Rotoworld.com Forums

2021 First Round Players

2 hours ago, AnonymousRob said:

I can see a serious argument for taking Betts, Acuna, Soto ahead of him. I don't think I would rank them in that order, but I don't know I would fight it too much if someone else ranked them that way. Then there's always the hype on a Bellinger or some other guy that ends up jumping into the upper tier. Then there's always the owner who takes a deGrom or other top arm. As crazy as it sounds, I can see Trout consistently falling out of the top five.

I like Betts a lot as a player, even before he became a Dodger, but I feel like he swings from top 3 ADP to back end 1st rounder every year. I think I would much rather have Trout's consistency. Plus batting leadof (god forbid the take away NL DH), and you're really in a position to forfeit some RBIs.  Only saving grace is his steals.  I feel like he just doesn't want to steal as much in the regular season for injury risk or whatever.  I think taking so many people in front of Trout is overthinking, i really don't want to take 1 player over him honestly. I see the upside with steals, but Mike Trout man.

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Early indications are I will be ALL OVER Trout this year, crazy you could actually get him without a top 3-5 pick in 2021

Wow this is a terrible take. His first year he came up and hit 39 HR in just 132 games with a .933 OPS. He was incredible. His second year in 2018 was disappointing from a fantasy perspective, bu

Gausman

3 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

I like Betts a lot as a player, even before he became a Dodger, but I feel like he swings from top 3 ADP to back end 1st rounder every year. I think I would much rather have Trout's consistency. Plus batting leadof (god forbid the take away NL DH), and you're really in a position to forfeit some RBIs.  Only saving grace is his steals.  I feel like he just doesn't want to steal as much in the regular season for injury risk or whatever.  I think taking so many people in front of Trout is overthinking, i really don't want to take 1 player over him honestly. I see the upside with steals, but Mike Trout man.

Who are you and what have you done with Brock???

4 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

On 9/30/2020 at 8:49 PM, AnonymousRob said:

I don't want to put Trout #1, but I'm not so sure he shouldn't be, either. Every single year there's a contender or three trying to push him off the throne, and every single year he finishes at or near the top. Sure, steals are a huge question these days as he probably won't get more than a handful, but he's as sure a thing as any player can possibly get.

Oh I'm definitely in on Trout needing to rank higher. I was talking about it earlier this thread. I'm just saying I can't argue against someone too much if they don't want to take him in the top spot. It's still too early for me to have solidified my positions, but I think I'm still going to rank Trout at or near the top. But as of right now I can see a very plausible argument for someone taking one of the other top names above him. I think there might be a lot of leagues where he falls out of the top 5. 

11 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

I don't think I've preferred Betts over Trout in any year ever. 

That wasn't the comment that sounded funny.  Mentioning Betts swings into a back end of the first rounder and mentioning that him batting first costs him RBI's was the sounding funny.  (Because these were exactly my points in previous years as you blasted me for it).

42 minutes ago, KingJoffrey said:

That wasn't the comment that sounded funny.  Mentioning Betts swings into a back end of the first rounder and mentioning that him batting first costs him RBI's was the sounding funny.  (Because these were exactly my points in previous years as you blasted me for it).

In the Betts thread in 2017-2018 (before the 2018 season), your original point was Trout outperformed Betts and is better and I agreed with you  THEN that Trout was basically the GOAT. I sarcastically said "This Trout kid may have a future".  I think the ADP the year before they were neck and neck.

We then went back and forth and you eventually said  "Betts is an end of round 1 player at best." after poo pooing him for multiple pages.  Betts ended up winning MVP and was the #1 fantasy player that year.

Three years later my position (and there's no harm in changing your position with additional information), is the same.   I'd prefer Trout to Betts, and both are obviously first round players.  Betts is probably top 5 for me, I haven't really thought about it too hard yet, I don't play in much redraft these days. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if either was better this next year.  If Betts steals 20+ and Trout steals 0-2, that would  be significant.

Trout is arguably the GOAT, still in his 20s.  I rather just take him and put my energy into picking the right 2nd/3rd round picks. Trout will obviously be great, if you nail those two picks you, you have a good shot at placing. Just my strategy. So yeah, the RBI thing is one of many reasons to pick Trout over Betts, a position I have never wavered on, including when it would have been wrong in 2018.  

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Haha 1

Trout is still the best player in the game imo. I wouldn't begrudge anyone for preferring Betts at this point though. For fantasy, I think Betts is the clear superior asset simply due to speed and the offense around him. The second point may change if the there is no universal DH next year.

• Like 2

Nelson Cruz still can't get no respect. he's the Rodney Dangerfield of Fantasy baseball.  Going at 70th overall?  He's been like an MVP candidate the past 2 seasons and has 7 consecutive seasons of around 40 Hrs and only 1 of those years he didn't have a good batting average.  I get that he's a little long in the tooth.  But he's not a 70th type of pick.  he's way more consistent than any player that's been drafted around him and for an old guy he's been the least injury prone.

• Thanks 1

Nelson Cruz still can't get no respect. he's the Rodney Dangerfield of Fantasy baseball.  Going at 70th overall?  He's been like an MVP candidate the past 2 seasons and has 7 consecutive seasons of around 40 Hrs and only 1 of those years he didn't have a good batting average.  I get that he's a little long in the tooth.  But he's not a 70th type of pick.  he's way more consistent than any player that's been drafted around him and for an old guy he's been the least injury prone.

He has 3 strikes against him, he's old, he's injury prone, and he is a DH, 70 sound about right to me. Just my opinion.

League format dependent, but in nffc roto (no trades) I don't like clogging the lone util spot unless it is a total bargain but that is just me. If i played in other settings I would agree completely.

1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

They have been the concern for many years now and every year you've taken the L every year with that mindset. 2021 he finally turns into dirt? Maybe. I'd bet on no. It has been the most consistent winning bet in fantasy baseball for like a decade.

That is true, but every year he ages, the risk of injury/decline increases. I think his ADP is fair, I cant see myself spending a top 50 pick on Cruz in his age-41 season

On 11/3/2020 at 4:21 PM, brockpapersizer said:

I still feel like in any serious league Trout will go 1/2

$150 entry leagues with not only a league prize but a overall prize of $30,000 aren't serious???

2 minutes ago, turner46 said:

$150 entry leagues with not only a league prize but a overall prize of $30,000 aren't serious???

Well an overall prize does compromise the ADP, you want someone with the most upside rather than a safer player if you're going for the overall.  We'll see where the ADP settles, I'm not sure it will be 5+ when it's all said and done, and I'm not letting trout fall out of 2 most likely in an actual redraft with no overall.

• Like 1

Here's another look at a recent Draft Champions league:

NFBC $150 Draft Champions
Round 1:

1 1 Acuna Jr., Ronald OF
1 2 Betts, Mookie OF
1 3 deGrom, Jacob P
1 4 Tatis Jr., Fernando SS
1 5 Soto, Juan OF
1 6 Trout, Mike OF
1 7 Story, Trevor SS
1 8 Turner, Trea SS
1 9 Ramirez, Jose 3B
1 10 Bieber, Shane P
1 11 Cole, Gerrit P
1 12 Freeman, Freddie 1B
1 13 Yelich, Christian OF
1 14 Bellinger, Cody 1B
1 15 Lindor, Francisco SS

Round 2:
2 16 Machado, Manny 3B
2 17 Bichette, Bo SS
2 18 Buehler, Walker P
2 19 Bauer, Trevor P
2 20 Harper, Bryce OF
2 21 Darvish, Yu P
2 22 Nola, Aaron P
2 23 Giolito, Lucas P
2 24 LeMahieu, DJ 1B
2 25 Castillo, Luis P
2 26 Seager, Corey SS
2 27 Arenado, Nolan 3B
2 28 Mondesi, Adalberto SS
2 29 Flaherty, Jack P
2 30 Albies, Ozzie 2B

Round 3:
3 31 Kershaw, Clayton P
3 32 Bogaerts, Xander SS
3 33 Jimenez, Eloy OF
3 34 Bregman, Alex CI
3 35 Anderson, Tim MI
3 36 Scherzer, Max P
3 37 Ozuna, Marcell OF
3 38 Abreu, Jose 1B
3 39 Realmuto, J.T. C
3 40 Merrifield, Whit 2B
3 41 Gallen, Zac P
3 42 Robert, Luis OF
3 43 Tucker, Kyle OF
3 44 Woodruff, Brandon P
3 45 Guerrero Jr., Vladimir 1B

Round 4:
4 46 Snell, Blake P
4 47 Biggio, Cavan 2B
4 48 Marte, Starling OF
4 49 Maeda, Kenta P
4 50 Rendon, Anthony 3B
4 51 Devers, Rafael 3B
4 52 Lynn, Lance P
4 53 Plesac, Zach P
4 54 Judge, Aaron OF
4 55 Grisham, Trent OF
4 56 Arozarena, Randy OF
4 57 Burnes, Corbin P
4 58 Alonso, Pete 1B
4 59 Glasnow, Tyler P
4 60 Gray, Sonny P

Round 5:
5 61 Baez, Javier SS
5 62 Fried, Max P
5 63 Marte, Ketel 2B
5 64 Strasburg, Stephen P
5 65 Lamet, Dinelson P
5 66 Springer, George OF
5 67 Torres, Gleyber MI
5 68 Hendriks, Liam P
5 69 Ryu, Hyun Jin P
5 70 Hiura, Keston MI
5 71 Voit, Luke 1B
5 72 Lowe, Brandon 2B
5 73 Carrasco, Carlos P
5 74 Anderson, Ian P
5 75 Clevinger, Mike P

Round 6:
6 76 Stanton, Giancarlo UT
6 77 Castellanos, Nick OF
6 78 Valdez, Framber P
6 79 Hernandez, Teoscar OF
6 80 Hader, Josh P
6 81 Suarez, Eugenio CI
6 82 Smith, Dominic 1B
6 83 Lewis, Kyle OF
6 84 Wheeler, Zack P
6 85 Olson, Matt 1B
6 86 Lopez, Pablo P
6 87 Gurriel Jr., Lourdes OF
6 88 Diaz, Edwin P
6 89 Goldschmidt, Paul 1B
6 90 Moncada, Yoan 3B

Here's a DC that started yesterday and should be done by tomorrow!!

NFBC $150 Draft Champions
Round 1:

1 1 Acuna Jr., Ronald OF
1 2 Tatis Jr., Fernando SS
1 3 Betts, Mookie OF
1 4 Soto, Juan OF
1 5 Bieber, Shane P
1 6 Turner, Trea SS
1 7 Ramirez, Jose 3B
1 8 Trout, Mike OF
1 9 Cole, Gerrit P
1 10 deGrom, Jacob P
1 11 Story, Trevor SS
1 12 Darvish, Yu P
1 13 Bauer, Trevor P
1 14 Yelich, Christian OF
1 15 Bichette, Bo SS

Round 2:
2 16 Bellinger, Cody 1B
2 17 Freeman, Freddie 1B
2 18 Machado, Manny 3B
2 19 Giolito, Lucas P
2 20 Harper, Bryce OF
2 21 Buehler, Walker P
2 22 Nola, Aaron P
2 23 Lindor, Francisco SS
2 24 Albies, Ozzie 2B
2 25 Seager, Corey MI
2 26 Robert, Luis OF
2 27 Tucker, Kyle OF
2 28 Kershaw, Clayton P
2 29 Abreu, Jose 1B
2 30 LeMahieu, DJ 1B

Round 3:
3 31 Bogaerts, Xander SS
3 32 Bregman, Alex 3B
3 33 Anderson, Tim SS
3 34 Mondesi, Adalberto SS
3 35 Castillo, Luis P
3 36 Arenado, Nolan 3B
3 37 Flaherty, Jack P
3 38 Scherzer, Max P
3 39 Rendon, Anthony 3B
3 40 Realmuto, J.T. C
3 41 Woodruff, Brandon P
3 42 Marte, Starling OF
3 43 Merrifield, Whit 2B
3 44 Gallen, Zac P
3 45 Glasnow, Tyler P

Round 4:
4 46 Judge, Aaron OF
4 47 Gray, Sonny P
4 48 Ozuna, Marcell OF
4 49 Biggio, Cavan 2B
4 50 Jimenez, Eloy OF
4 51 Devers, Rafael 3B
4 52 Hader, Josh P
4 53 Burnes, Corbin P
4 54 Plesac, Zach P
4 55 Fried, Max P
4 56 Snell, Blake P
4 57 Maeda, Kenta P
4 58 Lamet, Dinelson P
4 59 Arozarena, Randy OF
4 60 Ryu, Hyun Jin P

Round 5:
5 61 Voit, Luke CI
5 62 Hiura, Keston 2B
5 63 Springer, George OF
5 64 Urias, Julio P
5 65 Torres, Gleyber SS
5 66 Clevinger, Mike P
5 67 Grisham, Trent OF
5 68 Baez, Javier MI
5 69 Hendriks, Liam P
5 70 Hernandez, Teoscar OF
5 71 Lynn, Lance P
5 72 Lowe, Brandon 2B
5 73 Anderson, Ian P
5 74 Carrasco, Carlos P
5 75 Guerrero Jr., Vladimir CI

Round 6:
6 76 Hand, Brad P
6 77 Diaz, Edwin P
6 78 Smith, Dominic 1B
6 79 Lewis, Kyle OF
6 80 Conforto, Michael OF
6 81 Meadows, Austin OF
6 82 Hendricks, Kyle P
6 83 Alonso, Pete 1B
6 84 Castellanos, Nick OF
6 85 Muncy, Max 1B
6 86 Alvarez, Yordan UT
6 87 Marte, Ketel 2B
6 88 Suarez, Eugenio 3B
6 89 Strasburg, Stephen P
6 90 Wheeler, Zack P

14 hours ago, turner46 said:

Here's a DC that started yesterday and should be done by tomorrow!!

They finished this one in 35 hours, full ADP should hopefully be released in the near future.

Joined a NFBC league, no date yet but wanted to check their draft room rankings. As of now Bieber is 8th overall and the highest rated P. I will own zero shares, 11 of the first 24 P come from the central, the central had a bunch of motley crue offenses. The central god rest their souls sent 7 teams out of 16 to the playoffs and got beat like they stole something to a combined record of 14-2.

Bieber vs the Yankees 4.2 IP 9 hits 2 walks 7 earned runs, as Dennis Green would say you wanna crown em then crown his a**.

But for me this draft season as Randy Jackson would say that's a no from me dogg.

• Like 1
On 11/4/2020 at 2:36 PM, turner46 said:

League format dependent, but in nffc roto (no trades) I don't like clogging the lone util spot unless it is a total bargain but that is just me. If i played in other settings I would agree completely.

He is a total bargain though..at 70th.  The knocks on him are age, injury proneness and Utility.  But these 3 issues are interrelated.  He's old so he's deemed injury prone so that's double counting the same problem.  But he is a DH which will minimize the wear and tear on his body and help to mitigate points 1 and 2.  He really hasn't been that injury prone.  He missed like a week at the end of year.  I'd be happy to grab him with my 6th pick (around 70 overall).

I just joined a $50 Rotowire OC Qualifier. Set my KDS 1-8 then 12-11-10-9.

Acuna

Betts, Trout, Soto,

Tatis

Turner

Cole, deGrom

I would love to start with any of the above 8, outside Acuna being #1 I'm not sure the order of the remaining 7 at this time. I will share the 1st round and if interested more.