Sign in to follow this  
2ndCitySox

2020 MLB Playoffs* Thread

11 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

undefeated in the playoffs. Anti-Twins

Not bad for a bunch of bottom feeders.

EjWymHYXgAo-Jy7?format=jpg&name=large

I know everyone loves an underdog / Cinderella story, but the Marlins were 24th out of 30 in run differential this season, with a Pythagorean record of 26-34.  Good for them for making some noise this season by turning their regular season luck into something, but this is exhibit A for why the expanded playoffs needs to be confined to this (hopefully) one-off 60 game season.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Ok round 2, a more reasonable best of 5, heres my picks (I went 5-2 in the first round - didn't pick for the Oak/Sox matchup:

National League:

LAD 3 - SD 2. This should be an intense series. The big dog in the West (8 straight division titles) vs. The up-and-comers in the West. No love lost here. 

ATL 3 - MIA 1: The Braves bats are on a whole different level than the Cubs, and the pitching showed it is still very capable by shutting out the reds in the first round (22 innings no less). The Fish can pitch but the bats won't be enough to support it. 

American League:

OAK 3 - HOU 2: another division rivalry. Houston knocked the A's out last year (and the year before i think?), but the A's shook off the playoff bugaboo with a rollercoaster win over the Sox (sad). I dont have any good analysis here, just a feeling.

TB 3 - NYY 2: The Rays are going to have to their asses off. But they can. This is a matchup of antithesis. If the Rays bats can't hit off of the lackluster starting pitcher (Cole notwithstanding), then the Yankees will make this a cakewalk. Im thinking the Yankees hitters arms, shoulders, and legs will be pretty tired from blasting the ball all over the place and running many many bases against the Tribe. This will be a tight content. 

Edited by 2ndCitySox

1 hour ago, 2ndCitySox said:

OAK 3 - HOU 2: another division rivalry. Houston knocked the A's out last year (and the year before i think?), but the A's shook off the playoff bugaboo with a rollercoaster win over the Sox (sad). I dont have any good analysis here, just a feeling. 

The A’s and * have never met in the playoffs until now.  It is up to present, the apex of this divisional rivalry with absolutely no love lost.  The A’s were knocked out in the WC by NYY (‘18) and TB (‘19).  The A’s went 7-3 vs HOU this season, albeit playing 8 of 10 games at the Coliseum.  

Next week the A’s will he “America’s team” and attempt to inflict sweet karma on behalf of all baseball fans (* excluded).  A’s have been winning a lot of tightly contested games on the strength of their pitching (best bullpen in baseball), solid defense and some timely 3-true outcome offense (we love us some BB — pun intended).  Between Fiers getting a shot at payback vs his old shameless teammates and the fisticuffs with the HOU bench coach leading to Lazer’s suspension earlier in the season there is plenty of ire between the two clubs.  Expect some drama. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I don't get why they didn't use the common higher seed playing the lowest seed match-ups in this second round.  If they had it would be LA vs the Marlins and Atlanta and SD would clash.  TB would have taken on the Astros on behalf of America and the A's would have had a throw down with the Yankees.  Much better match-ups for me because these teams didn't play each other this whole short season  at all. 

But the way it is now every single damn match-up is within a team's division.  Seems stupid and stale.  They have been playing each other all season long.  Seems like just regular season games this way. 

AL East (1st Seed-Rays) vs AL East (5th Seed-Yankees).  And AL West (2nd Seed-A's) vs AL West (6th Seed-Astros).  Then NL East (2nd Seed-Braves) vs NL East (6th Seed-Marlins) and NL West (1st Seed-Dodgers) vs NL West (4th Seed-Padres).  In playoffs you usually get to see unusual and rarer match-ups which makes it more exciting.

And again why did the highest vs lowest seeding used in baseball every other time and in all other sports as well get discarded for this round.  It does not computed.

Also the Central Division in both leagues did not fair too well did they.  🤔

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1

Central had the most teams make the playoffs, and yeah, zero made it.

And why is there no baseball today!?!? Or tomorrow?!?! WTH?

2 hours ago, meh2 said:

Give them time to get to the bubbles, get tested and get settled in...

Thank God the DH was in both leagues for the Wild Card round...

There were a ridiculous 382 strikeouts in 18 games played...  That is 21.2 per game...  Might have been up to maybe one-half more per game if the DH in the NL wasn't there...

I, for one, am glad for this...

2 hours ago, meh2 said:

One word answer.  Football.  They don't want to be creamed in the ratings right out of the gate in the second round by America's weird obsession with both college and pro football.

8 hours ago, tonycpsu said:

I know everyone loves an underdog / Cinderella story, but the Marlins were 24th out of 30 in run differential this season, with a Pythagorean record of 26-34.  Good for them for making some noise this season by turning their regular season luck into something, but this is exhibit A for why the expanded playoffs needs to be confined to this (hopefully) one-off 60 game season.

A lot of that run differential came from 1 game 29-9 beating from the Braves.

In a longer season maybe they wouldn't have made the post season but neither should the Cubs, Brewers, and Blue Jays.

1 hour ago, Low and Away said:

A lot of that run differential came from 1 game 29-9 beating from the Braves.

Crediting them with 20 runs brings them from 24th all the way up to 19th.

1 hour ago, Low and Away said:

In a longer season maybe they wouldn't have made the post season but neither should the Cubs, Brewers, and Blue Jays.

So we agree that the expanded playoffs is a farce, then?

Cubs were 10th in Rdiff, BTW.  Brewers and Blue Jays were 18th and 17th, respectively.

MLB better not do these expanded playoffs next year

Pretty salty the Dodgers have to play the Padres instead of the Marlins, but oh well.  Padres vs Dodgers should be a ridiculous series, especially if the Padres get Clev back.

19 hours ago, tonycpsu said:

Crediting them with 20 runs brings them from 24th all the way up to 19th.

So we agree that the expanded playoffs is a farce, then?

Cubs were 10th in Rdiff, BTW.  Brewers and Blue Jays were 18th and 17th, respectively.

The expanded playoffs really don't bother me. I like an underdog story and this season there wasn't a bigger underdog than the Marlins. Read an article that the Marlins ended up making 170+ player moves during the 60 game season and Mattingly was meeting new players during games.

Braves>>>rays>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Dodgers>>>>>>>>>astros 

In terms of who I want to win 

Edited by Fbaseballgod
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Fbaseballgod said:

Same. Though I’d want a Braves/Rays matchup.

8 hours ago, Fbaseballgod said:

As a Braves fan, I am rooting this way...

Braves - Astros - Rays - Dodgers

Edited by posty

Got 3 of 4 right in the divisional round, overall 8-3. 

Atl vs. LaD. Atlanta has had the luxury of facing rather poor offenses in Cincinnati and Miami. The Dodgers are not of that ilk. I think the Braves make the series exciting but ill go 4-2 Dodgers. ATL makes the world series next year with a healthy rotation.

Hou vs. TB: so glad I didn't have to root for NYY. Tampa really lucked out in not having to throw Snell out there in game 5. I think that proves to be the difference. TB in 6.

Again, so grateful that this 60 game turbo season has panned out so far. Heres to a great finish and a normal 2021.

• Like 1