Lamont Sanford

Do You Ignore Trade Offers? If So, Why?

Trades are great, should benefit both sides..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hard1 said:

People liked this post? Dudes the guy i don't want in my league... have fun doing nothing but waiting

You talking about me?

4 minutes ago, dsrich said:

You talking about me?

He is ... your move lol 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, mmcc1029 said:

He is ... your move lol 

Haha. Such an absurd reply. “Boohoo nobody trades with me. Kick them out of my league!”

Who cares (many, apparently) if people don’t usually trade? They can do whatever they want with their team. 

@hard1 Sit back and wait for what? That first L? Because I haven’t gotten it yet.

Edited by dsrich
  • Like 3

I prefer to feign interest in terrible trade offers, often replying that i am 'intrigued' by the offer and would like to sleep on it.  Then ghost them most of the next day but text that night asking if offer is still on the table.  Then not respond again till next day but commit to a phone call the next day where you'll pull the trigger live.  Then come up with a barely but kinda plausible excuse why you missed the call.  If I'm extra playful, I will apologize profusely for being a trade tease and counter to make the lopsided offer even more lopsided but just not gonna pull the trigger quite yet.  This goes on for most of the week, right up until I trade their guy to whomever he is playing that weekend.  This is a 25 year old league with mostly original members and it STILL works hook, line, and sinker just about every time!

Edited by Al.Davis
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

I leave trades hanging because the offering team manager may forego making deals that would help while waiting to see if I will accept.

Also, I wait to see if events will cause the offered players to drastically increase in value, at which point I will smash accept.

Finally, I do so because it has been done to me so very often.

4 minutes ago, Al.Davis said:

I prefer to feign interest in terrible trade offers, often replying that i am 'intrigued' by the offer and would like to sleep on it.  Then ghost them most of the next day but text that night asking if offer is still on the table.  Then not respond again till next day but commit to a phone call the next day where you'll pull the trigger live.  Then come up with a barely but kinda plausible excuse why you missed the call.  If I'm extra playful, I will apologize profusely for being a trade tease and counter to make the lopsided offer even more lopsided but just not gonna pull the trigger quite yet.  This goes on for most of the week, right up until I trade their guy to whomever he is playing that weekend.  This is a 25 year old league with mostly original members and it STILL works hook, line, and sinker just about every time!

I got a little jolt of pure bliss reading this post.  Wonderful stuff.  

i responds 95% the time. always put how i view my players and the players im trading for. sure might  be a little sales pitch in there but atleast you know where im coming from and my values. i encourage other owners to do the same so we can atleast get on the same page as to how we each view our players and go from there.

the response i do not like is the amazing if hes so good why are you trying to trade him? that really shows the fantasy football iq of that owner.

if people really cant evaluate a trade and think everyone is out to rip them off then hopefully you arent playing in higher stakes league. i still get that comment above in decent sized cash leagues.

Edited by colepenhagen

Depends on the league. When joining a new league 90% of the offers are garbage bc the established members like to feel out your knowledge. If it's a league I've been in for years, with close friends, then I'll entertain offers bc it's typically legit. I've learned that fantasy is a lot like life, you have to have an established resume to not get low-balled lol. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

this is why owners do this. and its shady and bush league.

Agreed. It’s a high-level of douche-baggery. 

• Like 2

I find that some players either a) don't care about FF much and don't notice trade offers, or b) always reject w/o counter, so I tend to learn who is who and don't really try to trade with certain teams as it's a waste of time (unless they have a huge team need due to byes or injuries, they may be more willing).  I think you should at minimum respond to an offer even if you don't counter.  We have to do waivers/FA pickups, but I can't wait 5 days for you to respond, I need to fill team needs before the next set of games.  I won't leave offers up for very long, as I always worry that the player I'm trying to trade for could get injured in practice and at that point the other manager might click "accept" and that could get messy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gohawks said:

If a trade is decent enough I’ll decline it or even offer a counter trade if I feel like it’s going somewhere.

If a trade is stupid (usually two bums for like an elite RB1) the dude doesn’t deserve my time and I don’t bother countering or declining. 

rude to leave the trade up when you know you won't accept it...just decline it so they can move on.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I hate leagues where there is no trade activity....I've actually dropped from a league because like 10 out of the 12 owners rather lose than trade

On the other hand, my main league is insanely active with trades. Half the fun of fantasy is trying to build a strong team, via trades and waivers....because we all know the draft is a crapshoot.

8 minutes ago, AlexxelA said:

rude to leave the trade up when you know you won't accept it...just decline it so they can move on.

This tactic actually helps build credibility. I'll reject an offer if it's legit but not enough. When someone offers a borderline WR3-4 and a rental RB for the next two week's then I'll let it sit. 

Edited by THall0890
  • Like 1

I trade as much as needed, this season pretty often, and I feel I’m always fair.  I don’t try to lowball and I send notes if needed to explain.  Give respect in that way and keep my “trade rep” strong  

IMO the owners who don’t in our league (only a couple) have either been burned before, or they think someone is trying to screw then and they don’t trust their own FF knowledge enough.  They don’t spend as much time in the weeds of FF so they’re afraid the guy trading knows something they don’t, so they don’t do deals.  

That’s why it’s good to have balanced leagues where all the guys are involved and in the know.  Makes trading and playing much more fun IMO.  And it makes getting a good trade over on someone sweeter as well 🦈🦈🦈

46 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

this is why owners do this. and its shady and bush league.

I employ the above procedure only when presented with an absolutely insult-your-intelligence low ball offer.

Like if the opposing team manager offered his Cole Beasley and Zack Moss for my Davante Adams.

If I have an established relationship with the rival team manager, I will probably respond more quickly to see if a fair trade is possible.

1 minute ago, THall0890 said:

This tactic actually helps establish credibility. I'll reject an offer if it's legit but not enough. When someone offers a borderline WR3-4 and a rental RB for the next two week's then I'll let it sit. 

Still think it's rude.  Maybe they are low-balling a little to establish a starting point for a deal.  They at least deserve a response, unless they offer you a new trade everyday and it's tiresome.  

17 minutes ago, AlexxelA said:

If you offer me David Montgomery and Mike Williams for Kamara you deserve to be slapped across the face. Instead, I just ignore the trade.

So in reality, I’m being extremely nice and generous with my approach. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If it’s a really bad trade offer I will respond with a worse trade offer or just leave it there. If they’re new and the trade offer is bad, then I would decline it. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Klientel said:

I hate leagues where there is no trade activity....I've actually dropped from a league because like 10 out of the 12 owners rather lose than trade

On the other hand, my main league is insanely active with trades. Half the fun of fantasy is trying to build a strong team, via trades and waivers....because we all know the draft is a crapshoot.

Interesting. I always found the opposite to be true. Drafting the skill and relying on FA’s/waivers the crapshoot. Not like there’s anything wrong with either philosophy. 

27 minutes ago, Klientel said:

I think I don't trade as much anymore because I now play in so many leagues. When it was just 2 or 3 I would trade a lot but now that I play in a lot I get shares of everybody I would want. I usually trade when I have a surplus of something.

I just personally hate it when two teams trade WR12 for WR14 or something and the two players in question are both established players and in basically the same range. I'll never understand that.

Edited by Benjamin1984

2 hours ago, kp96 said:

If someone offers a trade and they sincerely believe the trade benefits me as well as him, I will engage.  Those are the best traders.  They make an argument that the trade improves my team and it's not some ridiculous BS.  An example would be trading me CMC for a low end RB1 if I'm 6-1 and he's 2-5, and I have RB depth.  Definitely worth a conversation.

If I get an insulting offer, I don't reject it.  I let it sit there and see if my guy gets hurt or for some reason is much less valuable (i.e. CeeDee Lamb after Dak went down).  Then I accept.  The other owner deserves it, in my opinion, for the crap offer and not remembering it was out there.

I know there is a school of thought that you never start with your best offer, but invariably you are just insulting the other owner's intelligence and he's going to ignore you.  Don't do that.  Offer a fair trade that reasonably makes the other guy's team better and you will get more responses.

Wow such a j cat move if I ever seen one....what u think is insulting may not be to others. So....because what u think is an insulting offer gives u the right to do such a bush move(lurking with ur finger on the accept button if ur player gets a season ending injury)? I would never want guys like u in any of my leagues. I get it...some managers may not have nothing better to do besides sending bunk trade offers as a joke, some guys in my leagues have a reputation of doing so,(like the above poster said, they deserved to get dog slapped) but I usually reject right away and move on or just ignore it. Just think that’s a weak a&$ move to say the least.

Edited by Tomei7

Usually I try to show the "real" value of the players by showing them a url to a trade value chart and outlining the value of the players in question. Use it as a teaching moment and lets them know to send a "fair" trade next offer. I may or may not counter.

Early in my playing days I would like to trade just to trade. All offers received a counter and a word of encouragement to help facilitate the trade. Now if I think me team is set up for short and longer term success, I just reject with a simple note out lining that the trade does not make my team better..