Sign in to follow this  
sportsfreak2744

Carlos Correa 2021 Outlook

After a very anemic regular season (4 HR in 58 games, .383 SLG, .119 ISO) he hits 6 HR in 13 postseason games with an 8:11 BB:K ratio.

I was ready to write him off but considering the regular season was only 58 games and his postseason was *so* strong I'm still wondering how to value Correa for 2021 (and beyond). He only just turned 26 in September but is the upside still here? 

Frustrating that he was finally healthy (as far as we know) and yet still had such a confusing 2020.

What do we think?

He's right around #10 for me. Good power but the league isn't lacking for homers. Essentially no steals. Injury prone. 

Hes a nice bat but nothing special IMO, considering how deep SS is. A very solid MI option. Or if you league has a U slot, not a bad one there either (can slot in as SS if an injury arises)

Edited by 2ndCitySox
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, 2ndCitySox said:

He's right around #10 for me. Good power but the league isn't lacking for homers. Essentially no steals. Injury prone. 

Hes a nice bat but nothing special IMO, considering how deep SS is. A very solid MI option. Or if you league has a U slot, not a bad one there either (can slot in as SS if an injury arises)

This is gold advice and it’s free. 👆🏻👆🏻

• Thanks 1

As it stands on NFC, 12 shortstops go within the first ~100 picks then there is a 30 pick gap.  Correa is currently being drafted at #132 as the 14th SS off the board and sandwiched between Villar and Semien.  Edman, Didi, and Cronenworth follow then there's a 50 pick gap. 

In a 12 team league most managers have a SS at this point and we're looking at less of a "what do you think of this guy" and more of a "what does your team need at this point in the draft" kind of a situation.  Lots of 10-10 or 15-15 guys follow him, so if you are looking to address power without sacrificing AVG, Correa may be your guy.  Ultimately, as @2ndCitySox said, Correa will likely be a MI/Util option for most and not a bad one at all.

• Like 1

Eh...he’s not going to be a MI unless you take a SS early then double down on him.  He’s going to be a starting fantasy SS in the vast majority of redrafts 

2 hours ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Eh...he’s not going to be a MI unless you take a SS early then double down on him.  He’s going to be a starting fantasy SS in the vast majority of redrafts 

Doubling down on Correa is ideally how I would target him, or at least get a good backup to pair with him. Correa has hit 20+ HR's in 4 of his 5 years (not counting 2020) despite only playing more than 110 games just once. He hit 21 HR's in 2019 in only 75 games. That's 40 HR power if he can stay healthy and put it together for a full year. Knowing his potential is the most frustrating thing about Correa though.   

23 hours ago, jctexan said:

Doubling down on Correa is ideally how I would target him, or at least get a good backup to pair with him. Correa has hit 20+ HR's in 4 of his 5 years (not counting 2020) despite only playing more than 110 games just once. He hit 21 HR's in 2019 in only 75 games. That's 40 HR power if he can stay healthy and put it together for a full year. Knowing his potential is the most frustrating thing about Correa though.   

If I took Correa as my starting shortstop I would probably take another SS a few rounds later as a hedge. 

3 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

If I took Correa as my starting shortstop I would probably take another SS a few rounds later as a hedge. 

Yeah it is always good to have back-up for sure.  I took over a dynasty team last year that had both Correra and Willy Adames on it and ended up having Adames in my starting line-up a greater percentage of the time than Correra.  I'm keeping Correra but I'm also hedging my bets keeping Adames as well.  Or should I have worded that the other way around  with Correra as my back-up?  I agree if Correra could stay healthy it is still possible for him to return to his glory days but he is a gamble at this point as your full time starter.

The Astro's are going to be making some lineup adjustments, could that include a Correa trade?  Doesn't seem like the Astro's think they can bring him back once he becomes a FA and he seems intent to test the open market.

Edited by sharpsquare