kmoore1521

2020 World Series Thread

Terrible call to remove Snell.

Dave Roberts has got to be feeling good watching some other manager eff up his team's chances of winning the World Series.

I have never ever seen an owner give a speech using notes while accepting the championship trophy.  What the heck was that?  Practice it in front of a mirror until you have it memorized, dude.

So what are the implications of Justin Turner being Covid+ for the rest?  And why wasn't the test back until like the 6th inning?

Let's all wish the Red Sox fans happy financial flexibility.  Who would have thought having the best players was a good strategy?!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I’ll play devil’s advocate...

Snell has a career 4.97 ERA third time through the order. Even in his 2018 Cy Young year, he had a 3.89 third-trip ERA. It’s far from guaranteed he can get through the best lineup in baseball again. The Dodgers are loaded and were probably going to score eventually regardless of who was on the mound for TB.

People love to criticize Cash and the Rays’ methods, but they had the best record in the AL and reached the World Series on a shoestring budget with a bunch of castoff players. They’re getting their decisions right a lot more than most teams.

• Like 1

Just now, SpartyOn4 said:

Snell has a career 4.97 ERA third time through the order. Even in his 2018 Cy Young year, he had a 3.89 third-trip ERA. It’s far from guaranteed he can get through the best lineup in baseball again. The Dodgers are loaded and were probably going to score eventually regardless of who was on the mound for TB.

People love to criticize Cash and the Rays’ methods, but they had the best record in the AL and reached the World Series on a shoestring budget with a bunch of castoff players. They’re getting their decisions right a lot more than most teams.

I mean it's all hindsight is 2020. The Dodgers do this kind of stuff with Rich Hill and others over the years. The computer and game plan said to take him out, but that was pre ordained. He seemed to be cruising and you kind of have to change plans I think.  It's a results oriented criticism, but it seemed like a bad call.  I agree, nobody should be questioning the Rays strategy.  $ for $ they are the best team in the league, I think everyone would agree. 

You can't use career or regular season stats as a straitjacket.  Blake Snell two wins away from the WS title is not the same pitcher as Blake Snell in a typical regular season game.  We don't have the metrics to measure these things, but they exist, just like some closers need the adrenaline of the 9th inning to pitch well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, SpartyOn4 said:

gotcha but one hit, 9 k's, and did anyone in the top 3rd put the ball in play off snell? 76 pitches

also maybe you shouldnt go to a guy thats not throwing the ball well at all.

Edited by colepenhagen
  • Like 2

So disappointed in Kevin Cash right now...

That was Blake Snell's game to lose. He got you to the 6th inning, 0 Runs, 9 K's, 0 BB, and gave up 2.....2 F'N HITS, against a Dodger team that has the best offense in the league. And you took him out for Nick Anderson? Out of all of our relievers, you replaced him with Nick Anderson, whose struggled this entire post season and has given up at least 1 run in each of his last 7 appearances.

Even the f'n Dodgers players were saying WTF?

If Snell gives it up, he gives it up. He got you almost 6 IP of 0 Run ball...It was his game to lose. I get it if he had 90-100 pitches...had had 73.

All-time blunder by Cash, who apparently wanted to do his best Dave Roberts impersonation in Snells biggest game of his life.

As for Dodger fans. Enjoy it. Be Gracious. Be Humble. You were expected to win.

2 minutes ago, CORTEz said:

Never have been, won't start today.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Never have been, won't start today.

Literally about the most "dodger fan" thing you can say. smh.

3 minutes ago, CORTEz said:

Dodgers Danny Devito GIF - Dodgers DannyDevito Fans GIFs

Haters gonna hate, just like when the Lakers won by taking every chance to diminish their win.

• Like 1

Bottom line is and I hated taking Snell out, but Tampa Bay is not even close to being in the Dodgers class, period and the vastly superior team won the world series. Which Rays position player could start for the Dodgers? There is your answer, I count at most 1. 

Edited by kwolf68

1 minute ago, CORTEz said:

Literally about the most "dodger fan" thing you can say. smh.

"Never have been, won't start today."?

Really the most dodger fan thing someone could say? LOL. Ok. 

50 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

gotcha but one hit, 9 k's, and did anyone in the top 3rd put the ball in play off snell? 76 pitches

also maybe you shouldnt go to a guy thats not throwing the ball well at all.

Going to Anderson made zero sense. That deserves more discussion than the Snell pull imo

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kwolf68 said:

Bottom line is and I hated taking Snell out, but Tampa Bay is not even close to being in the Dodgers class, period and the vastly superior team won the world series. Which Rays position player could start for the Dodgers? There is your answer, I count at most 1. 

best team won but I guess Randy in the outfield and Lowe at 2b . Dh wasn’t significantly better. 

2 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

best team won but I guess Randy in the outfield and Lowe at 2b . Dh wasn’t significantly better. 

Dodgers have the superior offense and it wasn't even close. Them adding Betts made them the overwhelming favorites.

I expect TB to take a long look at their lineup going into next season.

But the MLB should watch out...TB's got some hitters coming up, and if they make any kind of offensive splash in the offseason, this team is going to be filthy dangerous.

8 minutes ago, CORTEz said:

Dodgers have the superior offense and it wasn't even close. Them adding Betts made them the overwhelming favorites.

yes I agree with you , the dodgers are better than the rays 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Let's all wish the Red Sox fans happy financial flexibility.  Who would have thought having the best players was a good strategy?!

We are happy, thank you.  Congrats to the Dodgers who are FINALLY not a bridesmaid this time around.  But I don;t envy them their payroll handicap moving forward with Bett's contract.  And Betts would have been a waste on a Red Sox team with no pitching at all and he was definitely NOT going to come back to Boston so I wish him well but am really glad Sox aren't stuck with that contract.  They have enough stupid mega ones to deal with still as it is.

In other news:

Ken Rosenthal said on FS1 late Tuesday that Justin Turner (COVID-19) "insisted upon" being part of the Dodgers' World Series clinching celebration.

Turner was pulled before the eighth inning of Tuesday night's World Series Game 6 win when the Dodgers were alerted that the veteran third baseman had tested positive for COVID-19, but he joined his teammates on the field 20-30 minutes after the final out and even took part in a team photo on the mound. The transcribed television report from Rosenthal: "My understanding from various people is that he was told not to go on the field, or asked not to go on the field. He insisted upon it, the Dodgers insisted upon it, and that is why he was out there. And at one point, he did have his mask off. He was mostly masked, but there was a point during the picture that he did take it off." Rosenthal also stated that "this is not a case of a false positive."

Source: CJ Fogler on Twitter             Oct 28, 2020, 1:23 AM ET

Let us hope the stupidity of Justin Turner's action doesn't end up infecting any of the other Dodgers.  Hope MLB suspends him for it big time.  If any of the other players catch covid from him and end up with long term effects like blood clots in the lungs or brain etc this will be a tragic.

3 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

We are happy, thank you.  Congrats to the Dodgers who are FINALLY not a bridesmaid this time around.  But I don;t envy them their payroll handicap moving forward with Bett's contract.  

You are doubling down on your worst take 

You know who else was a waste on the Red Sox payroll this year? Everyone 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

You are doubling down on your worst take 

You know who else was a waste on the Red Sox payroll this year? Everyone 

Crazy year but it’s always good when the Redsox are stinky.

1 hour ago, MrWannaBee said:

Crazy year but it’s always good when the Redsox are stinky.

I honestly don’t care about the Red Sox losing, but some Red Sox fans on here were so cocky about how bad of a trade the Betts was for the Dodgers that it made them being pathetic and the Dodgers winning the World Series that much sweeter.

I said it before the season started that no team is ever likely(50%+)  to win the a world at the begging of the year. That being said the Dodgers had the best team and that’s always the goal.

They will march into 2021 with the best team and a farm system and player development program much better than the Red Sox too. It’s also a weak feee agency year. 

Anyone who thought the trade was bad got a reality check if they are being honest with themselves. Some are not apparently. 

1 championship justifies every move that got them there and Betts as a huge part of their success this year. Some good laughs in the Red Sox and Mookie threads this morning and forever. It’s crystal clear that some people don’t understand the value of contracts , flexibility, and the economics of winning baseball.

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

I honestly don’t care about the Red Sox losing, but some Red Sox fans on here were so cocky about how bad of a trade the Betts was for the Dodgers that it made them being pathetic and the Dodgers winning the World Series that much sweeter.

I said it before the season started that no team is ever likely(50%+)  to win the a world at the begging of the year. That being said the Dodgers had the best team and that’s always the goal.

They will march into 2021 with the best team and a farm system and player development program much better than the Red Sox too. It’s also a weak feee agency year. 

Anyone who thought the trade was bad got a reality check if they are being honest with themselves. Some are not apparently. 

1 championship justifies every move that got them there and Betts as a huge part of their success this year. Some good laughs in the Red Sox and Mookie threads this morning and forever. It’s crystal clear that some people don’t understand the value of contracts , flexibility, and the economics of winning baseball.

Lol.  The trade was really good.  For the Red Sox.  Betts has the body type that will break down sooner than later and will become the Pujols of the Dodgers as he declines.  Will he have a few more good seasons?  I sure hope so.  But that mega-contract will come back to haunt LA big time.  They will be forced to trade those juicy, young prospects when they can't afford them in a few years because of said contract.  So enjoy the run while you can.  It it clear some people don't understand how baseball cycles through and how mega-contracts or "feeding the beast" as Theo once confessed to leads to lack of long term sustainability.  Thus they don't understand contracts, flexibility and the economics of devastating their team long term.  Again.  Enjoy it while it lasts.  The Dodgers could barely beat TB, a club with one of the lowest payrolls in all of baseball.  The Rays will be contenders for years now.  Not so much the Dodgers.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Lol.  The trade was really good.  For the Red Sox.  Betts has the body type that will break down sooner than later and will become the Pujols of the Dodgers as he declines.  Will he have a few more good seasons?  I sure hope so.  But that mega-contract will come back to haunt LA big time.  They will be forced to trade those juicy, young prospects when they can't afford them in a few years because of said contract.  So enjoy the run while you can.  It it clear some people don't understand how baseball cycles through and how mega-contracts or "feeding the beast" as Theo once confessed to leads to lack of long term sustainability.  Thus they don't understand contracts, flexibility and the economics of devastating their team long term.  Again.  Enjoy it while it lasts.  The Dodgers could barely beat TB, a club with one of the lowest payrolls in all of baseball.  The Rays will be contenders for years now.  Not so much the Dodgers.

Just wow. The salt and continued bad takes here are on another level. For the record, nobody disagrees (even me at the time) that the final some years on the deal will not be good.  They won the ship. Nothing else matters. If the Dodgers turned into this year's pathetic Red Sox and Mookie turns into Pujols next year, they still won that trade (and neither of those things will happen).

The Red sox also had 2x the Rays payroll this year and didn't make an expanded playoffs, so I'm not sure how "barely" beating someone in the World Series is remotely an insult. 

If you say a trade is bad for a team and that team wins the championship because of it, spin it anyway way you want...That's a huge L for you. Sorry.

The Dodgers won't be contenders for years..... ok.  

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Thanks 3