Sign in to follow this  
Ads7633

2021 SP Ranks

I really think after deGrom, Bieber, & Cole, everyone else has enough question marks to not be considered Tier 1.

That includes Giolito for me- Somewhat limited arsenal, inconsistency both this year and last, and I still can't quite forget how bad he was in 2018. Not quite Tier 1. Maybe if he is elite again this year he moves up into that Tier, but right now I can't draft him with that level of confidence.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Ads7633 said:

That includes Giolito for me 

I still can't quite forget how bad he was in 2018. Not quite Tier 1. Maybe if he is elite again this year he moves up into that Tier, but right now I can't draft him with that level of confidence.

I totally agree with you on Giolito's warts but at some point when players break out, you have to forget their struggles and realize they are different players. Based on Giolito's mechanical changes, and the fact that he has played well over the last 40 starts, you shouldn't be holding 2018 against him at this point.

It's like the same thing with people who refuse to see Yu Darvish as a different pitcher from what he was in 2017 and 2018.

If Corbin Burnes continues to show solid command and limits HRs (to go along with the boatload of Ks) in 2021, I certainly won't look at his awful 2019 and bump him down a few notches because of it.

Edited by UberRebel

23 minutes ago, UberRebel said:

I totally agree with you on Giolito's warts but at some point when players break out, you have to forget their struggles and realize they are different players. Based on Giolito's mechanical changes, and the fact that he has played well over the last 40 starts, you shouldn't be holding 2018 against him at this point.

It's like the same thing with people who refuse to see Yu Darvish as a different pitcher from what he was in 2017 and 2018.

If Corbin Burnes continues to show solid command and limits HRs (to go along with the boatload of Ks) in 2021, I certainly won't look at his awful 2019 and bump him down a few notches because of it.

I mean its not like I hate Giolito. I have him as SP5. I just don't think he belongs in the conversation(yet) with Cole, Bieber, & deGrom. 

4 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

Nobody here repping tier 1 for my boy Darvish? :( 

image.png.e3b42322a5cc7c2db64b40bb059a646b.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Still think Urias deserves to be in the top 30, but maybe it's just blind faith that there's another level he's so close to hitting. His baseballsavant page is all red other than K's/whiffs. Alcantara, Plesac, and Civale knocking on the door as well. There's going to be so many pitchers to go after in the late rounds next year. Crazy that Marco Gonzales' FB graded out as the best in the league while averaging under 90mph. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mavsfan23 said:

Still think Urias deserves to be in the top 30, but maybe it's just blind faith that there's another level he's so close to hitting.

I think he'd hit it if the team would let him, but when the IP column in your game log doesn't contain a number larger than 6.1, you aren't going to get into my top 30, or even top 50. I don't care how great you are on a per-inning basis if the team isn't going to let you go past the 6th inning.

He was SP55 on the player rater this season.  Volume matters, friends.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Jyeatbvg said:

Where does Severino fall?

I don't mess with post-TJ guys the year they come back, so pretty much DND for me.  Someone in every league is going to stash and see, but it won't be me.

Posted (edited)

Looking at some of the rankings I can already tell I’ll be drafting a SP1 and then wait for guys like Wheeler, Lynn, Hendricks, etc. 

Edited by Sine_cera

I guess Berrios has lost his luster. I don't Know Who mentioned Corbin Burnes but he wouldn't be on my list. Not enough of a track record  . 

6 hours ago, tonycpsu said:

I don't mess with post-TJ guys the year they come back, so pretty much DND for me.  Someone in every league is going to stash and see, but it won't be me.

theoretically, isn’t the rule of thumb that it takes 1/2 a season for the control to come back? Would hug be interested in Sev in 2nd half?

Tier 1: set and forget - choose your own order

deGrom

Bieber

Cole

Tier 2:  

Bauer

Giolito

Buehler

Darvish

Scherzer

Nola

Flaherty

Tier 3:

Castillo

Kershaw

Clevinger

Lynn

Tier 4: 

Maeda

Gallen

Glasnow

Grienke

Lamet

• Like 1

I'm curious why Kershaw isn't in the top 5 discussion. Both his ceiling and floor are extremely high. I think there's a reasonable consideration to have him #4. And it's not like he's a greater injury risk than the consensus #4 guy right now (Darvish)

On 10/1/2020 at 1:50 PM, tonycpsu said:

image.png.e3b42322a5cc7c2db64b40bb059a646b.png

He meant a different Darvish 

14 hours ago, fishingguy12345 said:

Tier 1: set and forget - choose your own order

deGrom

Bieber

Cole

Tier 2:  

Bauer

Giolito

Buehler

Darvish

Scherzer

Nola

Flaherty

Tier 3:

Castillo

Kershaw

Clevinger

Lynn

Tier 4: 

Maeda

Gallen

Glasnow

Grienke

Lamet

anyone worried about Flaherty's suckiness this year? 

7 minutes ago, NoHablaIngles said:

I'm curious why Kershaw isn't in the top 5 discussion.

Well, I had him at 6, which is certainly "in the discussion" for top 5.  The reason I put a tier break between him and my top 5 is that the volume hasn't really been there since 2015.  In a full season, can he be trusted to get 30+ starts in his age 33 season?  Maybe, but I don't know that one 10-start season is enough to push him from back-end top 10 into the top 5.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

Well, I had him at 6, which is certainly "in the discussion" for top 5.  The reason I put a tier break between him and my top 5 is that the volume hasn't really been there since 2015.  In a full season, can he be trusted to get 30+ starts in his age 33 season?  Maybe, but I don't know that one 10-start season is enough to push him from back-end top 10 into the top 5.

Kershaw certainly isn't old for an SP. Same age as DeGrom. The volume point is certainly valid, hes gonna give you 180 IP vs 200+; but then again very few SPs are gonna give you 200 IP.

And conversely, 2019 could be considered the outlier rather this season. 

Even so, 2019 was a pretty darn valuable season which indicates how high his floor is. A lot of the guys ahead of him have a way higher risk to flame out; at worst, Kershaw is an ace.

Edited by NoHablaIngles
  • Like 1

Love the rankings.... It's going to be a real fun year if we get a real full mlb 2021 season.

I agree that 

TIER 1

Degrom, Cole, Bieber

Now Tier 2 is interesting, I think I'd have

Tier 2

Buehler, Kershaw, Giolito, Darvish, Bauer, Castillo

Tier 3

Snell, Glasnow, Flaherty, Nola, Scherzer, Gallen

Tier 4

Lynn, Clevinger, Greinke, Maeda, Gray, Woodruff, Fried, Plesac

Left out: Lamet (not touching)

IDK. 

1 hour ago, 2ndCitySox said:

anyone worried about Flaherty's suckiness this year? 

Personally, no. If people are willing to cut hitters slack for bad batting average, etc. then why not the same for a pitcher? 

On the whole, he was decent this year. He's at the end of my second tier. Which could make a great value pick depending how other picks would turn out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fishingguy12345 said:

Personally, no. If people are willing to cut hitters slack for bad batting average, etc. then why not the same for a pitcher? 

On the whole, he was decent this year. He's at the end of my second tier. Which could make a great value pick depending how other picks would turn out. 

Yeah, Jack's ERA was garbage but other #'s looked good. May have just been bad luck. 

3 hours ago, CrypTviLL said:

Love the rankings.... It's going to be a real fun year if we get a real full mlb 2021 season.

I agree that 

TIER 1

Degrom, Cole, Bieber

Now Tier 2 is interesting, I think I'd have

Tier 2

Buehler, Kershaw, Giolito, Darvish, Bauer, Castillo

Tier 3

Snell, Glasnow, Flaherty, Nola, Scherzer, Gallen

Tier 4

Lynn, Clevinger, Greinke, Maeda, Gray, Woodruff, Fried, Plesac

Left out: Lamet (not touching)

IDK. 

no Sixto?

16 minutes ago, UberRebel said:

no Sixto?

Hard to rank. I don't think I'd take him a head of anyone of the names I mentioned for re-draft. 

• Like 1

Jack wasn't good this year..FIP of 4.11.  He was getting a bit unlucky but not tremendously so.  He was only really dominant in the second half of last year and the first half he wasn't so good.  He's like the pitching equivalent of Cody Bellinger.