ohio#1eaglesfan

D'Ernest Johnson 2020 Outlook

9 touches.  Felt like most didn't come until the 2nd half, I don't recall seeing him get a touch in the first half, but I was watching RedZone.  I did see him get a carry but play was called dead.  Next play he lined up out wide and ran a route.  Announcers were repeatedly talking about why the Browns were attacking IND through the air vs the ground, so this may have been a game plan specific.  Hunt deserve every touch he got, but CLE only ran the ball 28 times total, which is a season low I believe.  Either that's because they don't have Chubb and we're screwed, or it was game plan specific and an outlier moving forward.

Too soon to tell, but 9 touches is the realm of what was to be expected.  IND was a top 4 unit against fantasy RBs, so I need to see at least 1 more week to make any hard conclusions.

• Like 1

I think he had 2 or 3 touches in the first half.  Most of his touches seemed to come late in the 4th.  He ripped off a 28 yard run which accounted for practically all his production.

This is not a 1A/1B situation like it was with Chubb and Hunt.  It's clearly a 1 and then he's the 2 which is way way behind.  I think he'll be used to spell Hunt.  But nowhere near the split that Chubb and Hunt were getting.  For that reason, I'm out.  

• Like 1

He only got those touches at the end of the game when Hunt walked to the sideline seemingly favoring his groin.  He really wasn't part of the game plan at all.  He's worth holding because it doesn't seem Hunt is completely healthy, but if Hunt is healthy who knows what his involvement will be.

3 minutes ago, CharlesCC2 said:

He only got those touches at the end of the game when Hunt walked to the sideline seemingly favoring his groin.  He really wasn't part of the game plan at all.  He's worth holding because it doesn't seem Hunt is completely healthy, but if Hunt is healthy who knows what his involvement will be.

Hmmm , this is very interesting.  So you’re saying Kareem Hunt May be injured? 

3 minutes ago, enyouartist said:

Hmmm , this is very interesting.  So you’re saying Kareem Hunt May be injured? 

That's what I'm wondering!  I can't find ANY information on it anywhere.  I was flipping between games but caught the final few minute and saw him limping to the sideline and the commentators made note of it.  D'Ernest was in the rest of the game and Hunt didn't see another snap.  And this was not garbage time, this was trying to seal the win.

It doesn't make sense for D'Ernest to basically only spell Hunt a few times the entire game then close the game out.  It could've just been precautionary, but clearly Hunt isn't 100%.  On that alone D'Ernest is worth holding, but not playing with Hunt good to go most likely.

Edit: After Hunt went out D'Ernest did break a big run, so maybe that's why they left him in, to reward the big play/hot hand type of thing.

Edited by CharlesCC2

35 minutes ago, CharlesCC2 said:

That's what I'm wondering!  I can't find ANY information on it anywhere.  I was flipping between games but caught the final few minute and saw him limping to the sideline and the commentators made note of it.  D'Ernest was in the rest of the game and Hunt didn't see another snap.  And this was not garbage time, this was trying to seal the win.

It doesn't make sense for D'Ernest to basically only spell Hunt a few times the entire game then close the game out.  It could've just been precautionary, but clearly Hunt isn't 100%.  On that alone D'Ernest is worth holding, but not playing with Hunt good to go most likely.

Edit: After Hunt went out D'Ernest did break a big run, so maybe that's why they left him in, to reward the big play/hot hand type of thing.

I watched the game. Hunt was getting his leg checked out on the sideline. There was definitely something up,  but there's obviously no indication that it's serious.

6 hours ago, ajs723 said:

I watched the game. Hunt was getting his leg checked out on the sideline. There was definitely something up,  but there's obviously no indication that it's serious.

the announcers mentioned cramping was a possibility 

9 hours ago, Steve-O said:

What does everyone think of this guy’s usage going forward?

The *process* was good when it came to spending waiver equity on him -- he got a lot of touches off the bench as a 1B, so it wasn't unreasonable to expect FLEX production out of him while Chubb was out.

Now we know that Hunt is The Guy when healthy, and there is no 1A/1B usage. If Hunt isn't limited at practice there's no reason to keep this bum rostered -- probably dropping him in a 20-teamer for some context.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

the announcers mentioned cramping was a possibility 

This.... Hunt walked to an open area and laid down and lifted his leg up and the trainer immediately started stretching his foot back. Textbook cramp stretching

4 hours ago, eg4190 said:

The *process* was good when it came to spending waiver equity on him -- he got a lot of touches off the bench as a 1B, so it wasn't unreasonable to expect FLEX production out of him while Chubb was out.

Now we know that Hunt is The Guy when healthy, and there is no 1A/1B usage. If Hunt isn't limited at practice there's no reason to keep this bum rostered -- probably dropping him in a 20-teamer for some context.

i will say for some of the the touches he did get he looked fairly explosive. depending on team / bench size / yada yada he might be worth holding on to as Hunt's backup until Chubb comes back. If Hunt goes down in the next couple weeks I think he could have some value. 

Cleveland has a good team.  Let's say Hunt has a catastrophic injury next week.  Will Cleveland sign a back or let D'Ernest Johnson be their bellcow?  

He's a drop in all but the deepest of leagues.

• Like 2

Always skeptical of UDFAs with limited pedigree making much of an impact; tends to be the exception. He's so below Hunt's level it would take another injury to make him startable.

He's a handcuff with the upside undetermined in case of a Hunt injury. Could easily flip and be Hilliard etc.

"Priority add" D'Ernest Johnson gained 9 inches per carry today en route to 0.1 points.  This even with Kareem Hunt missing a few snaps with some sort of minor injury. 

It might be time to dive into another dumpster. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

“But he looks like an Alvin Kamara 2.0”

😬

Edited by Tomei7
  • Haha 2

Is he droppable? Grabbed him hoping for the best in a 12 team .5 PPR league but don't see me ever using him at this rate and would prefer grabbing a different handcuff off the wire/free agency given his usage/schedule/bye week and Chubbs imminent return

11 minutes ago, Ergogh said:

Is he droppable? Grabbed him hoping for the best in a 12 team .5 PPR league but don't see me ever using him at this rate and would prefer grabbing a different handcuff off the wire/free agency given his usage/schedule/bye week and Chubbs imminent return

Yes, he's droppable. It was mentioned earlier in the thread but he may be the least athletic RB in the entire league. Nothing to see here.