Rotoworld.com Forums

Do You Ignore Trade Offers? If So, Why?

7 minutes ago, BeefDaddy said:

"hey I like your lambo, do you want to trade it for my honda civic and some gas cards"

these are the people you ignore, if they have a decent offer then lets talk -- but its not on me to "hit reject" when buddy thats sending the trade, knows its garbage... but then gets offended cuz you don't hit reject.. LOL snowflakes... people are so offended these days its ridiculous. Do you think maybe the person isn't responding to your trade cause its ****? Be a big boy and cancel it yourself.

Let's revisit who the "snowflake" or "big boy" in this scenario really is.

-Person A send out an offer that he THINKS is a good offer. Has no knowledge of how pissed off the other owner is and simply goes on with his day.

-Person B loses his mind and gets so bothered that his precious time was wasted on the trade alert he received so chooses to be petty and spiteful by not declining said offer and lets it sit there as a pending offer because he wants the sender to "use their own energy to decline it".

Hint, it's person B and yes, you're right, people get so offended these days it's ridiculous.......

Edited by ThreadKiller
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

this is why owners do this. and its shady and bush league.

Every league I’ve ever been in has certain owners who seem to simply ignore trade offers. They don’t accept, they don’t reject, they don’t counter. The trade offer just sits there, unresponded to unti

People liked this post? Dudes the guy i don't want in my league... have fun doing nothing but waiting

1 hour ago, ThreadKiller said:

I don't send "ridiculous offers". 

Since your offers seem to be getting ignored quite a lot based on your responses in this thread, maybe the offers you are sending are, in fact, ridiculous.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I don't even get what the complaining is about if the guy doesn't reject your offer.

I've made offers that were not responded to.  It's one of 2 things - 1.) He hasn't seen the offer yet or 2.) He's not interested.

So, if you haven't heard back, just follow up.  Maybe he's been busy.  If you try to get a hold of him and he still does not respond then...well...just rescind the offer and see if you can get help from another owner.

Why is this such a big thing?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I respond to every trade offer regardless of how bad it can be. You never know when you'll need that person for a trade that year or in future years.  Building good fantasy relationships is very important. If you ignored them then they can be spiteful back when you need it the most. If you ignore trades then go play in a non trade league

• Like 6
5 minutes ago, Eaglesflyhigh11 said:

I respond to every trade offer regardless of how bad it can be. You never know when you'll need that person for a trade that year or in future years.  Building good fantasy relationships is very important. If you ignored them then they can be spiteful back when you need it the most. If you ignore trades then go play in a non trade league

Nobody disagrees with this in principle, but the dissenters here are saying that there are some owners who you don't need to have a relationship with.  Like the previous poster who got offered OBJ after OBJ blew his knee, in hopes that he hadn't seen the news.  If I got that offer, I would literally never trade with that guy ever.

Can we just agree that, in a normal functional league with decent owners, that it is always appropriate to respond and reject trade offers, but that there are times when its totally fine to ignore someone?

• Like 2
4 hours ago, kp96 said:

Agree, but I'd say that this is one of the reasons people don't respond to offers.  You want to close that door bc you're sick of the guy trying to fleece you.

I would agree that you shouldn't close the door on the first bad offer you get from a guy.  I've had the experience where I got a lowball offer and called that owner (new to the league) and was like "do you think I'm crazy?" and he was like "Ha...no...just feeling you out but I didn't think you would ever do it.  Where do you rank my WRs?"  So sometimes people just think it's the correct negotiating tactic (although it really turns me off). 

Heck, just this week, I had a guy say he needed a WR and I was like "ok, what are you thinking?" and he was like "make me an offer".  I was like "dude...you want something from me, you make the first offer" and he laughed.  We both know it's always best to let the other guy make the first offer.  It was funny but that's just part of trading.

Absolutely this. A guy in my league this morning knows I’m looking for FAAB and need WRs. I said I was listening. He said he was interested in my three best players. Well, obviously. Then he said he would do a deal involving...his three disposable bench guys. I laughed in his face, he immediately said Diggs and Kupp were available and we were negotiating.

When you’re in a league when people know each other and what they’re doing, you’re often going to get early bullshitting banter to kick things off. Maybe I think JRob is going to fall off a cliff, or Singletary is going to explode. You never absolutely know. Once we get that shite out of the way, though, we can properly negotiate.

Responding is just polite, and fun. The only time I think you should not respond is when somebody is clearly just firing out a million trade offers in the hope that something sticks without actually thinking about what I might want. Happens from time to time - like say if I have 2QBs and he’s trying to trade me Cousins etc. Do me the courtesy of thinking about what I might want, and I’ll do you the same courtesy.

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

Let's revisit who the "snowflake" or "big boy" in this scenario really is.

-Person A send out an offer that he THINKS is a good offer. Has no knowledge of how pissed off the other owner is and simply goes on with his day.

-Person B loses his mind and gets so bothered that his precious time was wasted on the trade alert he received so chooses to be petty and spiteful by not declining said offer and lets it sit there as a pending offer because he wants the sender to "use their own energy to decline it".

Hint, it's person B and yes, you're right, people get so offended these days it's ridiculous.......

you're right... that guy really thought his honda civic (frank gore) + gas cards (desean jackson) would be a fair trade for my lambo (cook)... so spiteful of me to let him think I was going to maybe accept the trade
"he hasn't cancelled it yet!! theres still a chance!"

ps. damn all those person B's

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, BeefDaddy said:

you're right... that guy really thought his honda civic (frank gore) + gas cards (desean jackson) would be a fair trade for my lambo (cook)... so spiteful of me to let him think I was going to maybe accept the trade

if it's a proposal that's blatant and totally one-sided by the other party I'll just reject and counter with something equally one-sided and unfair. Usually they get the point and send a better offer back or they get the point and don't send anymore offers like that. Really one-sided offers against me sitting in my "accept/reject" box always stress me out a little bit, like having an unexploded land mine in your front yard. I'm very paranoid that I'll somehow accidentally navigate to the trade page then accidentally accept the trade. I'd rather just get that radioactive proposal out of there. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
7 minutes ago, BeefDaddy said:

Nice analogy man. Talk about something not worth responding to.......

2 minutes ago, yossarian said:

if it's a proposal that's blatant and totally one-sided by the other party I'll just reject and counter with something equally one-sided and unfair. Usually they get the point and send a better offer back or they get the point and don't send anymore offers like that. Really one-sided offers against me sitting in my "accept/reject" box always stress me out a little bit, like having an unexploded land mine in your front yard. I'm very paranoid that I'll somehow accidentally navigate to the trade page then accidentally accept the trade. I'd rather just get that radioactive proposal out of there. 

I agree with this.

Yes, I think there are some dumb trade offers out there and they aren't worth the time. My point is just criticizing the idea thought that some in here have the view of "how dare they send me this and waste my time?! I'll show them! I'm not going to reject it, I'm going to let it sit there out of spite!" I just think that's a silly way to think. 

3 hours ago, Thrill22 said:

gotcha.  I think there are a couple factors here.  first, if the offer is just awful, to the point of insult, there is no point in even having decency to decline.  Second, at least in one of my leagues, there are a couple guys that are in their late 40s, and ive actually had to give them step by step instructions on how to check a trade on the mobile app (obviously it depends on the platform used), so it could be that they just dont know how to look for the offers. Third, for me I usually like to see practice reports, waiver transactions, injury news, etc.  so it may take a couple days.

all that being said, usually its a dick move to ignore a trade

I wouldn't like to have a pending trade sit on my team page for weeks and weeks...it's like not swiping away a notification on your phone and just leaving it there for days, personally it is annoying to have there.  out of curiosity, if you just left a trade and the sender didn't cancel it, and your player(s) who they wanted to trade for got bad injuries, would you still just leave the trade there or would you then accept or decline it?

Here’s a question for the trade ignorers-

If someone sends you a trade and you refuse to respond because you think it’s so bad, wouldn’t the other owner assume you’re actually interested in the offer and considering accepting as opposed to trying to fantasy punish them? Wouldn’t your punishment actually be sending the opposite signal? You’re not rejecting it, so the offer must be good enough for you to still be contemplating it. Your refusal to reject may actually be encouraging more similarly bad offers. How is the other owner supposed to distinguish legit contemplation from fantasy punishment?

• Thanks 3
5 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

If someone sends you a trade and you refuse to respond because you think it’s so bad, wouldn’t the other owner assume you’re actually interested in the offer and considering accepting as opposed to trying to fantasy punish them? Wouldn’t your punishment actually be sending the opposite signal? You’re not rejecting it, so the offer must be good enough for you to still be contemplating it. Your refusal to reject may actually be encouraging more similarly bad offers. How is the other owner supposed to distinguish legit contemplation from fantasy punishment?

I want them to think that I am going to accept their ridiculous proposal.  I want them to think that for as long as possible.

For leagues I know everyone, I do respond and counter for all the good reasons mentioned.  Even if the deal is not there, it is enjoyable to speak to another knowledgeable team manager about value of players, who is on the upswing, who is going to crash back down to earth, and the like.

If someone sends me an offer that is no where near a conversation starter and is just flat out ridiculous, I'll always reject.

Howeverrrr, I'll always counter and offer my kicker for their best player lol. This way if they come back and say anything then they won't have any ground to stand on. Most of them don't say a word because they know how awful the original offer was.

Just one way to have fun with it and flip it back around on these people that basically send out a horrible trade to every owner in the league hoping someone doesn't know what they're doing. 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

If he's not responding, assume he is at best minimally interested.  If he is highly interested, he will get back to you so that you don't trade the player to someone else.

If you're not sure, try to contact him again.  If no response, move on.

No sense in trying to read his mind.  A non response does communicate something to you.

Its really just about maturity. If you are an immature person you get upset,bothered,offended, and ultimately are entitled to offers that you think are good offers. Its that simple fellas.  This isnt rocket science. So all you snowflakes out there who do weird obsessive things like ignore offers on purpose, counter w bogus offers on purpose, whine, biotch, and moan , etc etc...please take a second to grow up a little. 

7 minutes ago, mmb0163 said:

If someone sends me an offer that is no where near a conversation starter and is just flat out ridiculous, I'll always reject.

Howeverrrr, I'll always counter and offer my kicker for their best player lol. This way if they come back and say anything then they won't have any ground to stand on. Most of them don't say a word because they know how awful the original offer was.

Just one way to have fun with it and flip it back around on these people that basically send out a horrible trade to every owner in the league hoping someone doesn't know what they're doing. 

Exactly! I couldn’t agree more. Have fun with it!

No reason to be petty, just have fun with it since it’s fantasy football and move on.

8 minutes ago, kp96 said:

If he's not responding, assume he is at best minimally interested.  If he is highly interested, he will get back to you so that you don't trade the player to someone else.

If you're not sure, try to contact him again.  If no response, move on.

No sense in trying to read his mind.  A non response does communicate something to you.

A non response doesn’t communicate anything effectively.

37 minutes ago, AlexxelA said:

out of curiosity, if you just left a trade and the sender didn't cancel it, and your player(s) who they wanted to trade for got bad injuries, would you still just leave the trade there or would you then accept or decline it?

I would guess that most here who are all about letting it sit there out of spite would 100% accept it and their reasoning would be that “the other party should have canceled it.”

25 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

I want them to think that I am going to accept their ridiculous proposal.  I want them to think that for as long as possible.

Ok, let me see if I understand...

You think the offer is ridiculous, and you don’t like receiving ridiculous offers, so in an effort to dissuade people from sending you ridiculous offers you employ a tactic by which you feign contemplation thus convincing the sender of the ridiculous offer that it wasn’t ridiculous at all, but in fact an offer worthy of your contemplation.

Edited by Lamont Sanford
  • Thanks 1