Sign in to follow this  
Richard Kimble

Justin Turner 2021 Outlook

Recommended Posts

Maybe MLB should wait to see how test results on all the Dodgers pan out after today, and then suspend Turner one week for every positive test. I know they want, and it’s not even a reasonable thing to do. But it would make a point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, meh2 said:

I have a strong suspicion this is going to be a historically cold (relatively speaking, of course) offseason for free agents. With layoffs and furloughs already happening I'd guess we see a lot of players accepting one-year deals hoping to try again in 2022 when some degree of normalcy should return.

 

I can see that happening.  However, let's also remember that there was no minor league ball this season, meaning teams don't have the same pipeline of talent to fill their rosters that they might have had otherwise.  Maybe Turner doesn't get the AAV his hitting profile would normally dictate, but the fact that teams are furloughing people doesn't mean they're losing money or in danger of losing money.  I think he gets and takes a deal along the lines of 3/30.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dan said:

I'll guess 10 games and a fine. I wouldn't expect anything more than that. Apparently some Marlins players violated the protocols in July. Never heard about any suspensions, though. But, the multiple reports of Turner refusing to go along with what security wanted won't help him.

Marlins players were pulled after they tested positive. Were some of them jerks?  Yeah. But once they and their fellow players they infected tested positive they didn't step on the field with or without a mask until they passed the protocols.

Also the Dodgers were in the MLB "bubble" which was suppose to be even more disciplined.

Then add the fact that this happened in the World Series with every single national news media showing his idiotic action on TV.  It was headlines on all these outlets. it just wasn't some ESPN story.  He gave a black eye to baseball and defied orders to stay off the field.  And all the news reports pointed out he took his mask off sitting next to Dave Roberts who was identified on all these broadcasts as a cancer survivor.  This is way worse than the Marlins or even the Cards.  Ten games and a fine but be an insult and an injustice.  This guy should face a massive suspension.  Maybe all of 2021.  Given his age if that happened his career may well be over.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Marlins players were pulled after they tested positive. Were some of them jerks?  Yeah. But once they and their fellow players they infected tested positive they didn't step on the field with or without a mask until they passed the protocols.

 

An internal investigation conducted by Major League Baseball into the Miami Marlins' COVID-19 outbreak revealed that the players did not follow the agreed-upon protocols during a trip to Atlanta for an exhibition game, according to Scott Miller of Bleacher Report. The players were found to have engaged in risky behavior, such as congregating at the hotel bar and going out.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-investigation-finds-marlins-players-failed-to-follow-coronavirus-protocols-on-atlanta-trip-per-report/

 

10 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Also the Dodgers were in the MLB "bubble" which was suppose to be even more disciplined.

Then add the fact that this happened in the World Series with every single national news media showing his idiotic action on TV.  It was headlines on all these outlets. it just wasn't some ESPN story.  He gave a black eye to baseball and defied orders to stay off the field.  And all the news reports pointed out he took his mask off sitting next to Dave Roberts who was identified on all these broadcasts as a cancer survivor.  This is way worse than the Marlins or even the Cards.  Ten games and a fine but be an insult and an injustice.  This guy should face a massive suspension.  Maybe all of 2021.  Given his age if that happened his career may well be over.

I don't know what you'd consider massive but I'd bet against a suspension that long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Players don’t even get a full year for slapping their girlfriends around.  Turner isn’t getting a year.  He could retire tho unless the dodgers pony up and bring him back.  Going to be tough sledding for FA.  Retiring on top ain’t all that bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Players don’t even get a full year for slapping their girlfriends around.  Turner isn’t getting a year.  He could retire tho unless the dodgers pony up and bring him back.  Going to be tough sledding for FA.  Retiring on top ain’t all that bad.

 

Retiring on top and leaving money on the table while still good? Doesn't happen often. The last two players I remember actually retiring when they were still pretty great were Mo and Papi.  They had much longer and lucrative careers. Both more championships too. Hall of famers.

I can understand a fighter going out on top.  No reason to risk years off your life for money you don't need.  

But baseball?  Pretty much everyone plays until they are sub average.  Unless it's not fun for him anymore (which I see no reason to assume), I expect him back in the majors next year, likely for the Dodgers, but potentially for someone else. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mr Turner cost himself a lot of money. At best he is looking at a 1 year contract prorated whatever his suspension is. At least he didn't seem to infect his teammates thank god. If he had infected everybody on the field he would be looking at jail time and not MLB punishment. The NL if they don't have the DH this year will cramp the FA market even further especially for the older guys like Justin Turner. On second thought it is prolly the Dodgers or retirement since few other teams would want someone who knowingly and willfully tried to infect their teammates just to celebrate.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/28/2020 at 6:29 PM, Flyman75 said:

Maybe MLB should wait to see how test results on all the Dodgers pan out after today, and then suspend Turner one week for every positive test. I know they want, and it’s not even a reasonable thing to do. But it would make a point. 

Is the point they'd be making that they f'd up not taking this seriously until after the season was over? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look, I get the inclination to throw Turner under the bus, but it'd just be a**-covering by the Dodgers and the league. 

1) Suppose the dodgers have COVID cases arise from this. How do u know they're a result of Turner's decision to celebrate and not the league's decision to play the game knowing he had a pending test? 

2) Why aren't players and coaches following very basic precautions and wearing masks? Flouting mask and distancing guidelines was the kindling and Turner may have provided the spark, but you still need both elements to start a fire. 

Turner was being irresponsible, but so was everybody else. Anybody who gets COVID at this point while not wearing a mask really has nobody to blame but themselves. MLB should be looking inward at why every necessary protocol fell apart in the national spotlight. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do we have any timeframe on when a suspension will come down (or if there will even be one)? I'd imagine this could impact any contract he signs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys guys guys... Blake Treinen says that MLB is scapegoating Justin Turner and he had asked if he was allowed out on the field... O-: WHO COULD HAVE PREDICTED THIS!?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/blake-treinen-defends-justin-turner-for-celebrating-with-dodgers-despite-covid-19-diagnosis/ar-BB1aEYIY?ocid=uxbndlbing

I continue to not think he will be suspended.

Edited by Hanghow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In retrospect why was he even still at the stadium? isolation quarters should have been available somewhere closeby. IF any MLB official said sure go ahead break quarantine it was still Justin's Turner sole responsibility to not infect anybody. Maybe after the last out and the season was over the logic was Covid can't be transmitted? Heck they should have just let him play the last 2 innings if that was his official quarantine. I do think he will be suspended. Prolly for a whole month although I don't think any real team would waste a roster spot on him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could see Manfred saying something along the lines of the covid agreement only extended through the baseball season, and once the final out of the WS happened whatever Turner did was out of their jurisdiction because the season was over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hailfire4 said:

In retrospect why was he even still at the stadium? isolation quarters should have been available somewhere closeby. IF any MLB official said sure go ahead break quarantine it was still Justin's Turner sole responsibility to not infect anybody. Maybe after the last out and the season was over the logic was Covid can't be transmitted? Heck they should have just let him play the last 2 innings if that was his official quarantine. I do think he will be suspended. Prolly for a whole month although I don't think any real team would waste a roster spot on him.

Dodgers will take him back gladly on a short term deal, he's still money in the playoffs. A whole month in a full MLB season (162 games) is nothing lol. Turner's test supposedly came back inconclusive, yet the MLB did not delay the game and proceeded with Turner being allowed to play. Now did this happen while Turner was in the bubble or did he leave the bubble for a certain amount of time during the World Series. In the NBA any player who went out of the bubble for any given time had to be quarantined upon returning to be able to rejoin the team. Overall, this was handled poorly by the MLB and Manfred. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Justin Turner is the one who would have to live with infecting anyone. There are no winners in this story but Turner is the one who would have infected those he claimed to be his friends. Even now the dodgers are pretending that Turner is not totally at fault. It is by sheer luck that turner didn't infect his teammates period. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So much for being suspended for a year and retiring because he's old as suggested in this thread 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[...]

Quote

Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that the Dodgers organization has five positive COVID-19 tests.

This disclosure comes just 10 days after the Dodgers captured their World Series title -- and had Justin Turner leave quarantine and return to the field to celebrate with his teammates after he had tested positive for COVID-19. It's unclear if Turner is included in the five to test positive. It was announced earlier on Friday that Turner would not face any disciplinary action from Major League baseball for breaking those COVID-19 protocols.

Source: USA Today   Nov 6, 2020, 6:52 PM ET

[...]

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed fantasy irrelevant editorializing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[ Posts removed.  Take the arguing about the moral implications of Turner's / The Dodgers' MLB's actions elsewhere. ]

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Minyvonne Burke of NBC News reports that the Dodgers are now up to nine positive COVID-19 tests within their organization -- with one family member testing positive as well.

    Bob Nightengale of USA Today reported Friday that there were five positive tests in the organization, and now that total has ballooned to nine. There's still no word on the identities of the positive tests and how many of them are players. 

    SOURCE: NBC News
    Nov 7, 2020, 7:37 PM ET
     
  •  

Turner (and the Dodgers) already look bad. But, Manfred is also starting to look bad for the way he handled this situation. 

Hopefully, all of the nine recover quickly without any problems.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.