Sign in to follow this  
Blazer

Jameis Winston 2020 Outlook

Dallas, please trade for JW before the deadline. JW at least scores TDs when he throws an INT or two. Dalton looks awful and is killing all the Dallas O players. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Blazer said:

Dallas, please trade for JW before the deadline. JW at least scores TDs when he throws an INT or two. Dalton looks awful and is killing all the Dallas O players. 

Actually Cooper and Lamb ended up with solid lines. That defense sucks so Dalton is gonna have to keep throwing. Winston is wayyyy better though of course. He's the future of the Saints at QB though. I would be surprised if Brees plays next year. Winston in NO is gonna be fun.

True. Just wondering if Dallas would consider trading Dak for JW ... 

Just now, Blazer said:

True. Just wondering if Dallas would consider trading Dak for JW ... 

Lol. Nonsense post. 

Jameis gonna hate being saints QB next year when he's jogging on and off field for idiot plays with Taysom Hill. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Lol. Nonsense post. 

Jameis gonna hate being saints QB next year when he's jogging on and off field for idiot plays with Taysom Hill. 

Lol, nonsense post.

JW is gonna rock. FSU grad, JW fan.

33 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Saints wouldn't trade him. 

You’re right about that. The only other QBs on their roster are a dead-armed guy with no zip on his throws and another guy that only knows how to run the 4 plays from the original NES version of Tecmo Bowl.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Benjamin1984 said:

Actually Cooper and Lamb ended up with solid lines. That defense sucks so Dalton is gonna have to keep throwing. Winston is wayyyy better though of course. He's the future of the Saints at QB though. I would be surprised if Brees plays next year. Winston in NO is gonna be fun.

Jameis on this Dallas team would be fantasy crack on steroids

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dislimb said:

You’re right about that. The only other QBs on their roster are a dead-armed guy with no zip on his throws and another guy that only knows how to run the 4 plays from the original NES version of Tecmo Bowl.

Plus there's a solid chance Dallas is a playoff opponent.

Yea, no way Saints trade him.  There's no incentive for them.

1 minute ago, SadFaceHappy said:

Jameis on this Dallas team would be fantasy crack on steroids

It would be amazing

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dislimb said:

Exactly. Lol. 

It's starting to bubble up ... Dallas trade for JW .. one of many articles:

From a Saints website:

"A Jameis Winston to the Cowboys trade should happen sooner than later."

"The Dallas Cowboys need to trade for Jameis Winston as the Saints can provide them with the one-year rental they need to make something of the 2020 season."

"With Amari Cooper, CeeDee Lamb, and Michael Gallup to go along with Ezekiel Elliott, the Cowboys have one of the best skill-player groups in the league. Now they just need a leader to take them to the next level. With a Dak-like build and athleticism, Winston could be that star."

https://whodatdish.com/2020/10/27/cowboys-prove-trade-saints-winston/

For JW FF fans like me, something to keep any eye on ... 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Blazer said:

It's starting to bubble up ... Dallas trade for JW .. one of many articles:

From a Saints website:

"A Jameis Winston to the Cowboys trade should happen sooner than later."

"The Dallas Cowboys need to trade for Jameis Winston as the Saints can provide them with the one-year rental they need to make something of the 2020 season."

"With Amari Cooper, CeeDee Lamb, and Michael Gallup to go along with Ezekiel Elliott, the Cowboys have one of the best skill-player groups in the league. Now they just need a leader to take them to the next level. With a Dak-like build and athleticism, Winston could be that star."

https://whodatdish.com/2020/10/27/cowboys-prove-trade-saints-winston/

For JW FF fans like me, something to keep any eye on ... 

I'm a Winston fan, and he'd be amazing on the Cowboys.  Plus, I'd like to see him get a chance post laser eye surgery.  His blindness never got the attention it should have, but dude's been squinting his way through games since FSU.

As fun as it would be for anyone who enjoys the NFL... what motivation do the Saints have to make that deal?

The Saints plan is a Superbowl.  They're going to make the playoffs, and someone from the East is also going to make the playoffs.  It would be crazy for them to trade their backup QB to fill a potential playoff opponent's biggest hole, unless they think Jameis stinks.  But that's probably not the case.  So even if the Cowboys offered their 1st rounder, would you take that gamble if you're the Saints?  You're all in on making a Superbowl run in Brees' possibly final year.  You've been on the cusp a couple years in a row now.  Even if you're sure Brees stays healthy, you really gonna risk trading Winston to a team you'll face in the playoffs?  

It just doesn't work.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, SadFaceHappy said:

I'm a Winston fan, and he'd be amazing on the Cowboys.  Plus, I'd like to see him get a chance post laser eye surgery.  His blindness never got the attention it should have, but dude's been squinting his way through games since FSU.

As fun as it would be for anyone who enjoys the NFL... what motivation do the Saints have to make that deal?

The Saints plan is a Superbowl.  They're going to make the playoffs, and someone from the East is also going to make the playoffs.  It would be crazy for them to trade their backup QB to fill a potential playoff opponent's biggest hole, unless they think Jameis stinks.  But that's probably not the case.  So even if the Cowboys offered their 1st rounder, would you take that gamble if you're the Saints?  You're all in on making a Superbowl run in Brees' possibly final year.  You've been on the cusp a couple years in a row now.  Even if you're sure Brees stays healthy, you really gonna risk trading Winston to a team you'll face in the playoffs?  

It just doesn't work.

It's a great question, and I don't know the answer. But if you Google Winston to Dallas trade there are a ton of articles supporting it ..

My guess would be NO wants draft picks and Drew can be back next year, nothing wrong with him. Perhaps they have an eye on a college QB they want to target next year and are ok with Drew playing two more years (counting this year). With that injury Dak took, he may never be the same and it's clear Dalton is not the answer. So, I default with what the local press are saying and they want to trade JW to Dallas. JW is +1 in pickups in yahoo leagues, not saying to add him, just saying that this is something to watch until the trade deadline passes.

Edited by Blazer

13 minutes ago, Blazer said:

It's a great question, and I don't know the answer. But if you Google Winston to Dallas trade there are a ton of articles supporting it ..

My guess would be NO wants draft picks and Drew can be back next year, nothing wrong with him. Perhaps they have an eye on a college QB they want to target next year and are ok with Drew playing two more years (counting this year). With that injury Dak took, he may never be the same and it's clear Dalton is not the answer. So, I default with what the local press are saying and they want to trade JW to Dallas. JW is +1 in pickups in yahoo leagues, not saying to add him, just saying that this is something to watch until the trade deadline passes.

I mean, sure, speculation is fun.  I'd love to see it happen. 

But, with all due respect to the local writers advocating for it - they're morons.

The Cowboys aren't the team with a 40 year old franchise player who have been a handful of plays away from the Superbowl 3 years in a row.  The Saints are.  Winston is their #2 QB, Brees is 40, missed 5 games w/injury last year, and they've shown no indication that they trust Taylor Hill to step in full time at this point.  Dallas is a potential playoff opponent.  Winston might be a good heir to Brees.  He's a former 1st overall pick who's had varied success, and 5 years starting experience, making a fraction of what other backups like Keenum and Mariotta are.

Do they think the Cowboys will give up a 1 plus other picks?  That seems completely unrealistic for a half year rental.  But that's the only kind of haul that could justify such a reckless move for New Orleans.

And let's say they have their eyes on picking a QB next year.  Trading Winston doesn't really help there.  Dallas is 1 of 13 teams with fewer than 3 wins.  7 teams have fewer than 2 wins.  If the season ended today, Dallas would have at best the 8th pick.  Certainly not high enough to get Lawrence or Fields.  Maybe not high enough to get Lance even.  3 QBs went in the first 6 picks last year.  Of course, if Dallas obtained Winston, they'd likely improve their record. 

So now the Saints are trading their high value (talent+experience+cap) #2 QB to a potential playoff opponent, who desperately need a QB but have talent everywhere else, for a pick that certainly won't be in the top 10 and is more likely to be somewhere around 20ish.  That makes no sense from the Saints perspective. 

And from the Cowboys perspective, do they have any reason to believe Jameis Winston makes them a Superbowl contender?  Their D is terrible and 40% of their offensive line is out for the year.  They're going to give up a 1st rounder for a guy who has to learn a new system and terminology, and who they have no control over beyond the final 8 games of this year?

It's just illogical from both teams perspective.  If the Cowboys can get Winston for a 5th rounder, sure.  If the Saints can get multiple 1st rounders for Winston, sure.  But because they are conference rivals, and because of the specific circumstances of each team this year, it only makes sense for the Cowboys to make a cheap move and for the Saints to move Jameis for a high price.  Their incentives are diametrically opposed. 

The Saints don't have any reason to trade JW unless someone comes with a Godfather offer.  And the Cowboys don't have a good reason to offer a Godfather deal for a short term fix.

Jameis to the Cowboys is too much fantasy.  Might as well speculate about Randy Moss coming out of retirement in prime shape and signing with Chiefs, or convincing Rachel McAdams and Eva Mendes to become my partners in a throuple.  It would be cool, but it's unrealistic. 

• Like 5

Not with that o-line.  Winston will be under constant pressure .  Even Zeke is averaging his lowest YPC in his career.

Edited by nk2333

1 hour ago, SadFaceHappy said:

It just doesn't work.

Is this a serious question? If any NFL team offered the Saints or any other team in the league a 1st rd pick for a backup QB they would take that deal in a heartbeat, whether within the conference or not. Winston was picked up to backup Brees and possibly be a 1yr starter next yr if Brees was to retire until they find their guy, not to be their heir apparent IMO, they will definitely draft a QB in 2021 or 2022. Offering a 1st rd pick for Winston would be insane and would never happen and if it did that offer would be accepted within a blink of an eye.  A 3rd round pick would be more realistic not a 1st.

Edited by Tomei7

I didn't know so many people could share the same dream. I mean it's literally 3:30 am, so everyone is dreaming together, sweet Jameis dreams.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Tomei7 said:

Is this a serious question? If any NFL team offered the Saints or any other team in the league a 1st rd pick for a backup QB they would take that deal in a heartbeat, whether within the conference or not. Winston was picked up to backup Brees and possibly be a 1yr starter next yr if Brees was to retire until they find their guy, not to be their heir apparent, they will definitely draft a QB in 2021 or 2022. Offering a 1st rd pick for Winston would be insane and would never happen and if it did that offer would be accepted within a blink of an eye. A 3rd round pick would be more realistic not a 1st.

I agree that nobody would offer a 1st.  That alone is ridiculous. 

But for the sake of argument:

Jameis isn't just a #2 to a 40 year old QB who missed 5 games last year and has nothing but Taysom Hill behind him, he's also a former 1st overall pick who has 5 years experience starting every game in his NFL career and led the league in passing just last season.  Which is to say: he's dangerous.

So let's say Jerry drinks a few bourbons tomorrow night and drunk dials Loomis to offer them Dallas' 2021 1st rounder for Jameis.  Loomis thinks for a second and says "of course we'll take your 1st rounder for Jameis!"

So the deal is made.  Dallas with DiNucci at QB loses to Philly Sunday night, dropping to 2-6.  Then they lose against Pittsburgh in week 9, heading into their bye 2-7.  But at least they'll have Jameis for the final 7 games, and the rest of division is as bad as Dallas.

Somehow Jameis sparks a functional offense, and the Cowboys win 5 of their final 7 to finish 7-9... winning the NFC East.  Meanwhile, Brees has fortunately stayed healthy all year and the Saints make the playoffs as a wild card.

First round match up is poetic justice: New Orleans at Dallas.  All week we get to reminisce about the great beast-quake of 2010, when the 7-9 Seahawks beat the Brees-Payton Saints.

How comforting is that 2021 Dallas 1st rounder (19th overall) to Loomis, Payton, and 40 year old Brees?

Since it's 2020, crazy s*** happens, the game is wild.  Each team puts up over 500 yards of offense.  Jameis goes deep to Gallup to get the Cowboys in fg range, and Greg the Leg hits a 45 yarder to give Dallas a 41-38 upset victory.  Winston finishes with 375 yards passing, 3 TDs, 3 picks, and a rushing TD.  The Saints lose another heartbreaker, and their 40+ year old franchise icon again heads into the offseason contemplating retirement having brought just 1 Superbowl to the city in the decade and a half he's been there.

But hey, at least they got the 19th pick in the 2021 draft for the guy who sent them packing.

(The above scenario is not probable, but is a possibility New Orleans would have to consider if Dallas inexplicably offered a 1st rounder to rent their #2 QB for half a season)

• Like 1

It would be difficult for a QB to learn a new system so quickly.  Ryan Fitzpatrick might make more sense for a team like Dallas to target.

If you do make the throuple happen, can we get at least after-pics?  McAdams may be within reach, but Mendes too?  That will be tough to swing.

4 minutes ago, squidthunder said:

Looks like he's up

Yep. We'll see if he's learned anything under Brees and Payton so far. He didn't look great yesterday, but we'll see what he looks like with a week of practice as the starter. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Yep. We'll see if he's learned anything under Brees and Payton so far. He didn't look great yesterday, but we'll see what he looks like with a week of practice as the starter. 

This. As an MT owner, I'm hoping a full week of practice makes all the difference.

Winston has an arm, he just has to be given opportunities to show it.

• Like 1

Hoping he goes off, but I doubt it. Probably going to grab him to see how he does. He definitely has an arm, but Payton is smart. I don't think he'll let him air it out as much as Arians did, and Taysom Hill will play a large role.