Lamont Sanford

Do You Ignore Trade Offers? If So, Why?

8 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

Did you just unintentionally imply that people in their 40s are elderly? Shots fired my man!

Seriously, wtf?  People in their 40's grew up with cell phones and know how to use them.  It's not the age....his league mates are idiots.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

Did you just unintentionally imply that people in their 40s are elderly? Shots fired my man!

haha, I actually meant it in a way that - even young folks have tech issues; that some platforms do not make it easy to view trade offers.

1 minute ago, egolam said:

We all met that kind of owners who try to trade the player they intend to drop later like he is a unique diamond, there is no way you can trade with those guys with a trade you both win. Bettet let them wait before they hit you with another stupid trade

I used to get real annoyed when someone would offer me a player, i would decline, and then he'd drop him to the waiver.  But then I figured....it's not so bad.  I mean, if he is a player that I want and would drop another player for, I offer that player I would drop to get him on waivers.  It's like a free pickup for both of us with no risk of being outbid.

5 minutes ago, kp96 said:

Seriously, wtf?  People in their 40's grew up with cell phones and know how to use them.  It's not the age....his league mates are idiots.

We didn't quit grow up with smart phones, but I've certainly had one for 20+ years. Now if you were talking about 70+ year old league mates...

someone offered me trubisky and 3rd round rookie pick for deandre swift in dynasty superflex. are people seriously this deluded?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, meekzy said:

acting like this when someone is trying to better their team is so weak lol, counter offer or just tell him you're not interested in trades right now, acting like an adult is usually a good way to react to people sending out offers, who knows maybe throw keenan allens name out there and try to sell him high for extra depth to someone who needs to win now. 

You know, the premise here that I disagree with is that an owner is morally obligated to engage in trade discussions, simply because the other owner wants to.  Why is that the case?

Look, if someone wants to trade with me, he needs to make it worth my while. 

Every fantasy owner will engage in trade talks if he can see that his team may be improved.  If you're going to come to me to improve your team with my guys, then make a case as to why your deal is good for me too.  I'll listen.  But these out-of-the-blue ridiculous offers?  Why am I obligated to respond to you?  That's not how you approach me.  I'm not a charity and I couldn't give a rat's a** if you like my players.  You need to come to me with a reasonable transaction that helps me, then I will give you plenty of time to work something out with me.

Instead of throwing out some offer, why not text me and say "hey, i'm looking for WR help, is there anyone on my team that you like?"  Something like that.  That's always welcome.  But just chucking an offer that helps you and hurts me?  You're wasting my time and I have better things to do.  Sorry.  Try again.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

What I've gathered through reading through some of the responses is that a majority of people are d-bags who let trade offers sit if they deem them unacceptable.

I get it, people offer stupid trades. I usually screenshot them and send them to others in the league for a good laugh or even back to the sender to laugh and/or discuss it. Maybe they are sending it to get feelers and are open to a better offer, or maybe they are just clueless and sending horrible offers. Either way, letting it sit there because you're "offended" by the offer and think that the sender they should have to use their energy to hit the cancel button out of spite is both pathetic and childish.

I'm sure you've once sent a trade that the recipient didn't like. Should they let it sit there and never address it because they didn't like the offer?

Be an adult. Hit the reject button and move on.

Adults do not acknowledge childish ploys.  It is not my job to hit the reject button when you send a ridiculous offer.

This is for public leagues where you do not know the person involved.  For leagues with friends, I would always respond, no matter the offer.

Something like "I am not looking to move Swift at this time," if the offer is McKinnon or an injured Drake for my Swift.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Adults do not acknowledge childish ploys.  It is not my job to hit the reject button when you send a ridiculous offer.

This is for public leagues where you do not know the person involved.  For leagues with friends, I would always respond, no matter the offer.

Something like "I am not looking to move Swift at this time," if the offer is McKinnon or an injured Drake for my Swift.

I don't send "ridiculous offers". In fact, I'm a proponent of discussing trades through text informally to see if anything materializes rather than sending formal offers through the platform.

I don't have the time or interest to play in all these public leagues with strangers, so can't relate there. However, I do believe that if someone offered me a trade offer that I'm not fond of, I'd avoid being petty and be mature enough to just reject it and move on without countering.

Edited by ThreadKiller
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, kp96 said:

You know, the premise here that I disagree with is that an owner is morally obligated to engage in trade discussions, simply because the other owner wants to.  Why is that the case?

Every fantasy owner will engage in trade talks if he can see that his team may be improved.  If you're going to come to me to improve your team with my guys, then make a case as to why your deal is good for me too.  I'll listen.  But these out-of-the-blue ridiculous offers?  Why am I obligated to respond to you?  That's not how you approach me.  I'm not a charity and I couldn't give a rat's a** if you like my players.  You need to come to me with a reasonable transaction that helps me, then I will give you plenty of time to work something out with me.

Instead of throwing out some offer, why not text me and say "hey, i'm looking for WR help, is there anyone on my team that you like?"  Something like that.  That's always welcome.  But just chucking an offer that helps you and hurts me?  You're wasting my time and I have better things to do.  Sorry.  Try again.

you aren't morally obligated to respond, he said he finds enjoyment in getting offers and rejection because he's 6-1. as if he's too good to be in trade discussion because he's leading the league in scoring. that's a weak mindset to have and is too common, this is fantasy football its supposed to be fun, people take it so serious their enjoyment on sundays is tied to winning or losing in fantasy lol.

Edited by meekzy

11 minutes ago, dannyz6969 said:

someone offered me trubisky and 3rd round rookie pick for deandre swift in dynasty superflex. are people seriously this deluded?

Next time you get an offer like that while sitting at your computer, you should open a box of spicy cheez-its to snack on and lean back in your chair while not addressing the trade AT ALL! Just let it sit there and don't use up any energy in declining it! That'll show 'em!

Sarcasm not directed at you, Danny...Just in general lol.

10 minutes ago, kp96 said:

I agree that trades through text are much better because it can be a conversation. But not everyone does that or is open to it so trade offers get sent. My train of though is "I'm not interested and who cares about being petty and trying to make a point by letting it sit there. Just reject it and be done with it. Once you open the offer, your time has already been "wasted". By not rejecting the offer you don't like, you're making a clear choice to be petty and I just think that's pointless nonsense.

5 minutes ago, meekzy said:

you aren't morally obligated to respond, he said he finds enjoyment in getting offers and rejection because he's 6-1. as if he's too good to be in trade discussion because he's leading the league in scoring. that's a weak mindset to have and is too common, this is fantasy football its supposed to be fun, people take it so serious their enjoyment on sundays is tied to winning or losing in fantasy lol.

Agreed. Anyone who takes it so seriously that they specifically make a choice to let a trade offer that they don't like sit there out of efforts to be petty needs some help...Just relax, decline the trade you don't like and MOVE ON.

Trade offers are subjective anyway, some are more ridiculous than others of course, but you don't necessarily know the mindset behind the offer. And I say this as someone who doesn't make formal offers unless it's been agreed to already through a conversation.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

Agreed. Anyone who takes it so seriously that they specifically make a choice to let a trade offer that they don't like sit there out of efforts to be petty needs some help...Just relax, decline the trade you don't like and MOVE ON.

Trade offers are subjective anyway, some are more ridiculous than others of course, but you don't necessarily know the mindset behind the offer. And I say this as someone who doesn't make formal offers unless it's been agreed to already through a conversation.

Name checks out. You've absolutely killed this thread with logic. Shame on you! Please move on to the AB thread now.

Edited by FitzMagic
  • Haha 2

Just now, FitzMagic said:

Name checks out. You've absolutely killed this thread with logic. Shame on you!

I just think it's silly to have it bother you. Don't like an offer? Decline and move on.

I have someone in a league I'm in who sends what some may call as silly offers, but his rationale (flawed, I know) is that it's just to get the conversation going. I've suggested just send a text rather than such a silly offer but whatever. Point is, you don't know the other person's angle and I just think it's childish to go out of your way to let the trade sit there without declining it if you aren't interested.

1 minute ago, ThreadKiller said:

I agree that trades through text are much better because it can be a conversation. But not everyone does that or is open to it so trade offers get sent. My train of though is "I'm not interested and who cares about being petty and trying to make a point by letting it sit there. Just reject it and be done with it. Once you open the offer, your time has already been "wasted". By not rejecting the offer you don't like, you're making a clear choice to be petty and I just think that's pointless nonsense.

I get what you're saying but it's not totally pointless.  If you don't respond, then the other owner will typically get frustrated and (hopefully) stop sending you bad offers.  This is a plus if the guy is just trying to steal from you all the time.  If you reject, you're at least communicating to the guy that you are reading his offers, and he may continue to send ridiculous offers.

I would never ignore an owner that I know I could work something out with, even if he sends me a bad trade.  For me to not even bother rejecting it, it means I have just given up ever wanting to trade with this owner.  There are a couple guys in my regular league who I don't bother with because they always have to win a lopsided deal.  They don't make offers to me anymore, and that's how I like it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kp96 said:

I get what you're saying but it's not totally pointless.  If you don't respond, then the other owner will typically get frustrated and (hopefully) stop sending you bad offers.  This is a plus if the guy is just trying to steal from you all the time.  If you reject, you're at least communicating to the guy that you are reading his offers, and he may continue to send ridiculous offers.

I would never ignore an owner that I know I could work something out with, even if he sends me a bad trade.  For me to not even bother rejecting it, it means I have just given up ever wanting to trade with this owner.  There are a couple guys in my regular league who I don't bother with because they always have to win a lopsided deal.  They don't make offers to me anymore, and that's how I like it.

And god forbid you ever get a trade offer that you don't like. Whenever that happens, be careful looking out the window because the world would clearly be ending!

It's poor strategy to completely cut off communication with people in your league with regards to potential trade partners because you never know...

I'm sure if Bill Belichick received bad offers from a particular GM, he would just start screening his calls rather than politely declining them. Everyone knows that's the most mature, effective way to do business!

Edited by ThreadKiller

Just now, kp96 said:

imagine sending someone 2 trade offers and you found out later he posted about it on a forum, noting how unworthy you are to even offer him and how much enjoyment he got in rejecting your silly offer because he's the king of the league. who's the real dbag in this situation? lmao.

10 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

It's poor strategy to completely cut off communication with people in your league with regards to potential trade partners because you never know...

It's not poor strategy if you have been in the same league with the owner for years and you have never once been able to get a trade done with him bc he way overvalues his guys and undervalues yours. 

This is not something I do right away.  It takes a while for me to completely give up on an owner.  But once I know that he is just completely ridiculous, it's better to cut him off.  It's annoying to get trade offer alerts and look at them, and see some garbage offer from him.  So, silence from him is a win.

21 minutes ago, meekzy said:

imagine sending someone 2 trade offers and you found out later he posted about it on a forum, noting how unworthy you are to even offer him and how much enjoyment he got in rejecting your silly offer because he's the king of the league. who's the real dbag in this situation? lmao.

Hahaha touche. I'm sure a lot of folks do that here judging by their responses on the topic.

11 minutes ago, kp96 said:

It's not poor strategy if you have been in the same league with the owner for years and you have never once been able to get a trade done with him bc he way overvalues his guys and undervalues yours. 

This is not something I do right away.  It takes a while for me to completely give up on an owner.  But once I know that he is just completely ridiculous, it's better to cut him off.  It's annoying to get trade offer alerts and look at them, and see some garbage offer from him.  So, silence from him is a win.

You are talking about an isolated situation with (1) owner and using that as a rule of thumb. Haha ok.

To the bolded part. You must be bummed out a lot then. I know when I see a trade offer alert and I don't like it, I get really really mad and start banging the table and walls. It's SOOOO annoying and aggravating, I mean how dare they? How dare anyone offer me a trade in fantasy football that I don't want to accept. How dare they?!

Just now, ThreadKiller said:

You are talking about an isolated situation with (1) owner and using that as a rule of thumb. Haha ok.

To the bolded part. You must be bummed out a lot then. I know when I see a trade offer alert and I don't like it, I get really really mad and start banging the table and walls. It's SOOOO annoying and aggravating, I mean how dare they? How dare anyone offer me a trade in fantasy football that I don't want to accept. How dare they?!

Please.  Stop trying to turn this into something it's not.  Like I said, where is it written that I need to bother with a guy who is trying to rip me off?  Where is it written that I owe him the courtesy of a reject?

You are trying to make a generalization that there is never a situation where you should ignore a trade offer.  That's false.  Plenty of situations where it's perfectly acceptable to do it.  If the owner is a jerk, for example.  If the owner offers you OBJ after he tears his ACL, as someone posted earlier.  I don't owe owners like that anything.

I would agree that most of the time, you should probably respond to a bad offer, especially if you want to possibly trade with the guy later on.  Not responding is rude.  But your assertion that you should always respond is wrong.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, hard1 said:

People liked this post? Dudes the guy i don't want in my league... have fun doing nothing but waiting

I have respect for the outlook, but yeah I don't want to play in a league with a bunch of people with that outlook.

Life isn't static.  Neither is sports.  Stuff changes literally all the time.  Why let it stay stagnant instead of looking for every possible opportunity to make it better?  If you just wanted to root for a specific set of players all the time just become a fan of a team and watch the game.  IMO fantasy sports with a bunch of arbitrary Draconian rules on roster moves, leagues with owners who don't want to follow trends and analyze them to make judgements and changes to their team etc. is boring as heck and rewards apathy, and takes what was already a primarily luck based game and removes any skill at all beyond what you have before you're playing with live ammo.

But that's JMO.

• Like 2

I like FF because it's fun to be actively managing a team, including making skillful trades.  That said, it's rare to find a good offer that benefits both parties.  My current league is a 10 team dynasty league and a couple of us make offers nearly weekly.  Unfortunately, most guys don't even notice so I have to text them (we all know each other).  If I don't, they just sit there despite the guys actively managing their teams.  It'd be nice to get some guys in the league that are more inclined to trade.

"hey I like your lambo, do you want to trade it for my honda civic and some gas cards"

these are the people you ignore, if they have a decent offer then lets talk -- but its not on me to "hit reject" when buddy thats sending the trade, knows its garbage... but then gets offended cuz you don't hit reject.. LOL snowflakes... people are so offended these days its ridiculous. Do you think maybe the person isn't responding to your trade cause its ****? Be a big boy and cancel it yourself.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, kp96 said:

Please.  Stop trying to turn this into something it's not.  Like I said, where is it written that I need to bother with a guy who is trying to rip me off?  Where is it written that I owe him the courtesy of a reject?

You are trying to make a generalization that there is never a situation where you should ignore a trade offer.  That's false.  Plenty of situations where it's perfectly acceptable to do it.  If the owner is a jerk, for example.  If the owner offers you OBJ after he tears his ACL, as someone posted earlier.  I don't owe owners like that anything.

I would agree that most of the time, you should probably respond to a bad offer, especially if you want to possibly trade with the guy later on.  Not responding is rude.  But your assertion that you should always respond is wrong.

No one said it's written anywhere specifically and no one said you "owe" anyone anything, but I'm sure with some effort and due diligence you'll figure it out. It's called being a human being. What a brilliant mindset to choose to be spiteful "Well I don't owe anyone anything!". Haha ok, dude.

No worries though, difference of opinions. You prefer to be spiteful and hold onto trade offers in FANTASY FOOTBALL irritating you enough to the point that you choose to be spiteful and purposely not decline a trade. I just think that's hilarious.

Decline it and move on. There are better things to be bothered about lol.