Lamont Sanford

Do You Ignore Trade Offers? If So, Why?

Every league I’ve ever been in has certain owners who seem to simply ignore trade offers. They don’t accept, they don’t reject, they don’t counter. The trade offer just sits there, unresponded to until I eventually withdraw it out of frustration. They certainly don’t send out any trade offers. To them, trading is essentially nonexistent. 

Can any of you relate to this? Are any of you this type of serial non-trader? If so, why? To me, trading is one of the best parts of FF, so it’s difficult to understand why an owner would intentionally ignore that aspect of the game.

• Like 9

People rarely trade in my league. I always respond to offers in some way. There's one other guy in my league who will actually talk trades openly but that's about it. I do find it difficult to get people to agree to "fair" trades, where it feels like both teams are getting something of value. Too often I think people have the mindset that one side has to "win" the trade, and will only send offers that obviously favor them.

• Like 3

Never trade. Don’t feel the need. I have my team for a reason. I see too many people who make trades just to regret them or have injuries ruin them. Yes it could happen both ways but I’ll take my chances with players I actually draft or pick up.

I am in a dynasty league and one dude is constantly texting about trades. Endless. Drives me insane.

I do try to actually reject though.

Edited by dsrich
  • Like 4

Hate trade spammers or folks insist on bad trades in Dynasty leagues. 

Some trade spammers are so bad, I prefer to ignore them. You know, the Owner who keeps sending horrible trades; but, will try to convince you that this is best deal ever. Really, what did I do to deserve such a wonderful gift from you?

Will give a response to a reasonable offer even if I am going to reject it...its only right you know.

I will ignore the trade spammer. 

• Like 3

If it's the kind of guy who just sends scat in every direction on a weekly basis sometimes I'll let it sit in case circumstances in the league make the trade worth making. But this is only for those guys who just don't even look at my roster, and continue to send crap I would NEVER want, and continues to do it to everyone in the league. Sometimes I think such people are just waiting for someone's finger to slip.

Otherwise I give the courtesy of at least rejecting, if not countering or explaining myself.

• Like 5

I mostly can't fathom how people don't have a push notification set in their apps for trades.  You can literally set Yahoo's app to only ping you for trade offers, yet people don't do this and i have to send texts.  Yet probably 80% of the time I make an offer i have to text someone to let them know. 

• Like 1

I always respond, I just think it's common courtesy. I can get trades done, but people are extremely paranoid that they're going to lose a trade. 

What pisses me off is when I offer a trade, the owner rejects it, and then drops the player I wanted to waivers.  

Edited by Silent-Trader
  • Like 4

Depends, owners that I have a solid dealing relationship with then I always respond in rejection with my reasoning and try to find a bridge--even if it is way too low a starting point...I do a lot of trading in leagues and many of them have been around for 10-20 years.

Some owners are just awful with their player values though, I prefer to make them take the time to withdraw their garbage offers.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Proteus said:

If it's the kind of guy who just sends scat in every direction on a weekly basis sometimes I'll let it sit in case circumstances in the league make the trade worth making. But this is only for those guys who just don't even look at my roster, and continue to send crap I would NEVER want, and continues to do it to everyone in the league. Sometimes I think such people are just waiting for someone's finger to slip.

Otherwise I give the courtesy of at least rejecting, if not countering or explaining myself.

This ^^.  I always respond even if I feel the trade request is crazy and I explain why I rejected the offer or I counteroffer.  I feel it's at least the polite thing to do as I get frustrated when people don't respond to my trade requests.  I also find it irritating when people don't even try to explain their rejection or counteroffer.  I get it if you have no desire to trade any of your players, just say so.  Otherwise, if you're open to a counteroffer, say something.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, dsrich said:

Never trade. Don’t feel the need.

I am kind of at this place with it. The first several years I played all I did was constantly trade. I slowly realized over time that probably 90% or more of trades are unnecessary. Trades should be to fill a need on your squad or because you have a surplus of a certain position, not for the sake of it. It also kind of takes the fun out of building my own thing too. It's great to draft and hit on your own players, not somebody else's. I will trade if it makes sense though. I always reject them but occasionally I will decide to think about one and forget to ever go back to it lol. I don't do that too often though.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, The 7th Beatles said:

Only if they're terrible offers then I let them sit there until they expire. 

This, if you're trying to trade rape me don't expect a response.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, dsrich said:

Never trade. Don’t feel the need. I have my team for a reason. I see too many people who make trades just to regret them or have injuries ruin them. Yes it could happen both ways but I’ll take my chances with players I actually draft or pick up.

I am in a dynasty league and one dude is constantly texting about trades. Endless. Drives me insane.

I do try to actually reject though.

People liked this post? Dudes the guy i don't want in my league... have fun doing nothing but waiting

• Like 8

Relationships are big for me too.   I think responsiveness helps foster that, and no badgering of course.  If a guy flat rejects, walk away.  No sales pitches or aggression.   I get insulted when a guy tries to "cmon, you can start both guys and he's good to fill your backfield while Sanders is out".................dude, I know.  There isn't an angle to this trade you can show me that i'm not cognizant of.  

I never ignore them. I first consider what the person is after and why, and will respond accordingly. Sometimes the trade offer makes since in that the player wants something from me that I can afford to let go and get something I need, or at least give me more bench depth in return. Other times, like noted above, it's just players trying to take advantage and offering PFN* (*ref: The Office).

Edited by Blazer

nope. I always reach out and see if I deal can be made. even if the original trade doesn't help my team, sometimes I can talk my way into a sweeter deal.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, hoppychokes said:

This, if you're trying to trade rape me don't expect a response.

Player values vary dramatically from owner to owner. What you see as trade rape might seem like a legit offer to someone else. Why not counter with an offer you think makes more sense instead of the “no response” tactic?

• Like 2

I think most people who ignore trade offers probably don't even notice the trade offer, especially in Yahoo where the default setting is not to give you a notification unless you setit

Just now, Lamont Sanford said:

Player values vary dramatically from owner to owner. What you see as trade rape might seem like a legit offer to someone else. Why not counter with an offer you think makes more sense instead of the “no response” tactic?

They don't vary that dramatically.  If you are attempting to get rid of a player, you also aren't overvaluing them otherwise you wouldn't be trying to trade them.

6 minutes ago, ILuvABGs said:

I always thought this was done out of spite.

A lot of the time it is I think. I've met a lot of managers over the years who believe the only reason another team would even offer a trade is to rip them off. I can kind of see the logic in thinking this a little lol. In my early days of playing I was always looking to get one over haha.

If a trade is decent enough I’ll decline it or even offer a counter trade if I feel like it’s going somewhere.

If a trade is stupid (usually two bums for like an elite RB1) the dude doesn’t deserve my time and I don’t bother countering or declining. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, hoppychokes said:

They don't vary that dramatically.  If you are attempting to get rid of a player, you also aren't overvaluing them otherwise you wouldn't be trying to trade them.

Just because someone is offering a player in trade doesn’t mean they’re “trying to get rid of a player”. It could just be a matter of roster needs. If I’m loaded at WR but thin at RB, offering WRX for RBX doesn’t mean I’m trying to get rid of WRX. But your post speaks volumes in terms of owners being paranoid about “losing” a trade. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

If someone offers a trade and they sincerely believe the trade benefits me as well as him, I will engage.  Those are the best traders.  They make an argument that the trade improves my team and it's not some ridiculous BS.  An example would be trading me CMC for a low end RB1 if I'm 6-1 and he's 2-5, and I have RB depth.  Definitely worth a conversation.

If I get an insulting offer, I don't reject it.  I let it sit there and see if my guy gets hurt or for some reason is much less valuable (i.e. CeeDee Lamb after Dak went down).  Then I accept.  The other owner deserves it, in my opinion, for the crap offer and not remembering it was out there.

I know there is a school of thought that you never start with your best offer, but invariably you are just insulting the other owner's intelligence and he's going to ignore you.  Don't do that.  Offer a fair trade that reasonably makes the other guy's team better and you will get more responses.

Edited by kp96
  • Like 5