Rotoworld.com Forums

Kendall Hinton 2020 Outlook

Did anyone watch the game? I feel like this also shows just how bad Denver’s coaching is. I understand you only have a day or two to put something together, but c’mon.

The few plays I saw, Hinton was running a 5 step drop back. I’m hoping there were bootlegs, screens, shuffle passes, and read options.

I know Fant caught one on a TE screen. Did they try making anything easy for him?

• Like 2
  • Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Honestly I’m starting him just because. No logic or reason. It’s just damn wild so let’s have some fun. 

Are we having some fun? 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, GottaGetTheWin said:

I'm not even criticizing because this seemed to be a common theme I've seen on a few posts that he would get between like 115-175 yards passing.  I'm just curious why anyone would think that a guy who hasn't played QB in 5 years...what a sales person a month ago...and was given 24 hours notice that he would now be the starting QB in a NFL game would have any type of success. 

You aren't alone in how you were thinking by a long shot so I just want to know what went into that line of thinking.  I'm honestly surprised he even had the passing yards that he did.  I didn't think he would complete a single pass unless it was like a shovel or something right at the line.

This isn't the bash the kid either...He was put into a literally impossible situation and he played his heart out.  I hope the Broncos gave him a game ball to take home because he deserved it, but there was no possibility of success here. 

They were hoping for Kurt Warner but had to settle for Pop Warner.

• Haha 1
23 minutes ago, tpat30 said:

Did anyone watch the game? I feel like this also shows just how bad Denver’s coaching is. I understand you only have a day or two to put something together, but c’mon.

The few plays I saw, Hinton was running a 5 step drop back. I’m hoping there were bootlegs, screens, shuffle passes, and read options.

I know Fant caught one on a TE screen. Did they try making anything easy for him?

Could you handle bootlegs, screens, shuffle passes and read options if you had two days to prepare? 

2 hours ago, GottaGetTheWin said:

I'm not even criticizing because this seemed to be a common theme I've seen on a few posts that he would get between like 115-175 yards passing.  I'm just curious why anyone would think that a guy who hasn't played QB in 5 years...what a sales person a month ago...and was given 24 hours notice that he would now be the starting QB in a NFL game would have any type of success. 

You aren't alone in how you were thinking by a long shot so I just want to know what went into that line of thinking.  I'm honestly surprised he even had the passing yards that he did.  I didn't think he would complete a single pass unless it was like a shovel or something right at the line.

This isn't the bash the kid either...He was put into a literally impossible situation and he played his heart out.  I hope the Broncos gave him a game ball to take home because he deserved it, but there was no possibility of success here. 

The pass he completed was right at the LOS. He took the snap and drifted to the right. Fant was on the left and chipped the DE before releasing into the flat, and Hinton turned around and flipped the ball to him. It was a nice play call. 

I'm like you...we can't bash this kid. He was put in an awful situation. This would have been tough against a below-average defense, so being put in this position against against a defense as hot as the Saints was just unfair. He threw two picks, and the Saints dropped two picks...the DL was in his face almost every time he dropped back. This was literally pulling a guy off the street and having him play QB for them. 

55 minutes ago, tpat30 said:

I don't think you understand the difficulty of the timing of screens, shovel passes, and read options. Players who have practiced these hundreds or thousands of times with their teammates make these look easy...they aren't. You don't just get than down in pregame. I'm guessing you don't realize Hinton wasn't able to practice as the starting QB, right? The first time he practiced a handoff with any of his RBs was in the pregame. And the pass to Fant wasn't a screen. 

I'll add, the Saints front seven was able to just pin its ears back and get after whoever lined up at QB because there was simply no threat of a completed pass. They were in Hinton's face every time he dropped back to pass, and frankly, he wouldn't have had time to run a screen. They did bootleg him a few times, but guess what...lol, he had guys in his face on those, too. 

This isn't on the Denver coaching, imho. There was simply nothing that could be done, especially against a defense playing as well as NOLA's. 

9 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

I don't think you understand the difficulty of the timing of screens, shovel passes, and read options. Players who have practiced these hundreds or thousands of times with their teammates make these look easy...they aren't. You don't just get than down in pregame. I'm guessing you don't realize Hinton wasn't able to practice as the starting QB, right? The first time he practiced a handoff with any of his RBs was in the pregame. And the pass to Fant wasn't a screen. 

I'll add, the Saints front seven was able to just pin its ears back and get after whoever lined up at QB because there was simply no threat of a completed pass. They were in Hinton's face every time he dropped back to pass, and frankly, he wouldn't have had time to run a screen. They did bootleg him a few times, but guess what...lol, he had guys in his face on those, too. 

This isn't on the Denver coaching, imho. There was simply nothing that could be done, especially against a defense playing as well as NOLA's. 

I’m talking WR screen, bubble screens etc... If they were able to run a TE screen, I’m pretty sure the could’ve run a quick WR screen. The Saints defense was great, so if they were in press coverage, WR screens would’ve mostly been useless too. I just feel like a coach like Shanahan or McCay or another competent coach could’ve found a way to do better than 1/9.

Just now, tpat30 said:

I’m talking WR screen, bubble screens etc... If they were able to run a TE screen, I’m pretty sure the could’ve run a quick WR screen. The Saints defense was great, so if they were in press coverage, WR screens would’ve mostly been useless too. I just feel like a coach like Shanahan or McCay or another competent coach could’ve found a way to do better than 1/9.

As I said earlier, they didn't run a TE screen. 

57 minutes ago, Spyplane said:

Could you handle bootlegs, screens, shuffle passes and read options if you had two days to prepare? 

Yep.

I didn’t get to see the game, but dropping back 5 steps and trying to read the defense while having pressure in your face is a lot tougher than taking one step and throwing to a WR or rolling out looking for someone in the flat and if not, toss it away. Bringing a WR in motion and then tossing it to him might’ve helped a little too.

It’s an impossible situation, but 1/9? I was thinking at worst, 4/10 lol.

Edited by tpat30
Just now, Flyman75 said:

I just want to reiterate...Hinton didn't have two days to prepare. The first time he actually practiced a handoff to his RBs was in the pregame. Hinton didn't get to practice with the Broncos as the QB. 

That’s understandable. There are simple plays a QB learns to run that don’t rely on timing. It’s not like they brought in a guy who’s never played QB. Like you said though, maybe it wouldn’t have mattered against the Saints defense.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, tpat30 said:

I'll tell you what I would have done if I were the coaching staff (and if they didn't understand, the general manager should've told them, or the owner should've told them, etc.).  I would've said the following:

"We are going to lose this game by as many points as New Orleans wants.  We have a lot of good young talent on this team: Fant, Albert O., Jeudy, Hamler, plus a big FA signing in Gordon and a solid player in Lindsay... my first and only priority is not getting one of them killed.  I don't want "Hinton" - whoever he is - throwing hospital balls over the middle that can get a guy like Fant decapitated.  I don't want him lollipopping screens behind the running backs who might be hung out to dry."

I would have basically done nothing other than run the ball and throw the occasional play-action deep shot down the sideline.  The thinking there being that throwing the ball long to a fast WR is about the simplest thing a QB can do and - if a long bomb pass down the sideline gets picked off - it often works like a punt.  40 yard pass, intercepted, guy gets tackled right away, no return, etc.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

I'm like you...we can't bash this kid. He was put in an awful situation. This would have been tough against a below-average defense, so being put in this position against against a defense as hot as the Saints was just unfair. He threw two picks, and the Saints dropped two picks...the DL was in his face almost every time he dropped back. This was literally pulling a guy off the street and having him play QB for them. 

Agreed.  There's a reason why what most would consider to be below-average QBs are still starting in this league.  It's got to be pretty darn hard to be a professional quarterback in the NFL.  That fraternity of 64-90ish guys who can do it is small for reason.  Just because you were a high school QB doesn't mean you can do it at the college level.  Just because you are a college QB, doesn't mean you'll be successful in the pros.  At every level, the lineman and DBs get bigger and faster.  Your skill level has to be rising as fast as the opponent, otherwise you fail.  

The fact that the Broncos wanted their QB coach to play first and they only went to Hinton when the NFL denied the request (which is crazy to think of in the first place, how does a coach get to be eligible to play?) should tell you all you need to know about how much confidence they had in Hinton.  I think they should have just gone all Wildcat the whole game like Ronnie Brown.