Sign in to follow this  
Gootz

Post/member quality degredation...rant and seeking advice

When I first started on the forum back in 2012, there were contributions being made by members which were constructive, insightful and overall very helpful. There were up to the minute posts including links for updates on injuries, projections based on numerical and subjective standpoints, which were very useful.

It seems like over the years, the quality of posts and members have gone downhill. The keen insights and useful posts have become harder to sort through because there are so many posters who just want to run their mouths/keyboards to either hear themselves talk or regurgitate whatever nonsense they've thought of or heard about, or those who just want to criticize others.

What are some of the ways you guys are sorting through this rubbish to find the gems?

On 10/8/2020 at 12:19 PM, Gootz said:

When I first started on the forum back in 2012, there were contributions being made by members which were constructive, insightful and overall very helpful. There were up to the minute posts including links for updates on injuries, projections based on numerical and subjective standpoints, which were very useful.

It seems like over the years, the quality of posts and members have gone downhill. The keen insights and useful posts have become harder to sort through because there are so many posters who just want to run their mouths/keyboards to either hear themselves talk or regurgitate whatever nonsense they've thought of or heard about, or those who just want to criticize others.

What are some of the ways you guys are sorting through this rubbish to find the gems?

A few years ago(shortly after the Yahoo/Rotoworld deal) someone posted about this exact thing.  It was a real on fire topic until the Mods banished it to the "Off Topic" Void. 

I think there's a couple things at play... 

I've been a long time Rotoworld forumer and I basically learned how to play fantasy on this site.  Getting Help in the AC thread and reading up on players in the main forum I learned a lot about strategy and how the best players may not make the best fantasy players, ect... 

I couldn't agree more that most people were sharp and on point but the way I see it, that was back when Rotoworld was much less known.  To be on Rotoworld in general, but especially to be on the forums you really had to be into fantasy.  There weren't too many casual or moderate free league Yahoo players that would be on these pages.  Of course, Rotoworld did a great job and continued to grow and expose themselves.  Where it really took a sharp dive was after the aforementioned Yahoo partnership.   Almost overnight Rotoworld got exposed to the millions and millions of Yahoo players who don't follow/understand fantasy as much as the "original" members. 

This isn't to say there is anything wrong with a person who pays attention to fantasy from August-December and never again, but that's not the type of player that the earlier forums were built on. Unfortunately with that exposure came an influx in people signing up which means the "talent" pool gets watered down with there being an increased presence of the casual player.  It's just what it is.  Rotoworld did what they had to do to expand their company and I'm sure they are seeing record profits off the exposure but it did come at the cost of really hurting the quality of the forums.

• Thanks 1

Right after I post this  I have to go and see people truly arguing that they should be able to play a player in a position they aren't eligible for.  

On 11/20/2020 at 8:33 PM, GottaGetTheWin said:

A few years ago(shortly after the Yahoo/Rotoworld deal) someone posted about this exact thing.  It was a real on fire topic until the Mods banished it to the "Off Topic" Void. 

I think there's a couple things at play... 

I've been a long time Rotoworld forumer and I basically learned how to play fantasy on this site.  Getting Help in the AC thread and reading up on players in the main forum I learned a lot about strategy and how the best players may not make the best fantasy players, ect... 

I couldn't agree more that most people were sharp and on point but the way I see it, that was back when Rotoworld was much less known.  To be on Rotoworld in general, but especially to be on the forums you really had to be into fantasy.  There weren't too many casual or moderate free league Yahoo players that would be on these pages.  Of course, Rotoworld did a great job and continued to grow and expose themselves.  Where it really took a sharp dive was after the aforementioned Yahoo partnership.   Almost overnight Rotoworld got exposed to the millions and millions of Yahoo players who don't follow/understand fantasy as much as the "original" members. 

This isn't to say there is anything wrong with a person who pays attention to fantasy from August-December and never again, but that's not the type of player that the earlier forums were built on. Unfortunately with that exposure came an influx in people signing up which means the "talent" pool gets watered down with there being an increased presence of the casual player.  It's just what it is.  Rotoworld did what they had to do to expand their company and I'm sure they are seeing record profits off the exposure but it did come at the cost of really hurting the quality of the forums.

Well put. Didn't realize the yahoo partnership. Been here almost as long as you, so must've been under a rock.

On 11/20/2020 at 8:46 PM, GottaGetTheWin said:

Right after I post this  I have to go and see people truly arguing that they should be able to play a player in a position they aren't eligible for.  

Yep, pretty much sums up my rant.