Sign in to follow this  
2ndCitySox

2020 MLB Playoffs* Thread

Whew - where’s the antacid...

9 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Sox came tantalizingly close to a ridiculous comeback down 5-0 in the 8th. 5-3 two outs, bases loaded for abreu. Hits a really hard grounder right to 2B. Over. 

Glad to see them find some life after Bassitt shut them down, especially against Liam Hendricks (49 pitches!), but damn. Tomorrow will be a bizarre pitching medley from both sides i think. Sox need to score early and often I think, if they want to keep this train going. 

(Canha with an absolute boss catch in the 3rd was a huge boost for A's)

If they empty out their bullpen, they win. Foster, Bummer, Crotchet, Marshall, Heuer, and Colome should be able to cover 9. Six fire arms out of one pen. Oakland can't match that, especially with Hendricks fried.

Woot!  Woot!!

What was that Trevor Bauer? Did you say we would talk after you won the series lol

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, cdd10 said:

What was that Trevor Bauer? Did you say we would talk after you won the series lol

Wasn't his fault they lost...

I have it on mute so maybe I missed something but why did they IBB Pinder ?

Just now, fletch44 said:

I have it on mute so maybe I missed something but why did they IBB Pinder ?

So it would be the third batter and they could bring in another pitcher for the matchup. It didn't work, but that was the thinking. Pretty fascinating to watch the strategy play out.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AnonymousRob said:

So it would be the third batter and they could bring in another pitcher for the matchup. It didn't work, but that was the thinking. Pretty fascinating to watch the strategy play out.

Oh yeah, OK thanks. I forgot about the new minimum batters faced rule.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, fletch44 said:

Oh yeah, OK thanks. I forgot about the new minimum batters faced rule.

One of Manfred's stupid ideas for sure...

If you assume Gio and Kuechel aren't going to pitch..the White Sox are down to 4 pitchers.

8 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

If you assume Gio and Kuechel aren't going to pitch..the White Sox are down to 4 pitchers.

At the rate they're using them today I expect they'll have used them 2/3 through the end of next inning.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, sleepysock said:

If they empty out their bullpen, they win. Foster, Bummer, Crotchet, Marshall, Heuer, and Colome should be able to cover 9. Six fire arms out of one pen. Oakland can't match that, especially with Hendricks fried.

spacer.png

Edited by AnonymousRob

1 hour ago, AnonymousRob said:

At the rate they're using them today I expect they'll have used them 2/3 through the end of next inning.

I thought we'd see EE pitching 

4 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

spacer.png

crotchet getting hurt after like 7 pitchers didn't help, but the pen was wild and hitters left way too many men on base. 

Congrats on the win.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

crotchet getting hurt after like 7 pitchers didn't help, but the pen was wild and hitters left way too many men on base. 

Congrats on the win.

I'm just sorry they had to play each other this series instead of the next one. Always more fun to root for two quality teams deeper into the playoffs. Oakland's wagon is usually pretty empty, I hope you'll grab a seat for the F Houston series!

4 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

I'm just sorry they had to play each other this series instead of the next one. Always more fun to root for two quality teams deeper into the playoffs. Oakland's wagon is usually pretty empty, I hope you'll grab a seat for the F Houston series!

Yeah i mean how could I, as an American, root for the Astros? 

My head hurts. Pulse was at 90+ all game, haha (barely kidding). 

Good luck!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Congrats on the win.

This felt like a game the White Sox lost more than the A's won. Hate to see that. Abreu will probably win MVP but his season in the end is defined by not being able to convert this series with runners on base. How many guys did he leave on? Gotta be double digits. Had Chicago won yesterday it would have been the same kind of feeling since Oakland owned that game until Melvin decided to ride Hendricks like he was the only pitcher he had left.

I think both teams were set up well to beat the trashcans. Feeling an A's-Rays LCS matchup. That'll be fun, and will piss off Manfred to boot which is an extraordinary bonus.

Oh, and also Renteria. He's gotta be gone, right? Being really good at putting your players in a position to fail is kind of a big deal I would think.

Edited by sleepysock
  • Like 1

The story with Brandon Woodruff... starts off dominant and loses it in the 5th inning.  I bet this guy has an Era under 2 in the first 4 innings and like 6 or more in the 5th or 6th.

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, KingJoffrey said:

The story with Brandon Woodruff... starts off dominant and loses it in the 5th inning.  I bet this guy has an Era under 2 in the first 4 innings and like 6 or more in the 5th or 6th.

Sounds like you are talking about post season Kershaw. But looked great tonight

Edited by FantasyGeek2018

I'm sure someone has the actual numbers on this, but I feel like they would always want to start Kershaw on short rest to get him out there more - and he didn't respond well to that.

Good thing the DH exists, or the Chicago/Oakland game 3 would have use over 20 pitchers instead of the 17 that it did...

• Like 1

21 hours ago, sleepysock said:

This felt like a game the White Sox lost more than the A's won. Hate to see that. Abreu will probably win MVP but his season in the end is defined by not being able to convert this series with runners on base. How many guys did he leave on? Gotta be double digits. Had Chicago won yesterday it would have been the same kind of feeling since Oakland owned that game until Melvin decided to ride Hendricks like he was the only pitcher he had left.

I think both teams were set up well to beat the trashcans. Feeling an A's-Rays LCS matchup. That'll be fun, and will piss off Manfred to boot which is an extraordinary bonus.

Oh, and also Renteria. He's gotta be gone, right? Being really good at putting your players in a position to fail is kind of a big deal I would think.

No. The FO loves Ricky and the culture he has created. He's staying for now. He can learn and get better too. I hope.

2 hours ago, 1972Miamidolphins said:

Howbout them marlins baby!

undefeated in the playoffs. Anti-Twins