and pitchers to find and exploit his weaknesses.
 

Let him put together a full season first. First round is for guys that have proven it over at least a full season. None of this extrapolation stuff is justification to take a player over guys who have already done it.

 

 

Edited by UberRebel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, UberRebel said:


So you’re saying he hasn’t yet posted a full season of first round stats.
 

Pump the brakes. Guy has potential but has played less than 100 MLB games so far in his career. Let him put together a full season first. First round is for guys that have proven it over at least a full season. None of this extrapolation stuff is justification to take a player over guys who have already done it.

 

 

 

You realize Tatis hasn't yet posted a full season of stats either, right?

And going into this season he was a top 15ish guy with less than 100 games played.

My rationale is simple, I see a potential #1 overall type player with a pretty safe floor given all the available data. I'll take that all day with a top 15 pick; and again, in a experts mock draft, he was taken 10th overall... so I may not even get him at that price.

Edited by NoHablaIngles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NoHablaIngles said:

 

You realize Tatis hasn't yet posted a full season of stats either, right?

And going into this season he was a top 15ish guy with less than 100 games played.

 


1. Tatis has played roughly twice as many MLB games a Bichette in his career to date

 

2. Tatis is a generational talent. Bichette is talented but not Tatis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, B&F said:

Yellich and Bellinger 2nd round.  Machado and Harper slide in at bottom.

Otherwise that is what I have.

 

 

This is the type of overreaction to a 60 game sample size I was hoping to see. Hoping my leaguemates do the same. Can’t wait to capitalize! 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, UberRebel said:


1. Tatis has played roughly twice as many MLB games a Bichette in his career to date

 

2. Tatis is a generational talent. Bichette is talented but not Tatis


1. So what? 
 

2. Based on what? Media hyperbole and narrative? Comparable major league numbers. And Bichettes minor league resume is better. 

 

Don’t misconstrue this as a Tatis slander post, because it’s not. He’s awesome a deserves to be a top-5 pick. 

Edited by NoHablaIngles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

Bichette isn’t a first rounder lol 

Agreed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

This is the type of overreaction to a 60 game sample size I was hoping to see. Hoping my leaguemates do the same. Can’t wait to capitalize! 

 

I would be afraid to take them in the early first round.  Late first round or early second round I would be willing to take the risk, probably, especially with Yelich.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, NoHablaIngles said:


1. So what? 
 

2. Based on what? Media hyperbole and narrative? Comparable major league numbers. And Bichettes minor league resume is better. 

 

Don’t misconstrue this as a Tatis slander post, because it’s not. He’s awesome a deserves to be a top-5 pick. 

 

Ok, I'm done here. If you're going to try to argue

 

"Tatis is a first rounder having only played 141 total MLB career games so Bo Bichette having played half as many games deserves that too because Tatis isn't as good as he as being hyped up to be"

 

then I have no interest in that dialogue because it's silly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I

2 minutes ago, UberRebel said:

 

Ok, I'm done here. If you're going to try to argue

 

"Tatis is a first rounder having only played 141 total MLB career games so Bo Bichette having played half as many games deserves that too because Tatis isn't as good as he as being hyped up to be"

 

then I have no interest in that dialogue because it's silly.

 

I too have no interest in engaging in dialogue where you backtrack on your points and then conflate two different statements to paint a false picture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, NoHablaIngles said:

 

2. Based on what? Media hyperbole and narrative? Comparable major league numbers. And Bichettes minor league resume is better. 

 

Don’t misconstrue this as a Tatis slander post, because it’s not. He’s awesome a deserves to be a top-5 pick. 

 

Btw, Tatis is considered by experts and scouts as a generational talent because he's faster, stronger, hits the ball harder, and has had more on-field success at his age than just about every other MLB player ever. Seriously. Do a Google search. Bichette is not the same age as Tatis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How can Tatis be a generational talent when two of his peers are better than him?

stop introducing irrelevant white noise to the discussion. And things I didn't say.

But whatever, you don't think bichettes a first rounder, I do.

Agree to disagree

Edited by NoHablaIngles
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

 

I would be afraid to take them in the early first round.  Late first round or early second round I would be willing to take the risk, probably, especially with Yelich.  

Yes I think both go 7-12. Both great talents. While Yelich may feel a little safer, I think the Dodgers lineup makes up for it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NoHablaIngles said:

I

 

I too have no interest in engaging in dialogue where you backtrack on your points and then conflate two different statements to paint a false picture.

 

I said "First round is for guys that have proven it over at least a full season." I should not have been so literal

 

141 games for Tatis may not be a full season but that's pretty damn close and much more of a track record than 74 games played in Bichette's career counting today

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Backdoor Slider said:

Yes I think both go 7-12. Both great talents. While Yelich may feel a little safer, I think the Dodgers lineup makes up for it. 

 

I think people are forgetting Yelich is coming off Knee surgery. I think he will come back strong next year. Bellinger, I too am less confident but he's still a worthy first round talent in my opinion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.