Sign in to follow this  
Richard Kimble

Justin Turner 2021 Outlook

How many games is Big Man Fred Rob gonna suspend Tormund Giantsbane to begin 2021??? I expect a 14-day quarantine imposed on JT to begin 2021. What say ye?

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Hanghow said:

Zero

I'll take the over...frankly a suspension of some sort should be handed down to Roberts as well. I'm sure there are provisions within the bubble agreement that allow the commissioner to impose a suspension for breaking Covid protocols, and there's no love lost between the two.

• Like 1

The first test was an inconclusive result and the game was played anyway.  I think Manfred has some explaining to do.

I'll take the over...frankly a suspension of some sort should be handed down to Roberts as well. I'm sure there are provisions within the bubble agreement that allow the commissioner to impose a suspension for breaking Covid protocols, and there's no love lost between the two.

What are you basing this on? Remember when the Marlins had COVID tests come back positive and MLB told them "play if you feel like it..."? The Players Association will absolutely fight a suspension if it's for an incident after a baseball game where there were not explicit protocols in place and agreed to between the players and owners, and I sincerely doubt those exist.

3 minutes ago, Hanghow said:

What are you basing this on? Remember when the Marlins had COVID tests come back positive and MLB told them "play if you feel like it..."? The Players Association will absolutely fight a suspension if it's for an incident after a baseball game where there were not explicit protocols in place and agreed to between the players and owners, and I sincerely doubt those exist.

Sure about that?

• Like 1

I had this take in the World Series thread but thing it should be here instead:

I hope Turner gets a serious suspension...like half the 2021 season. He likely consciously made the decision to ignore the rules because he knows whatever slap on the wrist he will get from ignoring them will be worth it to celebrate with his teammates. So athletes like him can make that choice and put others in harms way but regular citizens can't travel from NY due to travel restrictions?...The double standard and the entitlement that idiots like Justin Turner has is frustrating.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Richard Kimble said:

Not saying I disagree because I guess I don't know all the details but why is Roberts at fault here?

Edited by ThreadKiller

1 hour ago, dan said:

Sure about that?

The word "doubt" implies a lack of certainty.

This could probably be taken either way. I think the key phrase is "The Commissioner's Office.... will consult with the Players Association", so yes, I still doubt that he is suspended.

He deserves some sort of suspension it seems, no doubt. Pretty egregious from what it seems from the details we know. Hope nobody else got sick because of it.  Sometimes I put myself in the position of an athlete in a difficult decision and sometimes I genuinely don't know what I do.  Here?  Pretty confident that despite the moment and this being everything I've worked my entire career for, I would have just sat back in the locker room and celebrated by myself.  It''s an easy call, shame he didn't make it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"Refused to comply with MLB Security"

how can they not discipline him? seems pretty cut and dry, especially in todays climate

I wouldn't think the MLBPA wants to come out defending a guy for endangering many while breaking COVID protocols, that'd be a baaaaaad look

• Like 2

What a dickhead. From saying no to security, to taking off his mask right next to cancer survivor Dave Roberts, to going around hugging people and kissing his wife, that was pretty disgraceful by Turner.

MLB and the Dodgers org bear much of the responsibility for letting him play after an inconclusive test. It's obvious that they pushed for game 7 to stay on schedule, and prayed that the final game of the season could go on without a hitch. Manfred should step down, but I think we all know that's not gonna happen.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

So athletes like him can make that choice and put others in harms way but regular citizens can't travel from NY due to travel restrictions?...The double standard and the entitlement that idiots like Justin Turner has is frustrating.

Not justifying anything Turner did, but I live in a big city, and thousands of people regularly put other people in jeopardy every single day without any consequences in their disregarding of social distancing. If anything, the standard for Turner is much higher because he's on television and famous, and rightfully so.

2 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Not justifying anything Turner did, but I live in a big city, and thousands of people regularly put other people in jeopardy every single day without any consequences in their disregarding of social distancing. If anything, the standard for Turner is much higher because he's on television and famous, and rightfully so.

There's also the fact that Turner KNEW he was COVID positive and still was out there taking off his mask and hugging people. That's pretty low, and doesn't really compare to people who have no idea if they have COVID. imo, of course.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, atrium said:

There's also the fact that Turner KNEW he was COVID positive and still was out there taking off his mask and hugging people. That's pretty low, and doesn't really compare to people who have no idea if they have COVID. imo, of course.

That's true. Good point. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

But the situations you’re talking about aren’t against orders or a rule on the same magnitudes though. For example, I don’t think disregarding a suggestion (not requirement) to wear a mask to the grocery store is on the level of Turner purposely breaking a rule. I personally don’t see how there is a comparison.

I agree with the higher standard thing however I also think that there is more leniency bc he’s an athlete. Kind of double edged sword. He’ll only get a slap on the wrist and he knows it which is why he did it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ThreadKiller said:

I agree with the higher standard thing however I also think that there is more leniency bc he’s an athlete. Kind of double edged sword. He’ll only get a slap on the wrist and he knows it which is why he did it.

Are people being jailed or fined for going out knowingly with Covid in the real world? If it's a non paid suspension, that's going to cost him a decent amount of change. Much more show than Joe Schmo leaving his apartment knowing he has Covid and going into public buildings or whatever. 

17 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Are people being jailed or fined for going out knowingly with Covid in the real world? If it's a non paid suspension, that's going to cost him a decent amount of change. Much more show than Joe Schmo leaving his apartment knowing he has Covid and going into public buildings or whatever. 

I don’t think they are comparable situations at all though, man. Not even close.

I don’t see security guards stopping people who they know to be COVID positive as they enter the grocery store to adhere to the already agreed upon rules for those people to then ignore them and do as they wish as the same as doing what Turner knowingly did.

I just think people casually going out into the real world where nothing is a hard cast rule is not in the same realm as Turner’s purposeful situation.

EDIT: what would your suggestion be? Clearly Turner thinks it’ll be hardly anything which is why my he made the selfish decision in the first place.

I’m confident in saying they if security told me I had to be quarantined and could NOT do something and I ignored it and did would I wanted, there would likely be harsh penalties. 

Edited by ThreadKiller
  • Like 1

The part I have the problem with is the first test being inconclusive the previous day. The results of the second test wasn't known for over 24 hours later. At the point that test was known to be inclusive safety proctocals should have had him pulled the previous day and tested immediately and till the results of the second test were known he shouldn't have been on the field.

• Like 1

[ Let's get things focused on things that materially affect Turner's 2021 fantasy outlook here, folks. Speculation about the possibility of suspension, the duration, etc. is relevant, but what you think should happen from a moral/justice standpoint isn't. ]

He's only 35 and had a 140 wRC+ this season.  Someone's going to give him a 3 year deal, and I can't imagine him not taking it.

• Haha 1

I'll guess 10 games and a fine. I wouldn't expect anything more than that. Apparently some Marlins players violated the protocols in July. Never heard about any suspensions, though. But, the multiple reports of Turner refusing to go along with what security wanted won't help him.

Edited by dan

9 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

He's only 35 and had a 140 wRC+ this season.  Someone's going to give him a 3 year deal, and I can't imagine him not taking it.

I have a strong suspicion this is going to be a historically cold (relatively speaking, of course) offseason for free agents. With layoffs and furloughs already happening I'd guess we see a lot of players accepting one-year deals hoping to try again in 2022 when some degree of normalcy should return.

• Like 2