Lamont Sanford

Do You Ignore Trade Offers? If So, Why?

Recommended Posts

In our 16-team league I'd say half of the people don't do trades at all and ignore trade offers. 

But I learned to not even try to trade with them and that's the best solution.

 

But more annoying are the teams that only want trades if they are so lobsided to their side. A few really value the "name" of a player, which really frustrates now that we changed to dynasty.

"Who is AJ Brown?" "Who is Terry McLaurin?" 

Last week a got a DeSean Jackson offer for Terry McLaurin with the note that DJax has proven it for years and McLaurin is unknown.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I honestly don’t understand being “insulted” by a trade offer and therefore refusing to accept/reject/counter. I can understand thinking a trade offer is terrible, but the owner sending the offer likely isn’t trying to rip you off, he simply values his players more than you do, and/or doesn’t value your player as highly as you do. Do you really think an owner would intentionally send you an offer that you’d be insulted by? How would that benefit them? Why would anyone do that? Just reject it or use it as an opportunity to counter with something that helps your team.

Sometimes players just have wildly different potential outcomes and therefore dramatically different values in the eyes if each owner. What about CeeDee Lamb in a dynasty/keeper league? What’s his current value? He’s a top10 dynasty WR in most rankings, looked great from the word go in his rookie season. Then he loses Dak, then Dalton. What’s his value now? Owner A might still value him as a can’t miss top 10 WR for the next 10 years despite the QB concerns, while Owner B thinks it’s over for CeeDee based on his QB situation. So a trade offer involving Lamb between Owner A and Owner B is going to be viewed very differently by each owner. Owner B might think “This guy’s trying to dump Lamb on me”, but owner A thinks Lamb is a Dynasty WR1. It gets even murkier depending on where each owner’s team stands this year. Competing for a Championship? Or rebuilding? 

The point is, don’t think everyone is trying to rip you off all the time. Most trade offers are sent with good intentions, and in the spirit of having fun with this silly hobby. 

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I reject ridiculous trades quickly and tell them not to waste my time...

I see a trade I like, I research and accept...

I see a trade I'm on the fence about, I research more and decide...

Being unresponsive has never occurred to me as an option.

Edited by dfstout
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find that 50 percent of my offers sent turn out to be mistake trades for me. 49 percent of the 50 get rejected. 25 percent of the 49 includes an LOL or are you kidding comment. In other words, owners are so caught up in their own nonsense they miss out on my mistake offers. 

 

P.S. 

If you let a trade sit there to rot that tells us something about your personality. Means you are too prideful, or bratty. If you are insulted by a trade offer then you should not be playing fantasy sports. 

Edited by David Aames
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Tomei7 said:

Wow such a j cat move if I ever seen one....what u think is insulting may not be to others. So....because what u think is an insulting offer gives u the right to do such a bush move(lurking with ur finger on the accept button if ur player gets a season ending injury)? I would never want guys like u in any of my leagues. I get it...some managers may not have nothing better to do besides sending bunk trade offers as a joke, some guys in my leagues have a reputation of doing so,(like the above poster said, they deserved to get dog slapped) but I usually reject right away and move on or just ignore it. Just think that’s a weak a&$ move to say the least.

 

That's fine.  Yes it is a jerk move.  I've never actually done this btw.  It would have to be a "this guy is clearly trying to rip me off" trade offer, not a good faith offer.  You know it when you see it.  Probably should have added that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i just leave them the majority of the time because my time can't be wasted with bullshit.. everyone thinks they are ahead of you with their thought and don't realize you read the same write up as them?? In the leagues I've been the last 10 years, theres always 1 guy trying to swindle the other or just dudes that just throw out bogus **** and then get mad when you don't respond or rebuttal.. give me a fair trade and we'll talk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, BeefDaddy said:

i just leave them the majority of the time because my time can't be wasted with bullshit.. everyone thinks they are ahead of you with their thought and don't realize you read the same write up as them?? In the leagues I've been the last 10 years, theres always 1 guy trying to swindle the other or just dudes that just throw out bogus **** and then get mad when you don't respond or rebuttal.. give me a fair trade and we'll talk

Let me get this straight...you do have time to research players, draft, make waiver wire moves, set lineups, and view trade offers, but your time can’t be wasted tapping “reject”? 
 

It obviously has absolutely nothIng to do with wasting your time. If you’re so worried about wasting your time why are you playing fantasy football at all? Intentionally refusing to respond to a trade offer out of spite is a weird passive-aggressive move that means you take fantasy football way too personally and/or seriously.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

Let me get this straight...you do have time to research players, draft, make waiver wire moves, set lineups, and view trade offers, but your time can’t be wasted tapping “reject”? 
 

It obviously has absolutely nothIng to do with wasting your time. If you’re so worried about wasting your time why are you playing fantasy football at all? Intentionally refusing to respond to a trade offer out of spite is a weird passive-aggressive move that means you take fantasy football way too personally and/or seriously.

 

You've obviously never had that owner in your league who thinks a good trade is one where he upgrades his lineup and destroys yours.  I've literally gotten offers for my RB1 and WR1 in exchange for his RB2 and WR3, and every single ranking has both my guys ahead of his.  I mean, why the f would I ever do Kamara and Julio Jones for Gurley and Amari Cooper (with no Dak!).  Just because Gurley had a big game?  WTF?  I've gotten these types of offers.

It's these situations that ignoring them is fine.  It's not my job to teach this guy how to trade in good faith and I'm not going to waste my time.  At best I'll send him a "stop trying to rip me off" but if he continues to send me these terrible offers, I'm not going to waste one second of my time.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only thing worse than someone who ignores a trade is a manager who you think has ignored your trade but all of a sudden someone gets hurt or blows up in a game that greatly benefits them and they hit accept almost immediately.  There is a cold place in you know where with your name on it and that should be grounds for being booted from you league.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, kp96 said:

 

You've obviously never had that owner in your league who thinks a good trade is one where he upgrades his lineup and destroys yours.  I've literally gotten offers for my RB1 and WR1 in exchange for his RB2 and WR3, and every single ranking has both my guys ahead of his.  I mean, why the f would I ever do Kamara and Julio Jones for Gurley and Amari Cooper (with no Dak!).  Just because Gurley had a big game?  WTF?  I've gotten these types of offers.

It's these situations that ignoring them is fine.  It's not my job to teach this guy how to trade in good faith and I'm not going to waste my time.  At best I'll send him a "stop trying to rip me off" but if he continues to send me these terrible offers, I'm not going to waste one second of my time.

I get bad offers just like that all the time. We all do. Doesn’t bother me in the least. In fact, I appreciate literally every trade offer I receive because it at least tells me this person is open to trading vs some lame owners who simply refuse to participate in trading at all. Any trade offer no matter how bad is an opportunity to improve your team. Ignoring trade offers is wasting opportunities.
 

A terrible trade offer can often be used to your advantage. When I get an offer like that I simply tap “reject” which takes about a millisecond. Then I use the knowledge that the other owner is interested in my player(s) and send a counter offer. I’m happy to go back & forth like this until we agree on a deal that improves both teams. If not, no biggie.
 

Trade negotiations are fun, even when it doesn’t amount to a trade. Trade negotiations can tell you a lot about how an owner values many of his players and yours. Ignoring trade offers doesn’t help you in any way whatsoever. 

Edited by Lamont Sanford
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, jmoney23 said:

The only thing worse than someone who ignores a trade is a manager who you think has ignored your trade but all of a sudden someone gets hurt or blows up in a game that greatly benefits them and they hit accept almost immediately.  There is a cold place in you know where with your name on it and that should be grounds for being booted from you league.

⬆️I agree.....this would be the shadiest of all moves that u can do in fantasy football.

Edited by Tomei7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lamont Sanford said:

Let me get this straight...you do have time to research players, draft, make waiver wire moves, set lineups, and view trade offers, but your time can’t be wasted tapping “reject”? 
 

It obviously has absolutely nothIng to do with wasting your time. If you’re so worried about wasting your time why are you playing fantasy football at all? Intentionally refusing to respond to a trade offer out of spite is a weird passive-aggressive move that means you take fantasy football way too personally and/or seriously.

 

its guys like you who try to trade Melcole Hardman for Parker or Robinson.. you think I should give that manager the time??? How about I let it sit on the burner so that doofus might think ill take the trade? I don't entertain bullshit but will gladly work with people who send real trades. Too many managers think their sly cuz they check the roto forums lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, jmoney23 said:

The only thing worse than someone who ignores a trade is a manager who you think has ignored your trade but all of a sudden someone gets hurt or blows up in a game that greatly benefits them and they hit accept almost immediately.  There is a cold place in you know where with your name on it and that should be grounds for being booted from you league.


Yep, that would be a BS move, and as a commish, I’d probably veto the trade because it was not made in good faith. I’ve actually been in the position of thinking over a trade offer when a player I’d be sending was injured, and I rejected the offer explaining why. You can’t accept an offer after a player you’d be trading gets hurt...I wouldn’t even want a guy like that in my league. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, BeefDaddy said:

 

its guys like you who try to trade Melcole Hardman for Parker or Robinson.. you think I should give that manager the time??? How about I let it sit on the burner so that doofus might think ill take the trade? I don't entertain bullshit but will gladly work with people who send real trades. Too many managers think their sly cuz they check the roto forums lol


If I get a bad offer, I’m the opposite. I’d rather reject it so I don’t have that stupid offer sitting there staring at me and irritating me more. 

This season, I was offered Robbie Anderson for Julio when Julio was hurt. I rejected that stupidity, and the other owner acted offended and called me out for rejecting it in our Discord channel. 

Edited by Flyman75
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's all about leaving the poor trade offeror hanging and preventing them from pursuing other opportunities.

Ignoring a lopsided trade offer is fair game.

If you guys are getting your trade offers ignored, you should start making better offers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, jmoney23 said:

The only thing worse than someone who ignores a trade is a manager who you think has ignored your trade but all of a sudden someone gets hurt or blows up in a game that greatly benefits them and they hit accept almost immediately.  There is a cold place in you know where with your name on it and that should be grounds for being booted from you league.

 

OK, I get the distaste for this.  You're thinking this is happening on a fair trade offer or the other owner is your aunt or something and doesn't know fantasy football.  Certainly, that is horrible.

That's not the case where I think it's fine.  It's when you have that owner in your league who regularly rips people off and gloats about it, and is now trying to do the same to you.  Cutthroat owners who have no problem ruining your season if it means they can win.  Look...if the guy is making a blatantly unfair trade offer, as I posted a few posts above, then why does he deserve any pity if you accept the offer when it swings in your favor?  He should retract his offer before the games start.  If he's gonna leave an opening for me to do what he is trying to do to me, so be it.

Again, I would never advocate doing this on a fair trade or even "sort of" fair trade, and certainly not with an owner who you know is a good guy but starts off negotiations with a lowball just to get things going.  It's for the cutthroat jerk who is always trying to fleece you and knows that he's doing it.  You may not know the type but I do.

Edited by kp96
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

It's all about leaving the poor trade offeror hanging and preventing them from pursuing other opportunities.

Ignoring a lopsided trade offer is fair game.

If you guys are getting your trade offers ignored, you should start making better offers.


The great thing about one league having a Discord channel and my other having a GroupMe page, we can negotiate trades via DMs before sending out an official offer. I never just send a trade offer without DMing the owner first and working out a trade. 

And I’ll add, I’m really surprised at the number of leagues represented here that seem to regularly have owners ripping each other off. If you have an owner sending out lopsided trades and those offers are accepted, then get better owners in your league. The guy trying to rip people off will eventually stop when no one is accepting is moronic offers. None of the leagues I’m has this kind of problem. Sure, I get the occasional offer that is stupid to me, but there’s no epidemic of guys always sending out lopsided offers hoping someone accidentally clicks “accept” or purposefully trying to rip people off. 

Edited by Flyman75
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, BeefDaddy said:

 

its guys like you who try to trade Melcole Hardman for Parker or Robinson.. you think I should give that manager the time??? How about I let it sit on the burner so that doofus might think ill take the trade? I don't entertain bullshit but will gladly work with people who send real trades. Too many managers think their sly cuz they check the roto forums lol

But you already are giving that manager the time when you view and consider the trade offer. How much more time does hitting reject take? Refusing to reply to trade offers as some kind of fantasy punishment or something is just weird. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are many reasons someone may not respond well (or at all) to trade offers.  No matter the reason, it can close some doors for future trading with certain teams who may not want to deal with unresponsive owners.  This probably isn't much of an issue to people who are less invested in FF,  but if you really want to win you should keep those doors open and use offers to counter-offer and try to improve your team.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BeefDaddy said:

 

its guys like you who try to trade Melcole Hardman for Parker or Robinson.. you think I should give that manager the time??? How about I let it sit on the burner so that doofus might think ill take the trade? I don't entertain bullshit but will gladly work with people who send real trades. Too many managers think their sly cuz they check the roto forums lol

He's just saying he responds.  I don't see how you can infer he offers bad deals.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, AlexxelA said:

There are many reasons someone may not respond well (or at all) to trade offers.  No matter the reason, it can close some doors for future trading with certain teams who may not want to deal with unresponsive owners.  This probably isn't much of an issue to people who are less invested in FF,  but if you really want to win you should keep those doors open and use offers to counter-offer and try to improve your team.  

 

Agree, but I'd say that this is one of the reasons people don't respond to offers.  You want to close that door bc you're sick of the guy trying to fleece you.

I would agree that you shouldn't close the door on the first bad offer you get from a guy.  I've had the experience where I got a lowball offer and called that owner (new to the league) and was like "do you think I'm crazy?" and he was like "Ha...no...just feeling you out but I didn't think you would ever do it.  Where do you rank my WRs?"  So sometimes people just think it's the correct negotiating tactic (although it really turns me off). 

Heck, just this week, I had a guy say he needed a WR and I was like "ok, what are you thinking?" and he was like "make me an offer".  I was like "dude...you want something from me, you make the first offer" and he laughed.  We both know it's always best to let the other guy make the first offer.  It was funny but that's just part of trading.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, kp96 said:

 

Agree, but I'd say that this is one of the reasons people don't respond to offers.  You want to close that door bc you're sick of the guy trying to fleece you.

I would agree that you shouldn't close the door on the first bad offer you get from a guy.  I've had the experience where I got a lowball offer and called that owner (new to the league) and was like "do you think I'm crazy?" and he was like "Ha...no...just feeling you out but I didn't think you would ever do it.  Where do you rank my WRs?"  So sometimes people just think it's the correct negotiating tactic (although it really turns me off). 

Heck, just this week, I had a guy say he needed a WR and I was like "ok, what are you thinking?" and he was like "make me an offer".  I was like "dude...you want something from me, you make the first offer" and he laughed.  We both know it's always best to let the other guy make the first offer.  It was funny but that's just part of trading.

 

I agree with your first paragraph.  But offers at least let you know someone is open to trading.  I'll at least name a couple players from their team I'd be interested in, even if they weren't in the trade proposal.  Just give a simple, "I want player X or Y and I'm open to offers but I don't want to trade my players A,B,C, or D.  But feel free to make an offer.  That should keep people from sending junk trades if they know you would only want 1 or 2 of their players.  Makes it so next time they actually offer something you'd be interested in instead of their WR4/5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.