Sign in to follow this  
DerrickHenrysCleats

Bo Jackson 2020 Outlook

3 minutes ago, aMediumPace said:

Fun Fact: In high school, Bo Jackson didn't start for the varsity football team until his Senior year. He spent his first three years backing up Frank Gore.

Gore was actually recruited for Notre Dame, but Rockne just couldn't close the deal - the allure of Miami was too great 🤷‍♂️

Edited by pastorofmuppets2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

Gore was actually recruited for Notre Dame, but Rockne just couldn't close the deal - the allure of Miami was too great 🤷‍♂️

True story. Red Grange talked about it in his memoirs. They were very close

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

Bo needs to pipe the eff down, no one gives a chit. 

👎

One poster said Night Train Lane and Ronnie Lott couldn’t play in this NFL. I’d also say the same for Lawerence Taylor not to mention the Steel Curtain. 
So yeah Bo has a point perhaps a little exaggerated but true.

Let’s face it the NFL wants offense. It benefits the lucrative fantasy market and gambling. Any rules skewed against the defense they are for. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Adam Gase would still find a way to give Gore half the touches and make Bo a borderline ~RB2/3.

1 hour ago, YoungDro said:

Classic "back in my day" nonsense you hear from Jordan stans in NBA circles all the time.  Both the average NFL and elite NFL athletes are way more athletic nowadays vs. his era.  Defensive schemes are more complex too.  

The classic “there’s no way yesteryear players could compete today” from the young guys. Bo was an elite athlete back then, and he would be today, as well. He was 6’1” 225-230 with redonkulous speed, so it’s not like he’d wilt if he’d been born 30 years later. And he’s right...the tackling sucks today. Who gives a crap about bigger-stronger-faster when you’re a lazy tackler. 

3 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

220 yards on 1 carry!

Derrick Henry approves of this play.

More than that lol. Started on his own 1, ran to the opponent’s 2yd line, ran all the way back to the opposite end zone, then ran back and scored. That’s almost three full football fields. So...that would be 295 yards? 

8 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

The classic “there’s no way yesteryear players could compete today” from the young guys. Bo was an elite athlete back then, and he would be today, as well. He was 6’1” 225-230 with redonkulous speed, so it’s not like he’d wilt if he’d been born 30 years later. And he’s right...the tackling sucks today. Who gives a crap about bigger-stronger-faster when you’re a lazy tackler. 

Bo is even one of those guys, like Herschel Walker who you could just pull from the 80s/90s and drop them in 2020 and they'd still be good.  Walker looks like he can still play today at 50+!  Give them professional training like the athletes of today and they'd be top players like they were, it's all relative.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Illusion_J said:

Bo is even one of those guys, like Herschel Walker who you could just pull from the 80s/90s and drop them in 2020 and they'd still be good.  Walker looks like he can still play today at 50+!  Give them professional training like the athletes of today and they'd be top players like they were, it's all relative.  

Agree 100 percent. 

2 hours ago, YoungDro said:

Classic "back in my day" nonsense you hear from Jordan stans in NBA circles all the time.  Both the average NFL and elite NFL athletes are way more athletic nowadays vs. his era.  Defensive schemes are more complex too.  

Shaq did not dominate MJ and Hakeem.  MJ and Hakeem did not dominate Bird and Magic.

I'd consider Shaq a modern elite athlete.

11 minutes ago, trojans888 said:

Shaq did not dominate MJ and Hakeem.  MJ and Hakeem did not dominate Bird and Magic.

I'd consider Shaq a modern elite athlete.

If we're defining modern day athlete, it would have to be someone who grew up with advanced training and nutrition techniques.  The type who would drink a protein shake after a game instead of a beer.

Even if Shaq came up through that time period, pretty clear he didn't choose to benefit from it.  NBA centres is a hard comparison to make.  A centre that is 7 foot tall with high end athleticism is so rare that a lot of these guys like Shaq can just roll out of bed and be stars.

I think the proper belief is if you took someone like Johnny Unitas and dropped him in 2020, he wouldn't be that good.  But if you let him grow up in this era he'd be a star.

Edited by Illusion_J

3 hours ago, Justinrlstn said:

I have a lot of nostalgia for Bo Jackson, but I don't know, its a different era.  I think the NFL is bigger, stronger and faster then when he played. Plus everything is committee now, with QB throwing almost every play. Going to be hard to get all that yardage when he isn't handed the ball.   

I do agree with the second part as it's simply a fact. Bo would probably have to work on his pass pro and catching out of the backfield to reach his full potential in today's game. 

That said, I get the bigger, stronger, faster idea, but you'd be hardpressed to find a better athletic specimen in the entire league right than Bo. 

1 hour ago, Flyman75 said:

Bo was considered a big back in his day.

King Hendry is 4 inches taller and 20 pounds heavier 👀

3 hours ago, coleporter said:

One poster said Night Train Lane and Ronnie Lott couldn’t play in this NFL. I’d also say the same for Lawerence Taylor not to mention the Steel Curtain. 
So yeah Bo has a point perhaps a little exaggerated but true.

Let’s face it the NFL wants offense. It benefits the lucrative fantasy market and gambling. Any rules skewed against the defense they are for. 

Nah. Talent is talent, especially at that elite elite level. Those guys were all-world hall of famers, especially LT. They would've figured out how to excel within the rules as they are now and would have been dominant today just like they were then. There just wouldn't have been as many concussions, and maybe they would've had longer careers. 

Also Bo would dominate any period. Dude was an alien. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by yossarian
  • Like 5

29 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Bo would be considered a big back today. And Henry is an anomaly...just like Brandon Jacobs was, lol. 

Just now, Flyman75 said:

Bo would be considered a big back today. And Henry is an anomaly...just like Brandon Jacobs was, lol. 

Kinda true, brandon Jacobs won't make the Hall of Fame though.

4 hours ago, UMFLADFWM said:

For reference...

Games Rushing Receiving Total Yds      
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Rush Yds TD Lng Y/A Y/G A/G Rec Yds Y/R TD Lng R/G Y/G Touch Y/Tch YScm RRTD Fmb AV
Career       38 23 515 2782 16 92 5.4 73.2 13.6 40 352 8.8 2 27 1.1 9.3 555 5.6 3134 18 11 24
1987 25 RAI FB 34 7 5 81 554 4 91 6.8 79.1 11.6 16 136 8.5 2 23 2.3 19.4 97 7.1 690 6 2 5
1988 26 RAI FB 34 10 9 136 580 3 25 4.3 58.0 13.6 9 79 8.8 0 27 0.9 7.9 145 4.5 659 3 5 5
1989 27 RAI RB 34 11 9 173 950 4 92 5.5 86.4 15.7 9 69 7.7 0 20 0.8 6.3 182 5.6 1019 4 1 7
1990* 28 RAI   34 10 0 125 698 5 88 5.6 69.8 12.5 6 68 11.3 0 18 0.6 6.8 131 5.8 766 5 3 7

cant tell if it’s the winning lottery numbers or words with friends. 

5 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Kinda true, brandon Jacobs won't make the Hall of Fame though.

No...but Henry is making his case if he can continue. Henry is way more talented as a RB than Jacobs ever thought about being. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Bo 40 - 4.13  Henry 40 - 4.54 😆

And henry is 6'5 now? Is he going to be 7' like william wallace by the end of this thread?

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Bish0p said:

Bo 40 - 4.13  Henry 40 - 4.54 😆

And henry is 6'5 now? Is he going to be 7' like william wallace by the end of this thread?

Bo - never broke 1,000 rushing yards

Henry - back 2 back 1,000 yard seasons with a hip that would make zeus blush.

Henry is as tall as he says he is, unless you want to argue with him. After you meet Henry or see him in person maybe you will be more affable to the truth. 

Henry - 4.54

Bo- 4.13

Guess who has the longer run from scrimmage? King Hendry.

Didn't get caught from behind so not sure that matters.

Bo was faster and somewhere between 20-30 pounds lighter.

Both hall of fame caliber talents.

Fast, yes, but I don’t believe for a second Bo ran a real 4.13. 

Hell I ran for 996 yards in one game with Bo on Tecmo Bowl, so maybe he could break 300 in today’s NFL. Probably not, but fun to speculate.  

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Bo - never broke 1,000 rushing yards

Well Bo was busy playing baseball at the start of each season, so would have been tough to break a 1000 yards. I should add, only person in human history to make the pro bowl and the all star game. Though Henry is one of my favorite current players.

• Like 1