Lamont Sanford

Do You Ignore Trade Offers? If So, Why?

Play with trash people you get trash trades.

Congrats to everyone in here for admitting it.

• Haha 1

So many soft owners.  Its a dang trade offer it shouldn't offend you just reject it or ignore whatever just move on.  No need to get upset over.  

Also trade value can change quite drastically on a week to week basis.  I've offered the same fair trade only to be rejected 3 straight weeks for that same owner to come back and offer the trade to me once he finally realized what was good for him.  It happens.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Rotocious said:

So many soft owners.  Its a dang trade offer it shouldn't offend you just reject it or ignore whatever just move on.  No need to get upset over.  

Also trade value can change quite drastically on a week to week basis.  I've offered the same fair trade only to be rejected 3 straight weeks for that same owner to come back and offer the trade to me once he finally realized what was good for him.  It happens.

Also, player values vary wildly depending on how an owner perceives a given situation. Therefore, trade offers can be viewed very differently based on those perceptions.

For example, CeeDee Lamb. Many dynasty rankings have Lamb as a top 10 WR. In keeper/dynasty leagues the Lamb owner would be justified in viewing Lamb as a high value dynasty WR1. At the same time, some owners might view the Dallas QB situation as a death knell for Lamb.

Neither is “right”, only time will tell. So any keeper/trade offer involving Lamb will be viewed very differently depending on how an owner views him/his situation. If the Lamb owner still views him as that dynasty WR1, and sends an offer to an owner who’s of the opinion that Lamb is screwed forever because Dak got hurt and therefore Lamb is trash, then that trade offer is obviously going to be viewed quite differently between the owners involved. The owner who thinks Lamb is done and fails to consider that another owner might have a differing opinion will  say the offer is trash and punishable by the intentional ignore. Meanwhile, the owner who still believes in Lamb and sent the offer is simply left in the dark, unaware of the punishment because he/she is completely justified in thinking the offer is fair, and pending acceptance. I bet most “ignore-worthy” trade offers are simply a difference of opinion on the players involved.

Will Fuller is another example. He’s having a great season, very consistent, and currently a WR1 in most leagues I imagine. Yet many owners refuse to accept it, insisting he’s still a boom-bust WR3. Fuller owners are completely justified in valuing him as a WR1, because that’s what he is, and what many were expecting when they drafted him this year. Therefore it’s virtually impossible to trade a guy like Will Fuller based on the massive gap in perception. A trade offer involving Fuller is likely punishable by ignore to some of you despite being a legit offer based on current factual value.

Edited by Lamont Sanford
  • Like 1

I will respond to each offer and let them know the deal breaker, if not accepting. Then depending on my interest and my teams needs I will counter and see where the talks lead. 

It can be annoying to receive "bad" trade offers but I always think about how everyone values players differently. 

On 10/26/2020 at 9:35 PM, pbjfb said:

I think most people who ignore trade offers probably don't even notice the trade offer, especially in Yahoo where the default setting is not to give you a notification unless you setit

It's pretty easy to know if they are intentionally ignoring or are the inactive / casual owner not noticing them.  If they make other moves such as player adds with your offer hanging, that obviously means they are ignoring the offer.

I think some offers seem to be ignored but not always out of inactivity or out of spite.  Some people are naturally risk-averse to making fair trades because they want to "win" every trade by a landslide or they are risk-averse or afraid to appear like the loser of a trade, and they are too hesitant and lack the confidence to make a decision. 

The owners who view every trade as a win / lose proposition, instead of a win-win that benefits both teams, I am convinced are ignoring simply to gain some sort of an advantage, such as their guy getting injured in practice so they can quick hit accept and hope it doesn't get vetoed.  I have often sent offers that the other guy "wins" on paper because I have a specific team need, and even those kinds of trades where the other guys "wins" are deliberately ignored until they expire or I cancel out of frustration.

In public leagues my strategy is to try to send multiple simultaeous offers because so many owners won't trade for the reasons outlined above, or simply ignore offers, but in yahoo for example the limit is 6.  I don't take it personal it only gets annoying when 6 trades are being ignored at the same time because I have to wait for one of them to decline.

Edited by El_Chingon

I always get bad offers. One guy in our league sends out 1-2 offers per team per week, I think hoping someone will just accidentally hit ‘Accept’. But I ALWAYS respond. You never know which of his offers will be the bad one that actually favors you by mistake.

16 hours ago, Lamont Sanford said:

If the telemarketer was legitimately in possession of something I desire, something I’ve had my eye on, and open to an interesting negotiation that could lead to my acquiring that which I desire at a fair price, I’d be happy to pick up the phone and talk. Understanding, of course, that the telemarketers first offer is never his or her best, but merely a necessary means of opening the dialogue through which the reward is ultimately attained.

I am talking about a telemarketer that does not have anything I want and is simply bothering me.  A telemarketer that is selling drugs to me that could be made anywhere.

Yes, another owner has players and likely has something I need, but if that guy 1.) is constantly trying to rip me off or 2.) is just a jerkwad when trading i.e. "Julio is always injured and never gets in the endzone.  I've got Mapletron who is definitely going to outproduce him so lets trade straight up.  I'm doing you a huge favor."  or 3.) you have never ever ever been able to get a fair offer from this guy.  At this point, he is no better than a telemarketer and ignoring him is completely cool.

And again...if your offers are being ignored....maybe...just maybe...your offer sucks?

I ignore offers but I have never ignored an offer that was good for my team.  Or at least close and I figured "this guy is worth trying to work something out with".

I ignore the ridiculous offers.  Maybe take a look at what you're doing instead of whining about a non-response.

Or....follow up.  Maybe fantasy is your entire life but there are plenty of people who only play casually.  They may not have seen it.

Edited by kp96
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1