Sign in to follow this  
Blazer

Jameis Winston 2020 Outlook

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, sSektor said:

FWIW I'm starting him over Brady this week with confidence. Jameis matchup is too good to pass up, turnovers be damned.

I am in the same boat as you with Brady being the alternative. The thing is, I cannot see Payton dialing up a game plan that involves letting it rip with Winston. Between a probably-conservative game plan, and the likelihood of Kamara and/or Taysom Hill scoring the TDs instead of Jameis, I could see a very average output here and am tempering expectations for Winston despite the tasty matchup. And I'm saying this as someone who's desperate to find a better option than Brady this week due to his awful matchup. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Gandalfthecat said:

There is a bit of rushing upside here too, no?

Sorta. He's averaged about 15 rushing yards per game through his career to this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cbsholy said:

I am in the same boat as you with Brady being the alternative. The thing is, I cannot see Payton dialing up a game plan that involves letting it rip with Winston. Between a probably-conservative game plan, and the likelihood of Kamara and/or Taysom Hill scoring the TDs instead of Jameis, I could see a very average output here and am tempering expectations for Winston despite the tasty matchup. And I'm saying this as someone who's desperate to find a better option than Brady this week due to his awful matchup. 

Atlanta can score and cant stop anyone else from scoring. This will be a shootout or a blowout and i expect the saints qb to get points.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My only concern is if Payton is ready to open up the playcalling that we had in 2006-2011. Winston is perfect for that. It does involve riskier throws down the field. 

What im waiting to see is if Sanders stays underneath to let MT do a double move down the field or if it’s the reverse. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tenner said:

My only concern is if Payton is ready to open up the playcalling that we had in 2006-2011. Winston is perfect for that. It does involve riskier throws down the field. 

What im waiting to see is if Sanders stays underneath to let MT do a double move down the field or if it’s the reverse. 

 

 

all of it comes down to how well Winston has absorbed the playbook.  gotta remember this is a free audition for the Saints too.  they are going to want to see whether or not they want to invest in Winston to be their QB moving forward.  but they have to balance it with their playoff/super bowl goals.  so it seems to me that it is entirely on Winston how much of that playbook will be available to him on Sunday.  if he has shown to have a firm grasp there is a good chance Payton opens it up a little bit to see how Winston performs.

 

as for ATL, yeah their offense is good, but NO also is good on defense, this is a divisional game as well.  so it doesn't automatically mean high scoring.  this could still be a very grind it out type of game.  last year's totals were 44 and 35 and neither team scored more than 26 in either game.  and if memory serves both games were circled to be fantasy football scoring bonanza games.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

looks like Hill’s the starter for now at least

for those who claimed Winston off waivers, are you guys dropping for Hill or holding to see how things play out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JDE said:

looks like Hill’s the starter for now at least

for those who claimed Winston off waivers, are you guys dropping for Hill or holding to see how things play out?

Already dropped him for Hill.  I would have kept Winston if I had the bench space.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, pdizzle710 said:

Wish I had the bench space, but Winston is an easy fade now with this news.

 

Well we don't know how things will go entirely Taysom starting doesn't mean he plays the entire game.  I'd imagine even though Taysom is starting Winston will still get into the game at some point.  He has a much higher upside long term I think Taysom at this point just has a stronger feel for the offense being there longer.  Plus it'll force The Falcons to prepare totally different for this game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, FouLLine said:

 

Well we don't know how things will go entirely Taysom starting doesn't mean he plays the entire game.  I'd imagine even though Taysom is starting Winston will still get into the game at some point.  He has a much higher upside long term I think Taysom at this point just has a stronger feel for the offense being there longer.  Plus it'll force The Falcons to prepare totally different for this game.

Ouch this news makes me not want to start either one. I could see this exact scenario and really it's too risky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Knowing Payton it wouldn't surprise me at all if Hill only takes like 25% worth of the snaps at QB.  I wouldn't trust Hill as a QB.  Here's how I see it:

1.  If Hill is eligible at TE, you play him there, period.  If you have Kelce, play one at TE and flex the other.
[If Hill is not eligible at TE:]
2.  In one QB, don't play either guy as a QB.
3.  In two QB, possibly play Hill if you have nothing else.  I wouldn't feel good about it though.
4.  In superflex, take a hard look at using a 3rd or 4th WR type over any of them.
5.  Start Winston only in the most dire, desperate situations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Winston is a drop, unless your WW is pretty bare. I think Payton looked at his options and decided he was better off just going with Taysom, because his athleticism more than made up for his throwing deficiencies. Probably says alot about Winston. Even if Winston plays he'll just end up in some QBBC where Hill is still getting lots of snaps and stealing TDs. Personally, I think Hill is going to be a fantasy beast and I really wish I'd grabbed him in my superflex league

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This guy probably cost a lot of people some serious FAAB in superflex leagues. Hard to know if he's a drop or not. I suspect he is but I guess it depends on your league/team/needs.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gandalfthecat said:

This guy probably cost a lot of people some serious FAAB in superflex leagues. Hard to know if he's a drop or not. I suspect he is but I guess it depends on your league/team/needs.  

True, I think it is prudent to at least hold one week to see what post-Brees life is like. I guess I should've worded it that he'll be a drop. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KennyWoo said:

“Knowing Payton it wouldn't surprise me at all if Hill only takes like 25% worth of the snaps at QB. I wouldn't trust Hill as a QB. ...”


Coach Payton could be lying, but accordingly, he was asked something to that effect. My understanding is that they’re not going to start the game with gadgetry & then revert to Winston. Hill has taken all the 1st team reps, Winston is not a situational option. I traded for Teddy & picked up Winston, who I have now dropped for Hill. I suppose I’ll feel stupid if he bombs when I could’ve just rolled with Alex Smith, etc. That said, feeling stupid isn’t exactly a sensational I’m unfamiliar with, so... :)

Edited by markrc99
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KennyWoo said:

Knowing Payton it wouldn't surprise me at all if Hill only takes like 25% worth of the snaps at QB.  I wouldn't trust Hill as a QB.  Here's how I see it:

1.  If Hill is eligible at TE, you play him there, period.  If you have Kelce, play one at TE and flex the other.
[If Hill is not eligible at TE:]
2.  In one QB, don't play either guy as a QB.
3.  In two QB, possibly play Hill if you have nothing else.  I wouldn't feel good about it though.
4.  In superflex, take a hard look at using a 3rd or 4th WR type over any of them.
5.  Start Winston only in the most dire, desperate situations.

 

I'd just lock Taysom into the TE slot just in case, that's the work around them removing the eligibility.  Flex the other TE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.