Lamont Sanford

Do You Ignore Trade Offers? If So, Why?

1 hour ago, SharkSwimmer said:

It's all about leaving the poor trade offeror hanging and preventing them from pursuing other opportunities.

Ignoring a lopsided trade offer is fair game.

If you guys are getting your trade offers ignored, you should start making better offers.

I like to keep my trade options as open as possible and don't want to disrespect others (pretend not to notice trades) as a strategy.  It's fine as long as you only let the trade set for a day or two, and you can probably get away with longer if you don't know the person/you don't know if they check their team regularly.  For me, when I offer a trade that sits for 5 days, I no longer offer them any trades b/c I can't wait 1 week for a response, and if they offered me a trade later in the season, I'd maybe return the favor and not be responsive, and I'd want to easily win the trade rather than make a mutually beneficial trade.  It's human nature to help those who help you, or at least are respectful to you.  

Edited by AlexxelA

1 hour ago, Flyman75 said:

Yep, that would be a BS move, and as a commish, I’d probably veto the trade because it was not made in good faith. I’ve actually been in the position of thinking over a trade offer when a player I’d be sending was injured, and I rejected the offer explaining why. You can’t accept an offer after a player you’d be trading gets hurt...I wouldn’t even want a guy like that in my league. 

I was offered OBJ Sunday night...

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, mar111kle said:

In dynasty I hope?

1 minute ago, SharkSwimmer said:

In dynasty I hope?

redraft..informed him that OBJ was injured and I was open for a trade that benefited both sides

Edited by mar111kle

generally in most leagues you have to give up way too much to get people to part from players, its really annoying, i dont even try to trade in most leagues because people get all butt hurt about any offers coming through.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, meekzy said:

generally in most leagues you have to give up way too much to get people to part from players, its really annoying, i dont even try to trade in most leagues because people get all butt hurt about any offers coming through.

For some reason, some people have a mental thing that losing on a trade is the worst thing that can happen to them, and won't trade unless it's a no-brainer deal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AlexxelA said:

For some reason, some people have a mental thing that losing on a trade is the worst thing that can happen to them, and won't trade unless it's a no-brainer deal.

then the no-brainer deal even if you give up a ton to get a player you like... it gets the entire league riled up and they all scream collusion lol. slowly weeding these types of leagues out but they're really common.

Edited by meekzy

No, I like getting trade offers and rejecting them. I hardly ever ignore. I just rejected this one guy three times last week trying to get Aaron Jones and Keenan Allen. I'm like bruh, you can look but you can't touch, but I never said anything. It was implied. The art of the rejection. I'm 6-1 and three points off leading the league in scoring. Why would I go and **** that up?!

Just now, FitzMagic said:

No, I like getting trade offers and rejecting them. I hardly ever ignore. I just rejected this one guy three times last week trying to get Aaron Jones and Keenan Allen. I'm like bruh, you can look but you can't touch, but I never said anything. It was implied. The art of the rejection. I'm 6-1 and three points off leading the league in scoring. Why would I go and **** that up?!

acting like this when someone is trying to better their team is so weak lol, counter offer or just tell him you're not interested in trades right now, acting like an adult is usually a good way to react to people sending out offers, who knows maybe throw keenan allens name out there and try to sell him high for extra depth to someone who needs to win now. 

• Like 1

My main league implores a very active trade culture, to which  I agree with @Lamont Sanford makes it the most enjoyable.  Trading is my favorite aspect of FF.   However to reach that level of enjoyment one needs proactive group of willing counterparts.   

IMO, Leaving trades unattended lacks courtesy, while driving down the activity culture and morale of the league as a whole.  Worse are owners who elect to berate offers, rather than sculpting creative counters/alternatives.  None of these behaviors lend themselves to leagues that I'd enjoy personally.  

I've often compared trading to ordering at a restaurant.  Waitstaff doesn't present an endless selection of meals to the table in hopes that the customer agree to eat one.  Thats a waste of time and resources.    Nor is "food" the response to the question "What would you like to order".  Trading is a back and forth process of specifics being outlined, which requires effort from both parties,  rather than basic broad strokes.    

Interesting feedback and choice of topic thread from all.  

Edited by F@ndemonium
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, meekzy said:

then the no-brainer deal even if you give up a ton to get a player you like... it gets the entire league riled up and they all scream collusion lol. slowly weeding these types of leagues out but they're really common.

True.  I hate vetos, but I got vetoed early this year.  Michael Thomas for McLaurin + DJ Moore!  Guess which side was ripping off the other?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, meekzy said:

I was in a league like this a few years back. Notice I said “was”. I traded a stud for multiple low-end but high potential starters. I needed players due to injuries and poor play. I lost the trade in terms of value and the league was furious. Ultimately, the trade helped me win the championship. The league never got over it so I quit. Actually, it was the best trade I ever made lol.

Moral of the story....you don’t always need to win a trade. Just get the player that you want that fits your team

Edited by nonstopfan
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Thrill22 said:

how long does it take to qualify as "ignore"?

Lots of variables.  But when people log in to add/drop/waiver/set lineup, you can get a good idea if they are ignoring you.  If it's 48 hours I almost always assume they are ignoring me.  

15 hours ago, drisser said:

People rarely trade in my league. I always respond to offers in some way. There's one other guy in my league who will actually talk trades openly but that's about it. I do find it difficult to get people to agree to "fair" trades, where it feels like both teams are getting something of value. Too often I think people have the mindset that one side has to "win" the trade, and will only send offers that obviously favor them.

1) I think part of it is the fact that most host sites offer free teams now. That has really diluted the waters in terms of active fantasy owners. Too many just show up for the draft then never check their team again. 

2) I never understood the owners that just draft and refuse to make trades (or at least try to) throughout the season. I mean, what's the point of even playing in league with "real" people. Why not just draft and run a simulation? And I agree with you that people seem gun shy about making trades because they're so caught up in "winning" the trade. On the flip side, in multi-league years some owners seem to have too long of a memory when it comes to trading. For example, if they ended up on the wrong side of a trade with someone three years ago they're still hesitant to make a trade with that person. I just don't get that mentality. 

The one piece of advice I can offer everyone is to make sure you check the standings and the other team's construction before you offer them a trade. For example, if they're really thin at RB don't offer them a trade for their one good RB. Take the time to find trading partners that complement your strengths and weaknesses. Like the OP poster trade it's not about winning or losing a trade, it's about whether or not the trade makes your team better. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AlexxelA said:

On the flip side side, some owners are the exact opposite and offer you one sh*t trade after another. That's equally frustrating and frankly kind of sad to me. They just offer trade after trade after trade hoping to find that one owner who isn't as knowledgeable who accepts one of their one-sided offers. Then they passively aggressively post the terrible trade on a message board like this one hoping for people like us to sing their praises. A psychologist would have a field day with these owners. 

8 minutes ago, AlexxelA said:

Lots of variables.  But when people log in to add/drop/waiver/set lineup, you can get a good idea if they are ignoring you.  If it's 48 hours I almost always assume they are ignoring me.  

gotcha.  I think there are a couple factors here.  first, if the offer is just awful, to the point of insult, there is no point in even having decency to decline.  Second, at least in one of my leagues, there are a couple guys that are in their late 40s, and ive actually had to give them step by step instructions on how to check a trade on the mobile app (obviously it depends on the platform used), so it could be that they just dont know how to look for the offers. Third, for me I usually like to see practice reports, waiver transactions, injury news, etc.  so it may take a couple days.

all that being said, usually its a dick move to ignore a trade

• Like 1

In terms of ignoring trade offers... If it’s a stupid trade but I highly respect the owner, I may let it marinate a little before declining. I try to make it at least seem that I at least put some effort into looking into it.

I may not respond to an offer if it has peaked my interest and I don’t know where to go with it at the moment. So in this case ignoring it may not be a bad thing. 

15 hours ago, Silent-Trader said:

What pisses me off is when I offer a trade, the owner rejects it, and then drops the player I wanted to waivers.  

I do that sometimes. If I don't see a realistic match between our teams for a counter, I might just reject the offer and drop the guy because I prefer player x on the ww to whatever I could get in a deal. 

And heck, sometimes I'll send lowball offers to guys on the cusp of being dropped, hoping it'll get rejected but the owner will end up holding onto the player and clogging their roster a little while longer.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Thrill22 said:

gotcha.  I think there are a couple factors here.  first, if the offer is just awful, to the point of insult, there is no point in even having decency to decline.  Second, at least in one of my leagues, there are a couple guys that are in their late 40s, and ive actually had to give them step by step instructions on how to check a trade on the mobile app (obviously it depends on the platform used), so it could be that they just dont know how to look for the offers. Third, for me I usually like to see practice reports, waiver transactions, injury news, etc.  so it may take a couple days.

all that being said, usually its a dick move to ignore a trade

Did you just unintentionally imply that people in their 40s are elderly? Shots fired my man!

25 minutes ago, meekzy said:

acting like this when someone is trying to better their team is so weak lol, counter offer or just tell him you're not interested in trades right now, acting like an adult is usually a good way to react to people sending out offers, who knows maybe throw keenan allens name out there and try to sell him high for extra depth to someone who needs to win now. 

Well look, he was trying to trade me CEH, OBJ, and Henderson. The only interesting player he has is Kelce and I already have Kittle. I make it am effort to offer to people i think would benefit from a trade. Not try and destroy someone;s team. Meaning, bad records or teams with major injuries that could be looking for help.

Edited by FitzMagic

What I've gathered through reading through some of the responses is that a majority of people are d-bags who let trade offers sit if they deem them unacceptable.

I get it, people offer stupid trades. I usually screenshot them and send them to others in the league for a good laugh or even back to the sender to laugh and/or discuss it. Maybe they are sending it to get feelers and are open to a better offer, or maybe they are just clueless and sending horrible offers. Either way, letting it sit there because you're "offended" by the offer and think that the sender they should have to use their energy to hit the cancel button out of spite is both pathetic and childish.

I'm sure you've once sent a trade that the recipient didn't like. Should they let it sit there and never address it because they didn't like the offer?

Be an adult. Hit the reject button and move on.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, mar111kle said:

Exactly.  There are jerk owners out there who don't deserve pity.

If your opponent is dumb enough to leave a trade offer open for days in this ever-changing landscape, that's on them.

For instance, if they had offered Tevin Coleman for a kicker before the news that Jeff Wilson went to IR and Coleman might be active this week?  A crap offers turns to gold and smash accept.

• Like 1

We all met that kind of owners who try to trade the player they intend to drop later like he is a unique diamond, there is no way you can trade with those guys with a trade you both win. Bettet let them wait before they hit you with another stupid trade